45NRTH Cobrafist Pogies For Fat Bikes

17 Dec
The All Seasons Cyclist With His New 45NRTH Cobrafist Pogies

The All Seasons Cyclist With His New 45NRTH Cobrafist Pogies

A few weeks ago I wrote an article about How To Keep Your Hands Warm While Cycling In The Winter. In that article I reviewed the three major products that winter cyclists use to protect their hands: Moose Mitts, Bike Poagies and Bar Mitts. Unfortunately, that article was published before 45NRTH introduced their new Cobrafist Technical Fatbike Pogie. I am an experienced winter cyclist and own at least two pairs each of Moose Mitts, Bike Poagies and Bar Mitts—and I have to say that 45NRTH’s new Cobrafist pogies smash the competition—these are warmest, best designed and most well thought-out pogies on the market today!

45NRTH Cobrafist Pogies For Fat Bikes

45NRTH Cobrafist Pogies For Fat Bikes

45NRTH Cobrafist pogies are constructed with a wind resistant, puncture resistant 600 denier outer shell and warm layer of 400g Primaloft insulation. These pogies will easily add 25 degrees of warmth to your hands, i.e., if your gloves are normally good down to 30 degrees Fahrenheit, with Cobrafist pogies you can wear those same gloves down to at about 5 degrees—and if you drop a small chemical hand warmer into each pogie you gain another 10 degrees of warmth.

Zippered Air Vents To Regulate The Temperature

Zippered Air Vents To Regulate The Temperature

Chemical hand warmers are intended to be used in an oxygen restricted environment—not in an airtight container. Since all the other pogies cut off outside air from reaching into the pogies they also suffocate chemical hand warmers (make them stop working) within an hour or so. Fortunately, the Cobrafist pogies have zippered vents on the top and bottom so you can regulate the amount of air you let in—or you can choose to seal the poagie up almost air tight if you want. These zippers also allow moisture to escape from inside the pogies which will help keep your hands dry—and these zippers have pulls on both the inside and outside of the pogies so you can adjust the ventilation without taking your hands out of the poagie (I dearly love this feature)! In addition, the Cobrafist has two small inner pockets that allow you to store extra food or chemical hand warmers without them sliding around inside the pogie.

A Bar-End Plug Secures A Grommet To Keep Your Pogie In Place

A Bar-End Plug Secures A Grommet To Keep Your Pogie In Place

While the Cobrafist pogies are technically advanced, they are still easy to install—they slide over your handlebar and a bar-end plug secures a grommet tight against the handlebar (the only tool required is a 3mm Allen wrench). The only downside to this system is that you can’t use a tall bar-end grip like the Ergon GC3 Handlebar Grips I normally use on my Pugsley. However, the shorter Ergon GC3 Race Grip will work. The other end of the pogie (the end closest to the headset) has an oval-shaped foam donut that seals the handlebar and cable closure and keeps unwanted cold air out. The Cobrafist also has a drawstring around the opening for your hands—keep it loose if you start to overheat, or cinch it up if the weather turns nasty.

45NRTH Cobrafist Fat Bike Pogies

45NRTH Cobrafist Fat Bike Pogies

Every time I write about pogies I get letters from readers asking about how difficult it is to get your hands in and out of the pogie while riding. Well, I wondered about this same thing before I first used them. Let me put your mind at ease by telling you that these pogies are incredibly easy to use—you can get your hands in and out in total darkness without even having to think about it.

45NRTH Cobrafist Fat Bike Pogies

Cobrafist Pogies Could Use Some Reflective Piping For Riding At Night

While I believe the 45NRTH Cobrafist pogies are the best pogies on the market, I do have two suggestions that I think would make them even better. First, I would like to see some reflective piping on the front and side of these pogies. Sunshine is a rare commodity during the winter, and I often find myself riding after dark and reflective piping would make it a lot easier for cars and snowmobiles to see me. Second, I would like the pogies to extend about 2″ more past the brake levers than they do now—while the pogies are roomy, it is too easy to stick your fingers in the pockets when they ought to be on the brake levers.

45NRTH Cobrafist Fat Bike pogies retail for $125 a pair and they only come in one color: black. They are not cheap, but as far as bike pogies go they are actually reasonably priced. While it might be fun to brag to your friends about the time you got frostbite while riding your Fat Bike, having your fingers amputated because of it might not be as fun as it sounds!

Tags: , , , , , ,

33 responses to “45NRTH Cobrafist Pogies For Fat Bikes

1. sueslaght

December 17, 2013 at 9:53 PM

Here’s to keeping your fingers!

2. All Seasons Cyclist

December 17, 2013 at 10:17 PM

How would we eat without them?

3. Marty Mathis

December 18, 2013 at 12:01 AM

I agree 100% with you. I’ve had my Cobra’s for 3 weeks, and I’m very pleased with them. I’ve had several below zero rides already, and my fingers have kept warm. You’re right about the interior pockets. It’s a bit annoying having my fingers land in those pockets. Reflective tape would be nice.

December 20, 2013 at 5:52 PM

Glad I wasn’t the only one who had a problem with the pockets! I think this would be an easy thing to fix.

4. ATdF

December 18, 2013 at 3:05 AM

but…but…don’t tell me you went out in these conditions! this is not cycling this is a battle against hybernation…come to italy my friend (-;

December 20, 2013 at 5:55 PM

I’ve been to Italy and dearly love Italian cuisine. Actually, there would be no reason for me to take my bike to Italy — I would probably stop at the first restaurant outside of the airport and never leave!

5. an uncommon girl

December 18, 2013 at 7:14 AM

What a great product.
    Merry Christmas & keep those fingers warm!

6. Cyclostf

December 18, 2013 at 8:03 AM

Now, if someone could come up with “pedal pogies”…

• Erik

December 20, 2013 at 2:54 PM

They do, they’re called Wolvhammer’s, the best boots bar none.

December 20, 2013 at 5:56 PM

Eric is right about the Wolvhammer’s — they are the warmest cycling boots you’ll find anywhere.

• Cyclostf

January 8, 2014 at 10:06 AM

hmmm, I get cold feet even when I ride with my Sorel’s…

January 8, 2014 at 5:13 PM

Eventually your feet are going to get cold in almost any shoe, but the fun you’ll have in the meantime is certainly worth it!

7. radicalrye

December 18, 2013 at 8:44 AM

Reblogged this on Spoke Haven.

8. Jeff Katzer

December 18, 2013 at 9:33 AM

Hey, merry Christmas my friend. I’m dreaming of a white Christmas here in the Pacific Northwest… But I may have to wander up into the mountains to reach the snow line. Oh, I like the pogies BTW.

December 20, 2013 at 5:57 PM

Merry Christmas to you as well! I hope you find the snow — it’s all over the place here (along with a nice layer of ice underneath).

9. Drew Diller

December 18, 2013 at 10:31 AM

The bar end plug design does look smart. Might have to ignore my dim opinion of this brand on this one in particular. Good summary.

December 20, 2013 at 5:58 PM

Aside from the Dillinger Steel Studded Snow Tires, these pogies are my favorite product from 45NRTH.

10. Aaron

December 18, 2013 at 10:34 AM

You should try these out: http://www.cabelas.com/product/Classic-Accessories-QuadGear-ATV-Mitts/716428.uts and see how they compare. This is my third season of using these in North Dakota. I wear liner gloves simply to wick any sweat off my hands. hands have never been cold. There is even a small interior pocket. It might lake some of the refinement of the cycling specific options, but for $25??? Can’t go wrong.

December 20, 2013 at 5:59 PM

Someone mentioned these ATV mitts to me before — I think I am going to have to try them myself — thanks for reminding me!

11. Joe Maki

December 18, 2013 at 6:41 PM

I got my Cobrafists in late November. So far this month we’ve had 2 days where the wind chill got above zero. The vents seem very ineffective for ventilation, but so far we’ve only had 1 day where it was warm enough to unzip them. I felt very little air flow. I probably need to ride faster :) As for the interior pockets I solved the problem of them catching on your hands by cutting the upper pocket out. The frustration index dropped significantly. I would think they would be even more irritating if you actually carried anything in them. Nitpicking aside, they are warm, roomy, built to last and worth the money (if you can afford them).

December 20, 2013 at 6:00 PM

Give the vents another chance –I think you are right about the need for speed to get some air flow. Since I live north of Chicago I don’t have to worry about it — it seems like the wind is always gusting at over 25 MPH all winter long!

12. thehomeschoolingdoctor

December 19, 2013 at 7:31 AM

You are amazing!

13. Doug

December 20, 2013 at 12:56 PM

Like Aaron, I use the ATV mitts from Cabelas. I’ve been using them since 2007 on my Pugsley. First got them for my initial try at the Arrowhead 135. It was -28 at the start. Kept my hands toasty warm. Back then the price for the ATV mitts was $19.99. I am impressed with the design features of the Cobrafists and the “low” cost as compared to other bike specific pogies. But the $19.99 pogies work just as well.

December 20, 2013 at 6:02 PM

If the ATV Mitts worked at the Arrowhead 135 then that’s all I need to know! I’ll order a set ASAP!

14. tmtnguide

December 21, 2013 at 12:01 PM

This is what we like to see!

December 27, 2013 at 8:17 PM

Me too! I train all summer on the pavement so I can be in shape for having fun on the snow!

15. androcore

December 22, 2013 at 7:42 AM

Im jealous! Not only because you have that bad ass ride to go hardcore thru the snow but because you actually have nice beautiful snow!!
    Keep on blazin!

December 27, 2013 at 8:17 PM

Unlike the past two years, this year we’ve had an abundance of fresh snow — and I love it!

16. icecyclist

February 4, 2014 at 2:09 PM

Nice review. Can you easily and frequently wash them? I cycle 4x/week pre-dawn for exercise which means my gear is washed 4x/week or it smells. Have you tried to wash them? Icecyclist

February 4, 2014 at 4:22 PM

Sorry, but I’ve not tried to wash them yet — so far the mud has just brushed off (and it does it pretty easily).