The New Rules Of Lifting: Six Basic Moves For Maximum Muscle

18 Nov
The New Rules of Lifting: Six Basic Moves for Maximum Muscle

The New Rules of Lifting: Six Basic Moves for Maximum Muscle

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again: I am a cyclist, not a bodybuilder—I lift weights because I have to, not because I want to. This past Saturday the temperature outside was in the low 40’s (5 Celsius), the wind was gusting at 30 MPH and it was pouring down rain—and I decided that a few hours outside on the bike sounded a lot more appealing than lifting weights inside. However, I do recognize that weight lifting is an important part of overall fitness. If you not a weightlifter but would like a great book to help you develop a weightlifting routine I would strongly suggest that you pick up a copy of The New Rules Of Lifting: Six Basic Moves For Maximum Muscle by Lou Schuler and Alwyn Cosgrove.

The problem most cyclists have with weightlifting is simply time—they think that time on the bike is more beneficial than time spent in a weight room. However, while cycling will improve your aerobic fitness and endurance it will very do little for upper body fitness. Even if you have no intention of ever participating in a race you still need to engage in some sort of resistance training to improve your sprinting and climbing, as well as increasing your bone density (cyclists have a tendency to develop low bone density). Strong lower back and abdominal muscles are crucial if you want to ride very long in the drops. Without a strong core you are going to have trouble every time you ride!

Schuler and Cosgrove have been able to create a great workout plan that will stress all the body’s major muscle groups—and they have condensed it down into just six basic movements (the squat, deadlift, lunge, push, pull, and twist). For each of these movements they offer numerous variations to achieve the goal. For example, with the traditional squat they offer variations such as the heels-raised back squat, one-and-a-quarter squat, front squat, and quarter squat.

The basic premise of the book is that by doing these six basic movements you will work all of your major muscle groups. While this approach will not satisfy professional body builders, it will do wonders for the rest of us! Let’s face it, do you really need a special exercise to improve the abductor pollicis brevis muscle? (In case you are wondering, it is the muscle that runs from your thumb to the center of your wrist).

The authors show how to perform these exercises is several ways—with barbells, dumbbells, weight stations, etc. Until two of my sons move out of our house I am not going to be able to have an entire room set aside for weight lifting, so I do my weight training with a set of Bowflex SelectTech 552 Adjustable Dumbbells. Each Bowflex SelectTech 552 dumbbell adjusts from 5 to 52.5 pounds (in 2.5-pound increments up to the first 25 pounds). Because of the beautifully designed dial system you can change the weight of a dumbbell in a matter of seconds. Each dumbbell has fifteen different weight settings available (5, 7.5, 10, 12.5, 15, 17.5, 20, 22.5, 25, 30, 35, 40, 45, 50, and 52.5 pounds).

The New Rules Of Lifting: Six Basic Moves For Maximum Muscle is a paperback book (7.5×9″ with more than one hundred photographs) and has 301 pages. This book retails for $18, but is available on Amazon.com for $14. The Kindle edition sells for $12. This book is published by Avery (a member of the Penguin Group).

Posted by on November 18, 2013 in Book Reviews

Tags: , , , , , ,

22 responses to “The New Rules Of Lifting: Six Basic Moves For Maximum Muscle

1. simply2bfit

November 18, 2013 at 9:40 PM

I’m going to check out their other book mentioned on the cover! Thanks for sharing!

November 18, 2013 at 9:54 PM

Do you mean “The New Rules of Lifting for Women” or the “The New Rules of Lifting for Abs”? I’ve read your blog before — you have made tremendous progress!

• simply2bfit

November 18, 2013 at 10:01 PM

Thanks! I meant the book about lifting for women! I’m always wanting to learn and improve…thanks for the words of encouragement! When you live it…sometimes it’s hard to see changes!

2. Jason Pearlman

November 18, 2013 at 9:59 PM

Definitely something that all cyclists should look into; anybody watching the top pro and amateur riders today can see that they’re definitely more bulked-and-cut than in previous years (and that’s not the doping!). With everybody able to run out and buy power meters and carbon superbikes, the next area of advantage is not going to come from the bike shops, but from the gyms.

November 18, 2013 at 10:01 PM

I totally agree! Spending a few hours a week working on your core and quads will help you a lot more on the hills than a new carbon fiber bike!

3. sueslaght

November 18, 2013 at 10:48 PM

Great post and good reminder! Thank you.

4. Lilitte

November 19, 2013 at 12:44 AM

Thank you. I love lifting! I will definitely check that book out.

5. thehomeschoolingdoctor

November 19, 2013 at 5:42 AM

Good motivation, even if I don’t get out to read the book! My little weight routine does okay compared to your description (which carrying kids on my back and shoulders counts), except for “the twist.” I don’t think I cover that one very well. So sorry the kids are running out the weight room. Sounds like a good trade off. Keeps ‘em out of trouble? PS: I browsed that homocysteine book over breakfast yesterday, and I’m really looking forward to sitting down with the whole thing! I saw a part on processed foods that just made me so excited! Take good care!

November 19, 2013 at 9:48 AM

You can do the “twist” with resistance bands (just attach them to the door frame). As for the book on homocysteine — the section on how processed foods created the problem to begin with was very enlightening! I wish I would have had my homocysteine level checked BEFORE I gave up grains — the levels are fantastic now that I live without them!

6. st sahm

November 19, 2013 at 8:49 AM

I’m still stuck on the 5 Celsius paragraph…and how you chose to go out and cycle in that. Inspiring.

November 19, 2013 at 9:50 AM

If you are stuck at the 5 Celsius paragraph, does that mean I shouldn’t invite you to go riding with me when it is -20 Celsius either?

• st sahm

November 19, 2013 at 11:31 AM

Yeah count me in on THAT for sure ;)

7. Otto

November 19, 2013 at 5:08 PM

As and added tool I use a sand bag. One specially made for lifting. I tried the cheap route and my wife did not like the results. The comments about bone density affect runners and everyone else afraid of weight bearing exercises. You will not get bulky unless you train specifically with that goal in mind. I have that book and the one for women and Eric Cressey’s Maximum Strength which is another good overall strength program not geared towards body building.

November 19, 2013 at 6:09 PM

I’ve not send sandbags designed for lifting before — now I guess I’ll have to find one!

• Shonnie

November 19, 2013 at 7:27 PM

yeah … they are a fun home workout tool. Check out BodyRockTV

8. Shonnie

November 19, 2013 at 7:27 PM

I love lifting. I also love how heavy squats makes cycling so much easier. :D great post.

9. Nancy Loderick

November 20, 2013 at 2:00 PM

Thanks for the info on this book! I’ve heard good things about it from a fitness forum, but I have yet to check it out. Your post is just the push I needed!

Nancy

10. The Pretend Triathlete

December 8, 2013 at 4:10 PM

I haven’t seen that book but I think I agree with the premise. I try to get the most out of a short work out by lifting heavy and using lifts that work a lot of muscles at once: squats, dead-lifts, bench press, military press, and pull ups. I work different groups on different days and each work out only takes 15-20 minutes or so, depending on how focused I am that day.

December 9, 2013 at 7:22 PM

Sounds like you’ve already got the right program! I am a cyclist first and a weight lifter when I have to be.