Fix It Sticks Lightweight Bicycle Multi-tool

18 Jan

A few years ago when I started writing reviews for cycling products I determined that I would never talk about a product that was not already commercially available. However, today I am going to break that rule for the first time so I can tell you about one of the coolest new cycling products I’ve seen in a long time—Fix It Sticks. A few weeks ago Brian Davis, the inventor of Fix It Sticks, sent me a fully functional “stage two” prototype of his patent pending creation. Davis just had his project accepted by Kickstarter, a Web-based program for funding creative projects (more about this at the end of the article).

Prototype Of The Fix It Sticks Bicycle Multi-tool

Prototype Of Fix It Sticks Bicycle Multi-tool

The basic idea behind Fix It Sticks is that most cyclists don’t want (or need) to carry a lot of repair tools with them, so Fix It Sticks just offer the bare essential tools for roadside repair (a flathead screwdriver and three Allen wrenches). The unique design of Fix It Sticks provides for a very lightweight tool (less than 50 grams) and it doesn’t take up much more room than a pack of gum (they are only 4″ long)! However, the real advantage of Fix It Sticks is that when you put the two pieces together it gives you a handle that provides an incredible amount of leverage—you can apply more torque with this tool than you can with just about any other cycling multi-tool on the market. This compact tool is constructed of high-quality aluminum and has steel bits for durability.

Fix It Sticks Offer Incredible Leverage

Fix It Sticks Offer Incredible Leverage

I don’t know how Davis is going to advertise this product in the future, but it ought to appeal to two main groups of cyclists. First, female cyclists will love the leverage this product offers—there are times when I don’t think even a muscle-bound weightlifter could get an old Allen bolt to budge, but Fix It Sticks will make the job a lot easier—even if you don’t have bulging biceps. The second group that is going to love this product will be those Roadies who are overly concerned about the weight of anything they put on their bike (the Weight Weenies among us).

Fix It Sticks do not come with tire levers at the moment, so you will have to supply your own (but they do have plans to add them in the future). Also, this product does not come with a chain break tool—this is not the end of the world since most cyclists don’t know how to use them anyway. Just to be clear: I own many cycling multi-tools and the further I go away from home the more tools I want to take with me, especially if I am riding off-road on treacherous terrain. Most cyclists will find Fix It Sticks adequate to meet their needs, but if you need a pedal wrench, Torx wrench and a bottle opener then this product is not for you.

Fix It Sticks As They Appear On Kickstarter

Fix It Sticks As They Appear On Kickstarter

Brian Davis is trying to raise money to start the production of Fix It Sticks. On January 15 his product was accepted by Kickstarter and if enough people pledge to help fund this project then production will start rather quickly. Davis needs $18,000 and about half of that amount was pledged within the first two days. You can donate any amount over $1 to help fund this project, and people who give $25 or more will receive a set of Fit It Sticks when they are manufactured (there are also several other levels of donation and they offer added benefits). Fix It Sticks are machined made in the USA (Appleton, Wisconsin to be exact). And in case you were wondering, I did give to this project—I hate to admit it, but when I’m on my Trek Madone I turn into a Weight Weenie myself. If you would like to donate to this project, or just read more about it, then please see the Fix It Sticks page on Kickstarter.

Posted by on January 18, 2013 in Bicycle Repair

Tags: , , , ,

27 responses to “Fix It Sticks Lightweight Bicycle Multi-tool

1. anniebikes

January 18, 2013 at 8:23 AM

Woah, that’s ingenious. I have a fondness for tools and this one is surely unique. Good luck to the inventor – there is so much competition in this market.

January 18, 2013 at 12:13 PM

You are so right about the competition! I think if they can market this properly it will have a lot of appeal. Like I said in the review, women ought to love this because it allows you to apply a lot of leverage without requiring large biceps (though I do know a few women who can bench press more than I can).

2. Jeff Katzer

January 18, 2013 at 12:25 PM

Well that’s pretty clever.

3. lamostz

January 18, 2013 at 4:40 PM

That is a brilliant idea! Convenient too.

January 18, 2013 at 9:50 PM

I think it is one of the best new ideas I’ve seen in a long time.

4. justcrankit

January 18, 2013 at 5:50 PM

In general that seems like a fantastic tool. It feels like it should have a small case maybe the size of a regular multi tool for more attachments or alan key heads. Otherwise pretty nifty.

January 18, 2013 at 6:22 PM

It does have a case, of sorts — at the moment they have a case made of on old inner tube (I’ve been making similar cases for years). They are also going to allow people to custom order the tool with different Allen keys.

5. Irish Katie

January 18, 2013 at 8:54 PM

Would it be just wrong to say that … I like that it came in that gold colour! (I am also trying to think what might be a plus or a minus screwdriver thing on my bike … I think most things are hex shaped?)

January 18, 2013 at 9:53 PM

Katie — as for the color, well, I love it too! As for the screwdriver — they are going to have an option where you can get the Allen keys (the hex shaped bits) you want for your particular bike — you won’t have to carry tools that you will never need. How cool is that?

• Irish Katie

January 18, 2013 at 9:55 PM

Ohhh … that is cool. I know you also said something about having a tire lever on it…THAT would be useful nod nods. (I have yet to get to the bike store to ask them about that one you wrote about the other day.)

January 18, 2013 at 10:00 PM

I haven’t seen the one they plan on offering with this tool, but it would be hard to surpass the one I reviewed a few days ago (hint: go to the bike shop and get one!).

6. trikatykid

January 18, 2013 at 10:12 PM

I would like a set of those!

January 20, 2013 at 8:31 AM

You can help bring the product into the market by following the link above — and I hope you do!

7. Ezra

January 19, 2013 at 12:14 PM

This is very, very cool. I’m glad they’ll be including a tire lever later on, once that’s on there I think this tool gives you a lot of what you’ll need in a great package.

January 20, 2013 at 8:32 AM

It would certainly help the marketing, but it would be hard to beat the Quick Stik Tire Lever I reviewed a few days ago.

• Ezra

January 20, 2013 at 7:55 PM

Yeah, I’m definitely picking up one of those Quick Stik’s, it looks great.

8. Cherry

January 19, 2013 at 9:48 PM

That’s such a neat creation – he should go on dragon’s den (or Shark’s tank in US?). I love that show! Who actually brings bottle opener on a ride – must be one stressful trip!!

January 20, 2013 at 8:35 AM

I just checked his Kickstarter page and he is almost at full funding for production right now. But Shark Tank (Dragon’s Den) would be cool as well. By the way, we really do have shark’s in the States. Do you have dragon’s in Canada? :)

• Cherry

January 20, 2013 at 9:44 AM

Of course! Dragons found in our igloos … c’mon now!! It’s common knowledge here!!

9. spokengear

January 22, 2013 at 6:23 AM

That tool looks really cool. Keep up the good work, and more cool stuff will come to you!

10. Bubble Gum

January 27, 2013 at 4:47 PM

These look a handy tool for life in general. We’ll donate (and not just because we’re cheeseheads who support folks from Appleton). When they’re done– I’m gonna keep one in my purse!

January 27, 2013 at 5:09 PM

That’s funny — I gave my wife the prototype I had for her to keep in her purse as well! My wife is very petite and with the leverage this tool provides I think she will enjoy it.