350,000 Views In 2013

01 Jan

My sincerest thanks to every visitor to this blog! By reading the comments you leave here and by visiting your blogs it seems like I’ve gotten to know some of you fairly well. Most of the visitors to this site are interested in cycling in one form or another, while others just have a general interest in fitness. Regardless of why you read this blog I wish you a healthy and prosperous New Year.

The WordPress.com stats helper monkeys prepared a 2013 annual report for this blog. Here’s an excerpt:

The Louvre Museum has 8.5 million visitors per year. This blog was viewed about 350,000 times in 2013. If it were an exhibit at the Louvre Museum, it would take about 15 days for that many people to see it.

Click here to see the complete report.

If you scroll to the bottom of the report you will see one very sad note. The report has the names of the five “most active commenters” on this blog. The most frequent commenter was Irish Katie, a lovely woman who passed away from cancer back in October. The Chatter Blog had two wonderful articles about Katie. In the first article she simply noted how Irish Katie had not been commenting on any of the blogs recently, and in the second article it was revealed that Katie had passed on. I never had the privilege of meeting Katie, but her cheerful comments brightened up every blog she visited. She will truly be missed.

Posted by on January 1, 2014 in Life On Two Wheels

Tags: , , , , ,

37 responses to “350,000 Views In 2013

1. foodbod

January 1, 2014 at 1:11 AM

Congratulations!!! Happy 2014 🎉🎉

January 2, 2014 at 11:18 PM

Thank you so much! And may 2014 bring you health and happiness as well!

2. sueslaght

January 1, 2014 at 2:12 AM

Congrats on your wonderful blog and results! So sorry to hear of Katie’s passing. Although we may not meet the folks we interact with in the blogosphere one develops friendships. All the very best to you in 2014.

January 2, 2014 at 11:19 PM

I never met Katie, but it sure felt like I knew her—she was so warm and vibrant! Stay safe and healthy in 2014.

3. unsportywomencanrun

January 1, 2014 at 3:20 AM

I never read Irish Katie’s blog but I’ve heard of her twice now. She must have been a remarkable person. Thanks for a wonderful blog x ride for you and in memory of Katie x

January 2, 2014 at 11:21 PM

I think a lot of bloggers felt that they knew her, if only from her writings.

4. tsipprelle

January 1, 2014 at 6:56 AM

Congrats and a very Happy and Healthy New Year!

5. Chatter Master

January 1, 2014 at 8:03 AM

Irish Katie loved her biking :) It was funny when we ran in to each other ‘here’ after having already ‘met’ in other places. She will be missed.

Congratulations on your wonderful year. And here’s to a year of riding lots and riding well. And loving every ride we get.

January 2, 2014 at 11:21 PM

The first article you wrote about Katie was amazing—and so well worded. I was truly saddened by her loss. Stay safe!

6. Joboo

January 1, 2014 at 8:58 AM

Safe pedaling to you throughout 2014!!
    Peace

January 2, 2014 at 11:22 PM

You stay safe and warm as well—it looks like the Arctic Express is about the give us both some really cool rides!

7. the drunken cyclist

January 1, 2014 at 9:55 AM

Happy New Year!

8. Frank Burns

January 1, 2014 at 10:54 AM

May the wind be ever at your back in 2014!

January 2, 2014 at 11:24 PM

That is a wonderful sentiment. Unfortunately, I have the amazing ability to make the wind change directions—I often end up riding INTO the wind on the way OUT and the way BACK home.

• Frank Burns

January 3, 2014 at 5:07 PM

I know the feeling…… the wind is a non-sentient being!

9. lacartera

January 1, 2014 at 1:22 PM

Congratulations! Happy New Year!

10. JennyO

January 1, 2014 at 7:09 PM

Happy New Year!!! And many more interesting days to come :)

January 2, 2014 at 11:25 PM

I would be happy with a few less “interesting” days and a few more long, boring rides in the sun.

11. Nancy L. Seibel

January 2, 2014 at 7:29 AM

Happy New Year. Wishing you great biking and great everything in 2014.

12. imarunner2012

January 2, 2014 at 8:31 AM

Congrats on that amazing number of views! I’ve enjoyed reading your posts this past year. Happy New Year.

January 2, 2014 at 11:27 PM

Thanks for stopping by! I hope there will be more articles in the future that will bring you back here again!

13. Sandra

January 2, 2014 at 9:13 AM

Your post made me go to read about Katie. Her last blog post was beautiful–and beckoned me to read more. Indeed, she was a remarkable woman. Touched a lot of lives, and I am guessing made them so much richer.
    There is a service that is called (something like) My Last Post. I have often thought about what I would write. It sounds like she may not have known it was truly her last post, but wow. Just. Wow.
    Thank you for all you do for us out here, reviews and inspiration. I wish you a happy, safe, and prosperous (in whichever way you choose) year!

January 2, 2014 at 11:30 PM

From Katie’s last post I thought she was going back to Ireland for a visit, but sadly she took a far different journey. I would love to know more about “The Last Post” service—if you have a link to the service please feel free to share it here.

Stay healthy in 2014 (that’s the best form of prosperity I know).

• Sandra

January 3, 2014 at 6:40 AM

I will share it when I find it. :-)

And yes, healthy IS the best gift!

14. thehomeschoolingdoctor

January 3, 2014 at 7:32 AM

Good job on all the good information that brings people to your blog! And humor. Thank you for the little information on Irish Katie. I followed the link trail. I cried. One just never knows–what you leave behind, what is taking you forward, how all ends up.

January 3, 2014 at 9:37 PM

Katie’s last article brought a tear to my eye when I read again after she had passed away. I thought she was going back to Ireland, but she took a far different journey instead.

• sensuousamberville

January 8, 2014 at 12:05 AM

She did return home, finally, to Ireland, she is resting with her Mom and Da, with her sister.

January 8, 2014 at 5:11 PM

Thank you so much for letting me know! I hope that she was at peace when she departed this world.

15. Laura

January 4, 2014 at 7:07 PM

I “met” Irish Kate through your blog. She always had kind words and encouragement. I am terribly saddened to learn of her passing. I was just thinking about her the other day, wondering when we would be hearing from her again. :(

January 10, 2014 at 2:02 PM

I think everyone who ever read her comments was wondering about her — she did bring a lot of sunshine into the blogs she visited.

16. simonnurse

January 15, 2014 at 12:46 AM

Well done for a very active, informative and enjoyable 2013 of blogging. I’d also like to echo the sentiments of the other commenters about Kate. Best wishes to her friends and family.

17. Sandra

January 22, 2014 at 11:40 AM

I finally found it! It’s a Ted Talk, an AWESOME one at that.

and http://ifidie.net (message or video posted to FB after you die). I have my students write a paper based on this Ted Talk (a course about what it means to be human with Star Trek:The Next Generation as our “text”).

ENJOY!