First Endurance Ultragen Recovery Supplement

14 Oct

If you are an endurance athlete you are probably already aware of the thirty-minute glycogen window that occurs immediately after strenuous exercise. This window of opportunity is when your insulin sensitivity is highest and your well-worked muscles will soak up nutrients like a sponge. If you consume a quality recovery drink within 30 minutes after a strenuous exercise your muscles will recover faster, you will build more muscle and shave off more fat during training. For several years I used chocolate milk as my recovery drink. However, after some medical problems earlier this year I decided to give up most dairy products which meant I had to find a new recovery drink. A few weeks ago I ordered six different name-brand recovery drinks and will be reviewing each of them over the next few months. The first recovery drink I tried was Ultragen Recovery Supplement by First Endurance.

First Endurance Ultragen Recovery Supplement

First Endurance Ultragen Recovery Supplement

First Endurance Ultragen Recovery Supplement has 320 calories per 12-ounce serving. Each serving provides 20 grams of protein and 60 grams of carbohydrates. In addition to essential vitamins, minerals and electrolytes, Ultragen also contains Branch Chain Amino Acid (BCAAs), the building blocks of the human body, and L-Glutamine for muscle tissue repair. See the Supplement Facts on the label below for complete details.

First Endurance Ultragen Recovery Supplement

Nutritional Information For First Endurance Ultragen Recovery Supplement

As you can see from the label, Ultragen uses whey protein isolate instead of soy protein isolate. For the life of me can’t figure out why any man would want to consume soy protein isolate since the isoflavones found in it promote estrogenic activity.

I was highly impressed by how well the Ultragen powder dissolved in water! Some recovery drinks just clump together at the bottom of the glass, but this powder completely dissolved into the water in just a few moments. in addition, this product has a mild taste and is easy to drink (I bought the Tropical Punch flavor). Better yet, it does not have an aftertaste like most other recovery drinks.

Ultragen Recovery Supplement retails for $45 for a 3-pound container (15 servings). I bought mine from for $37, so this works out to just under $2.50 per serving. OK, so this is not the cheapest recovery drink on the market—but it tastes great and works well!

Important note for serious athletes: According to the First Endurance website, all of their “supplements are legal to use in any sporting event governed by the World Anti-Doping Association (WADA), the US anti-doping association (USADA) and by the UCI (Union Cycliste International). One or more of the aforementioned governing bodies govern all US Cycling, International Cycling, US Triathlon and International Triathlon.”

Tags: , , , , , ,

13 responses to “First Endurance Ultragen Recovery Supplement

1. Staff

October 14, 2013 at 11:18 PM

Reblogged this on SoshiTech.

2. Fitnesstroop

October 15, 2013 at 8:25 AM

Reblogged this on Fitnesstroop.

3. fatguy2triguy

October 15, 2013 at 5:52 PM

Looking forward to the reviews of the other products. I really need to get something like this into my routine as it is an area I have not stayed true to.

4. Melissa

October 16, 2013 at 10:18 AM

In light of the info in this recent Sweat Science column,, I would be leery of *any* supplement if I were an elite athlete subject to testing. As it is, I do occasionally use protein powder to make smoothies, but otherwise I am lucky that I don’t have any dietary restrictions that preclude using whole foods.

October 16, 2013 at 10:34 AM

I am not in competition so I don’t have to worry about testing — I just wanted to pass along the statement from the company (for whatever it was worth).

5. exmaschine

October 19, 2013 at 9:58 AM

Great review! I was wondering if this stuff was worth the dough…thanks for the feedback!

On a side note, I have been using a plain creatine mono-hydrate this year, with my recovery drink. Just a teaspoon added. Sometimes I even put a teaspoon in my electrolyte drink on days I would go long and climb high. I did notice better endurance and better recovery than last year.

October 19, 2013 at 10:29 PM

After I finished this container of Ultragen I started trying a few other brands of recovery mixes — this is the best one I’ve tried so far. Also, thanks for the note about the creatine mono-hydrate — I’ll have to try that myself!

6. pedalpusher416

October 25, 2013 at 1:54 PM

Reblogged this on pedalpusher.

7. Elizabeth Potter, c.p.c.

December 6, 2013 at 2:22 PM

By any chance, have you come across other recovery mixes that don’t contain whey or soy? I haven’t, and I have looked high and low, but I cannot bring myself to ingest either soy, as it is the most genetically altered food source or whey as milk protein grows cancerous cells faster than rabbits multiple. lol Just wondering if you know of any other kind.

• Melissa

December 6, 2013 at 3:03 PM

Elizabeth, I know I’ve seen protein powders made with hemp at a couple stores near me.

• Elizabeth Potter, c.p.c.

December 8, 2013 at 8:59 AM

Thanks, I will have to look further. :)

December 7, 2013 at 10:42 PM

Melissa — thanks for answering Elizabeth — I couldn’t think of what source of protein you could use except for whey or soy (I dislike soy products).