Pearl Izumi P.R.O. Thermal Long Sleeve Jersey

25 Mar

I own more pieces of Pearl Izumi cycling gear than any other brand because they consistently offer high quality clothing that shows evidence of meticulous attention to detail. Between shorts, tights, jackets, jerseys, vests, gloves and base layers I probably own 60 to 70 pieces of their gear. A lot of their clothing carries a small tag to tell you when the clothing was manufactured. When you look at almost any piece of their clothing you can see small changes that take place from year to year—and always for the better. One of the finest pieces of cycling wear I have ever purchased is the Pearl Izumi P.R.O. Thermal Long Sleeve Jersey—and if spend a lot of time cycling in cool weather this thermal jersey will make your rides a lot more enjoyable (and you’ll look better too).

Pearl Izumi P.R.O. Thermal Long Sleeve Jersey

Pearl Izumi P.R.O. Thermal Long Sleeve Jersey

The Pearl Izumi P.R.O. Thermal Long Sleeve Jersey is made from a fabric composed of 63% polyester, 27% Minerale polyester, and 10% elastane. I don’t know exactly how they form the polyester into this thermal fabric, but it is extremely comfortable, highly breathable and incredibly warm—and yet it is very lightweight. This jersey also dries quickly after washing and is odor resistant.

Pearl Izumi P.R.O. Thermal Long Sleeve Jersey

Full-length zipper with draft flap

This jersey has a full-length front zipper with an internal draft flap with a zipper garage to seal in the heat. There is a drawstring around the neck that adjusts in the back—you can open it up a bit if you start to overheat.

Pearl Izumi P.R.O. Thermal Long Sleeve Jersey

Zippered front pocket with reflective piping

The front pocket on this jersey is large enough to easily hold an iPhone or other cell phone, and there is an opening in the back of the pocket that allows you to pass a headphone cable through. Around the zipper is a piece of highly reflective material (and this jersey has several other pieces of reflective piping as well).

Pearl Izumi P.R.O. Thermal Jersey

Three rear pockets plus a zippered sweat-proof pocket

On the back of this jersey you will find three full-length pockets along with a small sweat-proof zippered pocket. In addition, there is a piece of elasticized gripper material on back of the jersey to keep the hem in place. You will also notice that the back of this jersey is cut longer than the front to keep your backside warm (and to keep you from offending anyone riding behind you). The Pearl Izumi Website says the recommended temperature range for this jersey is between 45˚F and 55˚F and I think these numbers are correct. You could also use it in slightly cooler weather if you wear a thin thermal base layer under it.

The Pearl Izumi P.R.O. Thermal Long Sleeve Jersey is not cheap! The men’s version retails for $160 and is available in three colors (Red, Black, and White). The women’s version is $10 cheaper and comes in four colors (Red, Black, White, and Hi-Vis Yellow). Prices for this jersey on Amazon.com range from $110 to $150. If you just can’t justify spending that much money on a thermal jersey you might want to consider the Pearl Izumi Select Thermal Jersey—it is missing a few of the nice finishing touches the P.R.O. jersey has, but will certainly keep you warm (and save you about $50).

Tags: , , , ,

18 responses to “Pearl Izumi P.R.O. Thermal Long Sleeve Jersey

1. Kent @runbikeraceblog

March 25, 2013 at 6:11 AM

I like the sweatproof pocket idea. I always put my phone in a ziplock to keep the sweat out. Does it work well?

March 25, 2013 at 10:11 AM

The sweat-proof pocket works well! I carry my iPhone in the front pocket and save the sweat-proof pocket for my car keys.

2. Marguerite Nico

March 25, 2013 at 6:37 AM

I don’t ride if the temperature is fifty or below, so this might be helpful.

3. billgncs

March 25, 2013 at 6:38 AM

I got some good thermal shirts at REO and then wear my bright yellow standard jersey on top ( for visibility )

March 25, 2013 at 10:12 AM

I should have mentioned that I wear this jersey on off-road trails so I don’t have to worry about visibility. I have a red one for road use.

4. Irish Katie

March 25, 2013 at 6:53 AM

Ohh…this one has the neck closure thingy…that is always good nod nods. I hate wearing a jersey that is open collared and then it starts to rain…ack!

This one looks really handsome…but ohhhh the price. Oh…I am thinking of signing up for a ride here that just might give a jersey with an entry lol. I feel so cheap sometimes lol.

March 25, 2013 at 10:14 AM

The drawstring around the neck is great — I hate it when it starts raining and you can feel it going down your back — as if you weren’t going to get cold enough already. The jersey is expensive, but think of how nice you will look in it!

5. Lisa

March 25, 2013 at 8:59 AM

Cleaned out my closet this weekend and found 2 pair of Pearl shorts I forgot I even had. SCORE!

6. snosler

March 25, 2013 at 12:39 PM

Love it!

7. sarahsdoodles

March 25, 2013 at 8:54 PM

Yikes! That is one expensive zip-up! I must say I do love the hidden pocket in the back. Finally, that seems to be becoming the norm these days!

March 25, 2013 at 10:24 PM

I thought the jersey was expensive until I looked at the prices on my wife’s shoes — then the jersey didn’t look too expensive after all! :)

8. Beth

March 26, 2013 at 8:22 AM

I absolutely love Pearl Izumi gear. Agreed – consistently high quality, lovely features, and wear like iron. They make stuff that fits even us Athenas! I have multiple gloves, jerseys, shorts, and shoes.

9. the drunken cyclist

March 26, 2013 at 7:24 PM

Huge PI fan–if they had a custom program, I would certainly push my club to get their gear.