I’m Not Dead Yet

08 Jun
Surly Necromancer Pugsley Fat Bike

My Surly Necromancer basking in the sun along the Des Plaines River in Illinois

It has been nearly a month since my last post and in the past few days I’ve received a few letters from fellow bloggers who were wondering if I was OK. Well, in the words of the poor guy in Monty Python and the Holy Grail, “I’m not dead.” In fact, I feel better than I have in many years.

Everyone in the Midwest knows how brutal this past winter was (second highest snowfall in Chicago history along with the coldest four-month period in Chicago history). About a month ago a really strange thing happened—I got up one morning and there was a really bright light up in the sky and it was giving off heat! It was such a strange sight that I almost called the police department, but a friend told me that it was something called “the sun.” It was such a pleasant thing that I got on my road bike and haven’t done much else since then (which explains why I haven’t been writing articles for this blog).

My first 1,500 miles for the year were all done on the snow and ice—which means that I rarely saw any other cyclists. However, now that the sun is out all of those wimps who spent the winter inside riding their bikes in the basement are now back on the roads (heaven help us all).

In a few days I will be publishing a review of the Tribesports Cycling Jersey—it is an extremely high-quality jersey that sells for an unbelievably low price.

Posted by on June 8, 2014 in Life On Two Wheels

Tags: , , , , ,

38 responses to “I’m Not Dead Yet

1. sueslaght

June 8, 2014 at 9:44 PM

Your description of the bright light in the sky had me laughing out loud. Great to see you back.
    Signed-one of those wimps who is back on her bike :)

June 8, 2014 at 10:33 PM

Glad you are back on your bike — I hope your road handling skills did not deteriorate over the winter (like a lot of the cyclists I’ve observed in the past three weeks).

• sueslaght

June 8, 2014 at 10:36 PM

We have been cycling for about 4-6 weeks. Id like to think my skills are pretty solid. Happy riding :)

2. PedalWORKS

June 8, 2014 at 9:47 PM

LOL. Glad you are back.

3. billgncs

June 8, 2014 at 10:04 PM

I’m glad you’re back too! Good to see you, figuratively speaking :)

June 8, 2014 at 10:33 PM

It is amazing how great the sun feels after it being gone for seven months!!!

• billgncs

June 8, 2014 at 10:52 PM

Yep – we’ve been riding the I&M canal – great to see turtles instead of snow-flakes :)

4. sedge808

June 8, 2014 at 10:06 PM

big wheels

5. sedge808

June 8, 2014 at 10:07 PM

love your ‘sun’ story.

6. Joboo

June 8, 2014 at 10:20 PM

Never had any doubts whatsoever!! ;)
    As a fellow winter biking enthusiast, and a fellow Midwesterner, I too have been enjoying that “really bright light up in the sky!!”
    Keep the rubber side down, and pedal on!!
    Peace, Joboo

June 8, 2014 at 10:36 PM

I knew you would understand! I love winter cycling, but after seven months of snow and ice I was ready for some sunshine and calm winds.

7. Elaine @ foodbod

June 9, 2014 at 1:07 AM

One of those strange bright yellow things has appeared in our skies a few times recently too….still trying to figure out what it is before it disappears again!!!

8. simon682

June 9, 2014 at 2:30 AM

Writing or riding? Time to redress the balance.

9. ATdF

June 9, 2014 at 3:00 AM

how many times? how many times i told you…come to italy my friend. yesterday 31° in the dolomiti (-;

June 10, 2014 at 1:15 PM

The Dolomites? Are you trying to kill me my friend? I don’t think my legs would ever get used to that much climbing!

10. Jill

June 9, 2014 at 3:40 AM

Glad you are okay…I was wondering as well. Glad you are enjoying that odd bright ball in the sky.

11. elisariva

June 9, 2014 at 4:15 AM

My trainer is in my home office upstairs next to a sliding door and window. I rode next to the snow all winter!

June 10, 2014 at 1:17 PM

Next winter place your trainer on the other side of the glass — instead of tan lines you can start worrying about frostbite lines!

12. Gwen Stephens

June 9, 2014 at 4:54 AM

Glad to see you back, and I understand as a fellow Chicagoan and year-round runner. My cut-off in the winter (when I pack it in and do a treadmill run) is -10 with windchill. Summer so far has been perfect. I hope it stays this way. We’re due.

June 10, 2014 at 1:19 PM

It seems like most of the winter we had a windchill of -10 or more. I live just a mile or so from Lake Michigan and the wind off the lake was rather fierce this year – almost enough to make me want to ride inside (I said “almost”).

13. thehomeschoolingdoctor

June 9, 2014 at 7:02 AM

“However, now that the sun is out all of those wimps who spent the winter inside riding their bikes in the basement are now back on the roads (heaven help us all).” No stinking kidding! They’re already complaining about the heat and humidity! I’m like, “Hand me the water hose.” You will NOT hear me complain about the heat and humidity this summer. No way. Glad you’re back out killing the roads!~~Terri

June 10, 2014 at 1:19 PM

The people who complained all winter about the cold are the same folks who complain all summer abut the heat and humidity — you just can’t please some folks!

14. Mountainstroh (Tony)

June 9, 2014 at 9:04 AM

Welcome back and enjoy shiny yellow thing in the sky

15. runnershealth

June 9, 2014 at 12:33 PM

Hope you’ll have a really great summer!
    Happy cycling.

16. shenrydafrankmann

June 9, 2014 at 2:49 PM

Took a lot of dedication to get the base miles in this year, but I am glad for forcing myself out on those cold days. I can relate to your post. I am riding a whole lot more than writing!

June 10, 2014 at 1:21 PM

You are so right — those base miles were hard to come by, but really worth it.

17. rantsrulesandrecipes

June 16, 2014 at 1:24 PM

Anytime you get to begin a sentence with “My first 1500 miles ….”
    Means you’re a bad a$$!

June 17, 2014 at 9:57 PM

I am now at 2,400 for the year and hope to get in at least another 2,600. I average over 6,000 miles a year, but our first grandchild is due in August and I imagine I will miss several days as a result (family always comes before cycling).