45NRTH Bergraven Technical Fatbiking Gaiters

08 Jan
45NRTH Bergraven Technical Gaiter For Fat Bikes

45NRTH Bergraven Technical Gaiter For Fat Bikes

Warning: This article deals with adult subject matter and is not suitable for southerners or cyclists who spend their winters in the basement riding a trainer. Reader discretion is advised.

After several mild winters in a row, those of us in the Upper Midwest have finally been blessed with a ton of fresh snow and bone-chilling temperatures. Several weeks ago I was at the local bike shop and saw the new 45NRTH Bergraven Technical Fatbiking Gaiters. I hesitated getting them because the past few winters have been rather disappointing for Fat Bike owners, but I decided to take a chance and buy them anyway—and I am certainly glad I did!

45NRTH Bergraven Technical Gaiter For Fat Bikes

45NRTH Bergraven Technical Gaiter For Fat Bikes

Gaiters are put on over your boots and winter cycling tights and extend from your boots to just below your knees. If you are not familiar with the purpose of winter gaiters, let me explain. First, they keep you lower leg and calf muscle warm (the wind has a way of making calf muscles very stiff). Second, they keep the snow out of your boots when you have to get off the bike and push.

The Bergraven gaiters are specifically designed for Fat Bike riders. The soft outer shell is made with Primaloft ECO insulation and there is a Kevlar panel to protect the gaiters if they come in contact with either the crank arms or chain-rings. These gaiters close on the sides with a hook-and-loop closure and there are buckle adjusters at the top so you can make them as snug (or loose) as you like. There is also a strap that goes under your boots to keep the gaiters in place. In addition, there is a bit of reflective piping on the back of the gaiters.

If you are fortunate enough to own a pair of 45NRTH Wölvhammer winter cycling boots there is a toe hook on these gaiters that will snap into the boots for a better fit. Unfortunately, my feet are too wide to fit into a pair of Wölvhammer boots (even though they have a wide toe box). However, you do not have to wear these gaiters with Wölvhammer boots. When the temperature drops below 10 degrees (Fahrenheit) I wear the Columbia Bugaboot Plus Cold Weather Boot—this boot is designed for hunters, but it works for cyclists as well. By the way, the toe hook on the Bergraven gaiter will lock into this boot (but you will need to trim the hook with a Dremel rotary tool first).

Sometimes you just have to dismount and push your Fat Bike

Sometimes you just have to dismount and push your Fat Bike

We’ve had a lot of snow this winter and I’ve had to walk my bike through deep snow drifts on many occasions. Sometimes you can see a drift in front of you and just dismount and walk through it. However, a few times I’ve run into deep snow without any warning and these gaiters have kept the snow out of my boots every time!

45NRTH Bergraven Technical Fatbiking Gaiters are available in two sizes: Medium (38–43) and Large (44–50). These gaiters retail for $85 a pair—not cheap, but it’s hard to put a price on staying warm! You might live in an area of the country where you would never need a product like this, but I am certainly glad I bought them (especially this year).

Tags: , , , , ,

39 responses to “45NRTH Bergraven Technical Fatbiking Gaiters

1. Kanerva

January 8, 2014 at 11:48 PM

Wow! That’s some snow. We, on the other hand are still waiting – I’m still on my summer bike!

January 9, 2014 at 12:15 AM

I really enjoy riding in the snow, and we have had a LOT more than usual this year!

2. sueslaght

January 8, 2014 at 11:49 PM

I LOVE the warning for this post. Brilliant!

January 9, 2014 at 12:16 AM

I just didn’t want some fair-weather cyclist to have a heart attack when I talked at riding in cold weather and having to push a bike through the snow!

3. hughes1963

January 9, 2014 at 12:24 AM

I’m one of those southern people you mentioned in your blog. You don’t have to worry about me. I hate the cold. Good information though.

January 9, 2014 at 2:41 PM

Depending on where you live in the south you might need the snake-proof gaiters (and I’d rather face snow than snakes any day).

4. brendaintheboro

January 9, 2014 at 12:57 AM

Glad to see you are OK. When I saw the news I thought about you cycling in snow. Hope you keep well and safe.

January 9, 2014 at 2:41 PM

Thanks for your concern — I am fine — cycling in the snow keeps me smiling.

5. theotherwoman97

January 9, 2014 at 6:36 AM

Love your warning post!!

January 9, 2014 at 9:05 PM

As my father used to say: Occasionally even a blind squirrel finds a nut.

6. ActionCyclist

January 9, 2014 at 6:59 AM

Great Start to this post! I use some old snow shoe gaiters for now, but will keep these in mind when I need an upgrade. Gaiters have really saved my riding these past few days in subzero temps.

January 9, 2014 at 9:05 PM

I never dreamed I would be using these gaiters so much — really glad I bought them!

7. cyclerist

January 9, 2014 at 10:03 AM

I must say that i am using the gaiters (some cheap chinese ebayish ), but only for city cycling in case it is raining hard:). Helped me to keep most of the rain before i get to work.
    That was before i got some cheap rubber boots instead as a better solution.
    Nice remark on keeping the calves warm, didn’t think of that function of gaiters before.

8. Elaine @ foodbod

January 9, 2014 at 11:42 AM

Wow! I think I’m doing pretty well cycling into the 20-30 miles per hour winds we are being battered by at the moment but I’ve got nothing on you, you are hardcore!!! That snow is so deep!!! They must be truly amazing boots!

9. Shonnie

January 9, 2014 at 4:23 PM

Wow!! I would like those for when riding in Florida (which has been oddly cold) and the blasted sprinklers come on soaking your legs. Have fun in all the snow.

January 9, 2014 at 9:09 PM

We’ve not had to worry about sprinklers coming on for a while — they are all frozen shut!

10. cyardin

January 9, 2014 at 4:59 PM

I bet you are having fun in the white powdery stuff. I saw an article recently talking about how the UCI were considering bringing cyclocross to the Winter Olympic Games, to which a punter responded – scrap cyclocross, fat bike all the way!

January 9, 2014 at 9:10 PM

Amen brother! Bring the Fat Bikes to the Games and let the real fun begin!

11. Still a Runner

January 9, 2014 at 5:39 PM

I check in on friends and family in your region and the cold temps along with the snow have been pretty brutal. I saw a weather news clip somewhere north of Chicago and amongst the cars spinning in the street came a bundled up cyclist moving along. I assumed it was you.

January 9, 2014 at 9:11 PM

“Brutal” is putting it mildly! However, there are a few of us out every day in this weather — it makes us appreciate the warm days better (“warm” being anything above freezing).

12. Jason Pearlman

January 9, 2014 at 11:33 PM

I used to live upstate New York near Syracuse back in the early 90s, and I loved winter mountain biking there – nothing but deep powder that you could plow through, though there were times when you just had to dismount and wade through several feet of the stuff with your steel-framed MTB held over your head. Now, as a Washington, DC cyclocrosser, the best we get is the last race or two of the season, where there may be some snow, otherwise, it’s just get out the ‘cross rig and slog through an inch or two of slush and ice. Don’t let anybody tell you that the cycling conditions where you live way up north are anything less than glorious.

January 10, 2014 at 2:06 PM

The snow can be beautiful and a joy to ride in, but all the salt on our roads wreaks havoc on your bike!

13. an uncommon girl

January 10, 2014 at 5:35 AM

Really nice gaiters. Things like this are always expensive.

January 10, 2014 at 2:07 PM

Nearly all of my winter gear is more expansive than I think it ought to be — I think it is a case of “supply and demand” at the moment.

14. EmmaNutrition

January 10, 2014 at 7:31 AM

Thanks for the reminder that I was going to get my husband some gaiters. I don’t see why he can’t just wear his white leather ones from his military uniform but apparently they just don’t match his bike…

January 10, 2014 at 2:09 PM

White military gaiters — where they Arctic gaiters or dress gaiters? Remind him that you can dye leather (and make it match his bike).

• EmmaNutrition

January 27, 2014 at 4:13 PM

Dress ones; very pretty ;) Dye would be cheaper – cheers for that tip!

15. Steve

January 10, 2014 at 8:06 AM

The warning post is an instant classic!

January 10, 2014 at 2:11 PM

I happened to think of that line as I was riding this week in the bitter cold and deep snow — it’s not for everyone!

16. Lightning McKurt

January 11, 2014 at 9:37 AM

I’m still trying to figure out why these are fatbiking gaiters. They are winter gaiters. I’m guessing I walk through more snow with my MTB than I would have with a fatbike ;)

January 11, 2014 at 11:22 PM

I had the same question about the branding (45NRTH called the “Fatbiking Gaiters”). However, I imagine most Fat Bikers get into deeper snow than most mountain bikers simply because these bikes make us want to see how deep of snow we can ride in.

17. Sheslosingit.com

January 22, 2014 at 2:10 PM

How can you cycle in the snow!?!? I’m so happy I live in Texas so I never have to buy gaiters! :)

January 22, 2014 at 4:18 PM

You get a Fat Bike with REALLY wide tires (mine are 4″ wide) and try to ride on top of the snow. I also have a few bikes with steel studded tires so I can ride on solid ice (like across frozen lakes). It’s fun!

18. jrickards

February 27, 2014 at 6:50 PM

You put on your expensive gaitors below 10F (-12C), I put on my cheap, non-insulated gaiters today in -32C (-26F) weather and was perfectly warm. Normally, I don’t wear them, even in these temps but today, I was going across the lake to work so, for the sake of snow, and preventing my pants from getting caught in the chain (the kevlar idea is good), I wore my gaiters. My point is, you may not need to spend so much on gaiters.

February 28, 2014 at 9:15 AM

I am sure there are other gaiters that work as well. My main reason for wearing any gaiter is to keep the snow out of my boots – -the added warmth is just an added benefit.

19. AndrewGills

May 18, 2015 at 1:54 AM

I am heading to the Baltic States in January 2016 to fat bike tour. Finally I have a reason to use your winter reviews