Quick Stik Bicycle Tire Changer Tool

16 Jan

I won’t say that I enjoy changing bicycle tires, but it is something that I seem to do a lot of. Not only do I go through a couple sets of tires every year due to normal use, but I also have to swap-out the tires on three of my bikes due to the changing of the seasons (winter tires). Sometimes tires are easy to install or take off by hand, but most of them need a tire lever to help you get the edge of the tire over the rim. This past summer I was talking with the guys at the local bike shop and noticed that all the mechanics used the Quick Stick to change tires, so I bought a pair to try out.

Quick Stik Bicycle Tire Lever

Quick Stik Bicycle Tire Changer Tool

Quick Stiks are made of molded nylon so they won’t scratch your rims or pinch your inner tubes. While no tire lever is going to be perfect for every tire, I believe this is the best all-around tire lever I’ve ever seen. Most people are only going to need a single lever to change a tire (though it wouldn’t hurt to carry a second one just in case).

The Quick Stik is six inches long which makes them longer than the levers you will find in your typical bicycle multi-tool, but smaller that the steel levers some of us have hanging on the wall in the garage. This tire lever has a wonderful grip which makes it so much easier to use than most of the other levers on the market. Weighing in at only 14.2 grams this lever can make even the most ardent Weight Weenie happy. One of the biggest benefits of the Quick Stik is that they will not nick your rims—some metal tire levers will shave off a bit of the rim as you are using them.

I wish I could tell you this lever will work with every tire/rim combo on the market, but that is not the case. Last week I was trying to remove a road bike tire and I couldn’t get it to budge with this lever—but then again, two other brands of tire levers didn’t work either. I think the problem was that the Mavic rim was very narrow and when combined with the Kevlar bead of the tire it seemed like nothing was going to work! Another part of the problem might have been that I had been riding in 19 degree weather and cold tires are always harder to remove—after I let the tires warm up in the garage I was finally able to remove the tire and patch the tube.

The Quick Stik retails for under $6 each and are available at just about any bike shop in North America—you can also find them at places like REI and on Amazon.com. The product is made in the U.S.A. by California Bike Gear. If you use this tool long enough (like daily use in a bike shop) you are going to wear a small grove in the plastic and will have to replace the lever—but at this price that really is not a problem.

Tags: , , , , ,

32 responses to “Quick Stik Bicycle Tire Changer Tool

1. OrganicREADY

January 16, 2013 at 8:26 AM

I have to share this with my husband. This is a neat tool!

2. pudgycyclist

January 16, 2013 at 8:57 AM

Thanks for the info. I’ll have to check out the specs. I’m tired of using the flat tire levers. One of the features I don’t see on this product is the hook that goes on to your spokes while you’re using another tire lever to remove the tire from the rim. I like that feature because it frees up my other hand to hold on to the tire and slip the tire off the rim with the other tire lever.

January 16, 2013 at 9:03 AM

This product does not have a spoke hook since they intend it to be the only tool you will need — and most of the time one will work.

3. Shonnie

January 16, 2013 at 10:25 AM

So you really like this tool. Do you think it would help a girl this arthritis hands change her tire more easily? Cuz I STINK at that

January 16, 2013 at 1:54 PM

Compared to the tire lever found in any bicycle multi-tool this one is going to be easier to use. However, there are some tire levers with much larger handles that would be easier for a someone with arthritis — but they wouldn’t fit in your saddlebag to carry with you.

4. baileyaj

January 16, 2013 at 11:37 AM

I have used the Quick Stik for the past year. I like that you only need one to change a tire and is yellow, so it contrasts against the ground when it is set down.

I haven’t had any problems using it until last weekend. A cyclist flatted out right in front of my house. I helped him out, but I couldn’t get the Quick Stik to work on his tire, so I had to pull out the old tire irons.

January 16, 2013 at 1:55 PM

The yellow color sure makes it pop out of your saddlebag! Some tires just don’t like to be removed I’m afraid.

5. Bokchoi Cowboy

January 16, 2013 at 11:50 AM

Had an interesting experience with the Quik Stik when changing out some old tires on some tight rims. I had gone through several other plastic levers, so I hit up REI and got one of these as well as some of the highly rated Pedros levers. At the end the Pedros levers were toast and the Quik Stik a bit chewed up but still functional. When I got my new wheels I also got a new Quik Stik and the tires went on with no problem at all. http://bokchoicowboy.blogspot.com/2012/11/equipment-review-pedros-tire-levers-and.html

6. adventurecrow

January 16, 2013 at 12:37 PM

No doubt the best! Ever changed a downhill tire on a mt bike? Impossible without these!

January 16, 2013 at 1:56 PM

Glad you like them as well! Those thick downhill tires don’t like to be messed with!

7. Irish Katie

January 16, 2013 at 6:11 PM

I have seen a few of the commenters say it indeed only took just one of these to remove the tire … I am wondering how much stregth you need to do this? Not just for the lever … but for the other hand to remove the rest of the tire off of the rim.

I am like pudgycyclist in that I use the ones with the spoke hook at the end so it frees up both my other hands to remove the tire and hold the wheel steady. (The one’s I have are …ack…can’t recall the brand name … it’s in my bike rack bag … but it’s nylon as well.)

Hmmm … if I remember I will buy one to compare when I start in on riding again … it’s under $10 so it seems worth a try at least. (I like that it is bright yellow. ANYTHING that adds visibility, no matter how small has got to be a good thing. Especially given you’re potentially alongside the roadway if you have a flat.)

January 16, 2013 at 6:32 PM

It is perfect for mountain bike tires, but the smaller the diameter of the tire the harder it is to work with. I am convinced that there are some tires that are only meant to be removed with a sharp knife (or chainsaw). The next time you are at a bike shop ask the mechanics what they think of it — they might let you try one out while you are in the store (the shop I use would — but they are super nice folks).

• Irish Katie

January 16, 2013 at 7:05 PM

Oh … that is a good idea … I can ask them nod nods. It might work with my tires then … it is no where near as wide as the mountain bike tires…but neither are they skinny like the racers! (26 x 1.75 I think it is.)

January 16, 2013 at 9:30 PM

I don’t think you would have any trouble with 26 x 1.75 tires — but it wouldn’t hurt to try it out at the shop anyway (better there than on the side of the road).

8. the drunken cyclist

January 16, 2013 at 8:42 PM

I agree–this is great with mountain bike tires, but I have not been able to make it work all that well on road wheels.

9. pushingmiles

January 16, 2013 at 9:31 PM

Oh! This sounds like somethings I’d like to try. I’ll have to check out the rei website. thanks for the review!

• pushingmiles

January 16, 2013 at 9:32 PM

P.S. – I’d try these out when on tour!

January 16, 2013 at 9:38 PM

REI sometimes has great sales on off-season cycling wear.

• pushingmiles

January 16, 2013 at 9:40 PM

Yeah! I tend to check those out on occasion. Thanks :)

10. Charles Huss

January 17, 2013 at 5:19 AM

I had one of these years ago and loved it but lost it. I recently needed to replace my tires and tried to find another one locally but had to settle for conventional tire levers. I think, now that you reminded me, I will check the bike shop next time I am there or just order it from Amazon.

11. munierk

January 18, 2013 at 7:47 AM

this is a cool tool, pity they dont have it down here in cape town..

January 18, 2013 at 12:06 PM

That is so sad! If you ever find someone heading to the States then you need to ask them to stop at a bike shop and pick one up for you — they are so lightweight it will easily fit into their luggage on the way home.

12. Ezra

January 19, 2013 at 12:16 PM

Hmm, I really have to pick one of these up. I have a few different tire levers, but I’ve been changing so many tires lately(unfortunately) that I’d love something to make it a bit smoother.

13. Bike to Work

January 21, 2013 at 5:59 PM

I bought one of these from my favorite local bike shop. It’s all I use, and it’s basically all they use, too!

January 21, 2013 at 6:56 PM

A lot of cyclists believe this is the best compact tire lever on the market. However, I still have a few more levers sitting around that I’ve not used yet.

14. Mary Bielemeyer

January 22, 2014 at 8:35 PM

I just came across this and must say I’m so excited about these reviews. We have been making and selling these to the bike industry for over 20 years! Ask for them by name in your local bike shops. Would love to link your review to our website if possible.

January 22, 2014 at 10:05 PM

You are more than welcome to link to the article! I started buying Quick Stiks to pass out to my friends — they belong in every saddle bag!

15. Mary Bielemeyer

January 22, 2014 at 10:09 PM

Awesome! Consider yourself LINKED. Thank you!