3,000 Miles Down

07 Jul
A rare photo of the All Seasons Cyclist without snow on the ground!

A rare photo of the All Seasons Cyclist without snow on the ground!

A few months ago I mentioned that the first 1,000 miles of the year are the hardest—at the time I didn’t know how difficult the second 1,000 miles was going to be! My first 1,000 miles for this year were all in the snow, while the second 1,000 miles seemed to be all going into a strong headwind (I live in the Chicago area). Fortunately, the third 1,000 miles proved to be a lot easier and this morning I passed the 3,000 mile mark for the year. For the past several years I have averaged a little over 6,000 miles of cycling per year. Last year I was just one short bike ride away from 5,000 miles because I had to take some time off the bike due to surgery (and then I was rather slow for a while during recovery). The brutal winter we had this year has put me seriously behind my normal schedule and it is rather doubtful that I will hit 6,000 miles this year.

A visit from the Puncture Fairy

A visit from the Puncture Fairy

This morning I rode with a friend of mine, Anna, and she had a visit from the Puncture Fairy about 50 miles into our ride. I am not sure what Anna did to tick off the Puncture Fairy, but she double-flatted today!

Posted by on July 7, 2014 in Life On Two Wheels

Tags: , , , , , ,

43 responses to “3,000 Miles Down

1. Lee Kestler

July 7, 2014 at 7:18 PM

Congrats, well done.

2. nyuwa

July 7, 2014 at 8:53 PM

Keep up the good “work”! I am a German living in Japan and love cycling. I am doing this since my boyscout days and ride approximately 8,000 km a year. I guess that is somewhere around 6,000 miles. I do it mainly for excercise and by doing so managed to drop 20 kg of extra weight I gained after having a nasty accident with my bike that required surgery twice.
    Unfortunately, the roads here a narrow and full of cars …
    I love cycling. But when I ride, poor as I am in old, ragged shirt and pants on an old rather unfashionable bike, and greet people I pass on my way .. those people on high class bikes all dressed up in expensive brands wear apparently prefer “not to see me”. Like not wearing those fashionable clothes brandmarks me as an “untouchable” in the bicycle world …

But if a judgement of your pictures is possible, it seems you have some real nice place to ride. I envy you for that.

July 7, 2014 at 9:23 PM

My area of the world is pretty nice in the summer, but deep in snow for four or five months out of the year. It is always fun to think about the people who “ignore” you because they are on more expensive bikes — I imagine most of them are lucky if they can ride one-third of the distance you do every year!

• nyuwa

July 20, 2014 at 8:07 AM

Thank you. Yes, I think so too. The same always comes to mind, when glittering, sparking motorcycle pass me. Probably those people spend a lot more time on POLISHING their bikes than actually riding them. (Which is in case of motocycles just fine. That way they do not contribute to the already bad pollution.) Expensive bikes … actually, I came to Japan in order to learn “Kyudo” = Japanese archery. If you compare a Japanese bow with one of those sport bows, their simplicity is obvious. It says here, that not the tool itself has to be improved. The person using that tool improve/develop. I do like that attitude.
        Greetings from Japan

3. Sue Slaght

July 7, 2014 at 11:58 PM

Happy to see you in the summer time! Congrats on 3000miles! After your post on the puncture fairy I took a class on changing flats, carry the right gear and am ready for a visit. :)

July 8, 2014 at 4:45 PM

Glad you took the class on changing flats! Just don’t ever tell anyone how long it has been since your last flat, or the PF will visit you for sure!

• Sue Slaght

July 8, 2014 at 7:49 PM

I’m expecting a visit any moment but at least I’m ready. :)

4. ATdF

July 8, 2014 at 1:26 AM

ooohhh…finally…welcome summer in chicago!

5. elphin70

July 8, 2014 at 2:29 AM

Congratulations on 3,000 miles up. My goal is 1,500 for the entire year! If I rode any more often my wife would sell my bike I think…

July 8, 2014 at 4:52 PM

Funny, I have ride that much just to prove to my wife why I need five bikes!

6. billgncs

July 8, 2014 at 2:44 AM

great accomplishment, getting in those miles. We are over in France to watch a stage of the Tour De France – I hope one day to rent a bike and ride a bit, just to say I got some miles in here.

I am just over 700 miles, and seeing your mileage inspires me to go farther.

July 8, 2014 at 4:46 PM

Lucky you!!! I’ve always wanted to visit France during the Tour but haven’t found the time to do so yet!

7. Charles Huss

July 8, 2014 at 5:26 AM

Goals are great but don’t fret about missing yours. After all, if you had no goal, you probably would not be as far as you are now.

July 8, 2014 at 4:47 PM

I set the goal at a minimum of 5,000 per year, but with the hopes of hitting over 6,000 (or 7,000 in a good year).

• Charles Huss

July 8, 2014 at 5:19 PM

That’s great that you can stay motivated to do that.

8. unsportywomencanrun

July 8, 2014 at 6:14 AM

Awesome mileage in trying conditions – most impressed.

9. PedalWORKS

July 8, 2014 at 8:46 AM

Well done!

10. Jeff Katzer

July 8, 2014 at 8:46 AM

Well done my friend.

11. Wayne

July 8, 2014 at 9:01 AM

Speaking of expensive brand names, are those Keen Commuter III sandals on Anna’s feet? If so, how does she like them for longer distances?

July 8, 2014 at 4:49 PM

Good eye! Yes, Anna loves her Keen sandals — it has to be pretty cold for her to wear regular cycling shoes.

12. Art Brûlant

July 8, 2014 at 11:35 AM

Well done !

13. Frank Burns

July 8, 2014 at 11:50 AM

Great achievement…..but if you did 3000 in the first half of the year (especially with a very challenging winter) you might be surprised that 6000 (and more) might be within your grasp.

July 8, 2014 at 4:50 PM

It is possible that I will hit 6,000 — but we have our first grandchild due in a few weeks and I imagine that will hinder my training schedule a bit (but it will be worth it).

14. Mountainstroh (Tony)

July 8, 2014 at 3:02 PM

Hate the multiple PF visits! glad to see the weather improving though!

July 8, 2014 at 4:50 PM

It’s bad enough when she visits once, but two punctures at the same time is a real pain!

15. Sandra

July 8, 2014 at 8:41 PM

Wow, I hope some day to hit that many miles! I know that’s not where you want to be, but I am still in awe (knowing what your winter was like). . .
    We had our first grandchild last year and enjoyed his first birthday in June! :-) All of my June travel really cut into my cycling miles. I had hoped to be over 700 at this point. Soon I hope to do my first half century. I’m excited!

July 9, 2014 at 12:07 AM

I hope you make that half-century real soon (I know you can do it) — and congratulations on the grandchild — we should have our first one next month.

16. Chief Scott Silverii, Ph.D.

July 9, 2014 at 8:10 AM

Every mile counts – even if the flat fairy tries to stop you. Way to go

July 10, 2014 at 6:18 PM

Every mile counts (though the miles in the snow ought to count as double).

17. Gwen Stephens

July 9, 2014 at 5:48 PM

Fantastic – that’s remarkable. The year’s only half over, so barring any unforeseen complications, you just might make that 6k landmark. Love the rare warm weather photo, by the way!

July 10, 2014 at 6:19 PM

About once a year I am able to find someone to snap a photo (there is already so much suffering in the world that I hate to add any more)

18. runnershealth

July 10, 2014 at 10:08 AM

Well done! Your courage to go out in all weathers is admirable! (I don’t cycle when it is wet.)
    Keep going!

July 10, 2014 at 6:20 PM

I can’t really say that I “enjoy” riding in the rain, but I do seem to find myself in it often enough.

19. thehomeschoolingdoctor

July 12, 2014 at 8:18 PM

Great pics! A double flat! Ouch! Maybe the fall and winter will be mild and you’ll make up for lost time!

July 18, 2014 at 5:39 PM

Thank you! I am certainly trying to make up for lost time—we will see how it turns out (a lot of it depends on the weather this fall and winter).

20. Steve

July 12, 2014 at 11:28 PM

It’s the experiences you have and the stories you can tell that make all those miles worth it. Thanks for sharing them with us.