CamelBak Performance 22-Ounce Water Bottle

08 Feb

Last night I cleaned out the kitchen cabinet where I keep the sports bottles I use for cycling. After throwing out several bottles that looked pretty ragged I am now down to just 24 bottles (so I went to Amazon.com and ordered a few more). Many of the bottles I own are “special use” bottles—some are insulated for winter use, while others have domed covers to protect the spout when I ride in the mud. One of the more unusual bottles I own is the CamelBak Performance 22-Ounce Water Bottle.

CamelBak Performance 22-Ounce Water Bottle

CamelBak Performance 22-Ounce Water Bottle

The CamelBak Performance Water Bottle is made of 100% BPA-free polypropylene and the bite valve is made from medical grade silicone. The cap on this bottle toggles to open and close and it is totally leak-proof—I mean not a single drop is going to escape. This bottle also has a Fuel Gauge—a clear strip up the side of the bottle that makes it easy to see how much water you have left.

Outdoor Research Water Bottle Parka

Outdoor Research Water Bottle Parka On The Front Fork Of My Necromancer

From the outside the CamelBak Performance Water Bottle looks like most other bottles, but the straw inside the bottle means you don’t have to tilt your head back to get a drink—so you never have to take your eyes off the road while drinking! However, that is not the reason I bought these bottles. My Surly Necromancer has the same front fork as a Surly Moonlander, which means it has a lot of braze-ons so you can attach a Salsa Anything Cage to the fork. I mount an Outdoor Research Water Bottle Parka in the cage and that allows me to carry almost any standard bicycle water bottle in it all winter long without fear of my drinks freezing. The only problem with the parka is getting you water bottle out of it—but since the CamelBak Performance water bottle has a hook on the lid it pulls right out of the parka.

The CamelBak Performance 22-Ounce Water Bottle retails for $9 and is available in three colors (Blue, Red, and Silver). I doubt if many bike shops stock this item, but most of then can easily order it for you. The bottle is also available online from Amazon.com and from the CamelBak Website. This product comes with a limited lifetime manufacturer’s warranty.

Posted by on February 8, 2013 in Product Reviews

Tags: , , , , ,

21 responses to “CamelBak Performance 22-Ounce Water Bottle

1. Shonnie

February 8, 2013 at 8:15 AM

I will have to check that out. Love the idea of not having to throw your head back. :)

February 8, 2013 at 2:53 PM

I wish I would have had a couple of these about 15 years ago after I had a bad auto accident — I couldn’t tilt my head back for nearly three years.

• Shonnie

February 8, 2013 at 3:10 PM

WOW. That would be a challenge. They seem like a great move all around.

2. tischcaylor

February 8, 2013 at 8:47 AM

Nice. And I love knowing there are cute little parkas I can buy for my water bottles…

3. cupcaketravels

February 8, 2013 at 9:31 AM

Looks like a very handy bottle. I had to look up 22 ounces though – who knew that was really 650ml? :D

February 8, 2013 at 2:55 PM

Thank you for doing the conversion for me! I usually try to give both measurements, but I forgot to do it this time.

• cupcaketravels

February 9, 2013 at 6:23 AM

LOL, I have no idea about imperial measurements at all so I just had to look it up :D

4. ohlefty

February 8, 2013 at 10:23 AM

Nice. It’s time for me to restock too. I’ve been using Camelbak Podium Bottles, which I like because they’re so easy to open and close…but I’ve noticed that they leak sometimes, especially when I put in an effervescent tablet like Nuun. I’ll have to check these out!

February 8, 2013 at 2:57 PM

I use the Camelbak Podium Bottles a lot during the summer — they are great bottles as well.

5. the drunken cyclist

February 8, 2013 at 1:20 PM

We have several of these bottles and they are great!

February 8, 2013 at 2:58 PM

Thanks for the endorsement — I don’t think I’ve ever seen another cyclist with these bottles on their bike.

6. womencyclists

February 8, 2013 at 6:26 PM

I feel incredibly inadequate–we have 4 water bottles between the two of us!! Well, time to buy more!

So I have a question. We all know that BPA is horrible ( and especially women). Messes with estrogen levels as is linked with cancer and all that. So onto BPA-free, right?

Well, what is used instead of BPA and how do we know it’s better? I read in a magazine (i.e., NOT where I trust the scientific information presented) that they use BPB instead, and it’s actually MORE easily absorbed in our bodies than BPA.

Ugh, right? I tend to use glass anyway. But that doesn’t cut it while on a bike! Anyway…if you have any info or have ideas where to look for more info, that’d be an interesting read! I’m planning on trying to read up on the actual research myself, but it’s not my field and I can’t distract myself with work too much!!

February 8, 2013 at 7:02 PM

This question is actually easy to answer for a change! Instead of BPA, CamelBak uses polypropylene (the same stuff baby bottles are now made out of). Polypropylene is the safest of all plastics and is thought to be among the safest choices for food containers.

7. Irish Katie

February 8, 2013 at 11:15 PM

You have HOW MANY H2O bottles?!?!!?

February 9, 2013 at 1:07 AM

24 in the cabinet and 4 more on the way — doesn’t every one? I always buy them in matching pairs and I have reviewed a lot of bottles in the past two years.

8. Cherry

February 9, 2013 at 5:49 PM

I like this design & is no stranger to their other camelbak models with bite valves. You bought 2 of the same bottle?

February 9, 2013 at 9:11 PM

I always buy my bottles in pairs — I like them to match in the water bottle cages on my bikes. There are a few bottles that I own three of since one of my mountain bikes has three water bottle cages.

9. Nancy L. Seibel

February 10, 2013 at 6:23 PM

“Just 24…so I ordered…some more”. That is wonderful.

February 10, 2013 at 9:24 PM

I look at it like this: my 24 water bottles take up a lot less room than the 200 pairs of shoes my wife owns (the number of shoes might be slightly exaggerated).

• Nancy L. Seibel

February 11, 2013 at 7:22 AM

Might be slightly exaggerated. But fair is fair. And not to take sides or anything because I do get the shoe thing, but true enough about the space needed for water bottles vs shoes.