Orp Smart Horn: The Most Anticipated Cycling Product Of The Year

16 Jan
Orp Smart Horn (Smorn)

Orp Smart Horn (Smorn)

What does an inventor do when they have a great idea for a new product but lack the funding to bring it to market? Many inventors turn to Kickstarter, a website where they can promote their idea and seek financial backers. Sometimes the backers donate money just because they think the project is worthwhile and other times they contribute enough to earn a few perks (anything from decals or a copy of the finished product, and all the way up to a trip to the manufacturing plant). Over the past few years I’ve helped back several projects that had to do with cycling, but the one I have anticipated the most is the new Orp Smart Horn.

Orp Smart Horn (Smorn)

Orp Smart Horn (Smorn)

The Orp Smart Horn {Smorn} is a “combination dual tone, high-decibel bike horn and front beacon light designed to make you more visible and hearable.” While the Orp is not in distribution yet, the specs for this item are fantastic! The Orp is smaller than almost any other bicycle light on the market, and the horn is louder than any bike bell could ever dream of being. The horn is activated by touching an ergonomic switch on the back of the device (the Wail Tail) and you can choose from either a friendly chirp (76 decibels) or a loud ear-splitting alert (96 decibels). The light on the Orp has 87 lumens and operates in several modes, including Slow Strobe, Fast Strobe, and Constant On. This product is also incredibly compact and lightweight (only 89 grams).

The Orp is powered by a rechargeable lithium-ion power cell and should last from 6 to 12 hours, depending on the settings you choose to use. This battery recharges with a USB cable—which means you can just plug it into your computer to recharge it (great for commuters).

The suggested list price for the Orp Smart Horn is only $65 and it will be available in seven colors (Glorp, Aorta Red, Snot Green, Frostbyte, Safety Cone Orange, Wail Blue, and Asphalt Black).

Tags: , , , , , , ,

27 responses to “Orp Smart Horn: The Most Anticipated Cycling Product Of The Year

1. MikeW

January 16, 2014 at 9:13 PM

This one definitely gets forwarded to my cycling family members and friends.

2. sueslaght

January 16, 2014 at 9:58 PM

I definitely want one of these!

January 16, 2014 at 10:53 PM

I have one coming for me, but I wish I would have ordered a few more in some of the other colors.

3. Admin

January 16, 2014 at 10:35 PM

Definitely gotta get one of these.

4. cyclerist

January 17, 2014 at 1:32 AM

Really great idea!
    Although at 65 $ with these 2 features it seems as a smart choice.
    Or wait until the chinese makers start copying these :)

January 17, 2014 at 9:33 PM

This is going to be a great product and I have no doubt that someone will ripoff their design within a few weeks after it is introduced (and you know how those really cheap imitation products hold up in daily use!).

5. an uncommon girl

January 17, 2014 at 9:37 AM

interesting color names

January 17, 2014 at 9:34 PM

Yeah, I got a chuckle out of those names as well — but a couple of them actually make sense!

6. surfsensei

January 19, 2014 at 1:12 PM

Thanks for posting this, it’s useful information, I’ll inform other cyclists I know.

7. surfsensei

January 19, 2014 at 1:30 PM

Reblogged this on surfsensei and commented:
    This looks like a really useful device, especially for a commuting cyclist having to cope with densely-packed peak time traffic and fragmented, poorly-designed, cycle routes. I wonder how many people in the Netherlands or Denmark or other northern European countries will feel they need both extra bright lights and loud sirens to keep themselves safe on the road.
    So I try to do something to get our local government officers to improve the situation so as to make it easy and safe for anybody to decide to use a bicycle for normal purposes…. and in the meantime may well buy one of these! If i do, I’ll post a review.
    Safe journeys, by whatever means.

• bamboogirl

February 9, 2014 at 11:52 AM

Denmark and Sweden are heaven to cycle in. (I’ve cycled in both countries.) Their separated roads and traffic laws are protective toward cyclists. Drinking and driving laws are so strict, my Danish & Swedish friends cycle to bars or parties or don’t drink at all if driving, there are no “class” differences between cyclists and car drivers (cycling is seen as an efficient and healthy means of transportation, most bikes are equipped with dynamo powered lights. Everyone rides so you are just aware and bells are bright and ding pleasantly.. no need for blaring horns.

8. thehomeschoolingdoctor

January 20, 2014 at 4:46 PM

Is the sound loud enough to shoot through those ear bud people wear?
    Cool that you backed the product! Very nice! Hope you’re doing great!

January 20, 2014 at 6:12 PM

I don’t think ANYTHING can get the attention of some of those folks! I m beginning to think that a a TASER would make a nice cycling accessory. Hope your morning sickness is about over!

9. sedge808

January 21, 2014 at 8:09 PM

rather cool.

tour down under on here at the moment.

January 21, 2014 at 9:38 PM

Fortunately, I am able to watch the Tour Down Under on TV — I sure love the scenery in Oz!

10. sedge808

January 21, 2014 at 8:10 PM

i will do a post for you, if i can get some good fotos.

January 21, 2014 at 9:38 PM

If you can grab some photos please do write the story! I’d love to publish it!

11. st sahm

February 3, 2014 at 12:18 PM

Neat. “Orp it. Orp it good!”

Can it attach to your wrist or handlebar? Maybe a helmet? (Wrist would be great if it also incorporates the taser like you mention above!)

12. DummyDiva

February 9, 2014 at 11:13 AM

Hope you are well. Maybe taking a blog break?
    DD

February 11, 2014 at 11:58 AM

Thanks for the note! Yes, I decided to take a month off from blogging since the only thing I’ve accomplished so far this year has been shoveling snow, breaking up ice, then shoveling the snow again!