Serfas RX Short Finger Cycling Gloves

18 Jul

I always suggest that cyclists buy their gloves one size larger than what feels comfortable when they are trying them on at the bike shop. In the winter you need a larger glove because the extra air space in a full-finger glove provides a micro-climate of warm air that will keep your hands warm (tight gloves in winter will also reduce the circulation in your hands and make them very cold). On hot and humid days you need larger gloves because after a few hours on the bike your hands will swell and the fabric in the gloves will be soaked with sweat and the gloves will be very difficult to get off your hands. Fortunately, Serfas has the RX Short Finger Gloves that are not only easy to remove (even when totally saturated with sweat), but also provide a very comfortable grip! While I’ve bought at least six pairs of these gloves in the past five or six years, the folks at Serfas were kind enough to send me a new pair for review (I needed a new pair for the photographs—no one wants to see my well-worn gloves).

Serfas RX Short Finger Cycling Gloves

Serfas RX Short Finger Cycling Gloves

Serfas RX Short Finger Gloves were designed by physicians to reduce the pressure on the nerves and arteries in the hands and they succeeded in their goal! As far as I am concerned the gel padding in these gloves is perfect. I know a few cyclists who prefer gloves with little or no padding, but I ride over a lot of rough roads and without gel padding my hands will start to cramp after a few hours on the bike.

Serfas RX Short Finger Cycling Gloves

“Easy Off Loops” on the Serfas RX Gloves

One of the coolest things about these gloves is the “Easy Off Loop” that allows you to slide the gloves off easily, even when they are soaking wet from a long ride in the rain. The Serfas RX Short Finger Gloves are machine washable and I have been able to get nearly 2,000 miles of use with every pair. These gloves also have two pieces of reflective piping on the fingers—if you are riding at night and use hand signals for your turns the headlights of cars behind you will reflect off of this piping and make it easier for motorists to see you.

Serfas RX Short Finger Cycling Gloves

Note The Reflective Piping On The Fingers

I’ve gone riding with these gloves when the temperature was over 100 degrees (with a heat index of over 115 degrees Fahrenheit) and these gloves never made me feel like they were heating up my hands. In fact, my hands are cooler with these gloves than just about any other glove I’ve tried. I use these gloves with both road and mountain bikes, and in sunny weather or rain.

Serfas Men’s RX Short Finger Gloves are available in five sizes (S, M, L, XL, XXL) and come in four colors (Black, White, Blue or Red). Serfas Women’s RX Short Finger Gloves are available in four sizes (S, M, L, XS) and come in either Black or White. These gloves retail for $29 and I buy mine from the local bike shop, but they are also available from the Serfas website and from Amazon.com.

One last thought: If you live in an area with high humidity you really need at least two pairs of cycling gloves so you can wear one pair while the other is drying out.

Tags: , , , , , , ,

25 responses to “Serfas RX Short Finger Cycling Gloves

1. billgncs

July 18, 2013 at 10:31 AM

I haven’t seen xxl before at my bike shop. I usually end up with xl which are always tight.

I usually wash mine once in a while as they get pretty ripe smelling.

July 18, 2013 at 10:33 AM

We’ve had 70% to 95% humidity for several weeks in a row — it doesn’t take long for gloves (or riders) to get ripe!

• billgncs

July 18, 2013 at 10:42 AM

I have to look up the name of the wash you reviewed to cut the stink — my high tech fibers are high stink fibers

2. Mountainstroh (Tony)

July 18, 2013 at 11:04 AM

We don’t have humidity, but it can rain anytime… I have multiple pairs of gloves in case one gets wet, I forget to pack a pair, I lose one….

July 18, 2013 at 11:22 AM

Funny, I always assumed that Seattle had high humidity because of the rain. For the past three or four weeks the humidity at 6:00 AM has been over 90% almost every day — really hard to breathe in that humidity!

• Mountainstroh (Tony)

July 18, 2013 at 11:30 AM

Nope, that’s one of the MANY nice things. We have our “humid” days but it’s NEVR more than one and no where near as bad as the rest of the world,

3. Tawfik

July 18, 2013 at 7:29 PM

ooooo I bought these while I was on a work trip to Overland Park in Kansas earlier this summer and went ahead to rent a road bike over the weekend!

4. cyardin

July 19, 2013 at 12:27 AM

Great post, and I never really considered the sizing issue particularly between seasons. You also answered one other point I never knew – what those loops between the fingers are. No wonder my gloves are always scrunching up when I take them off.

July 19, 2013 at 4:31 PM

It is funny how many people buy those gloves and don’t know what the loops are for! Glad I could help!

5. Casie

July 19, 2013 at 8:39 AM

I bought gloves as a gift from a friend and loved them for biking. I wanted to tell you I biked 10miles the other day and boy was it tough! I don’t I did too bad for someone who hasn’t done it in yearrsss. Lol.

July 19, 2013 at 4:33 PM

Congratulations on your 10-mile ride! There was a time when that would have been a MAJOR accomplishment for me — but now I can ride 100 miles without giving it a second thought (and I am old enough to be your father). Keep up the good work — you will be racing before long!

• Casie

July 19, 2013 at 5:30 PM

That 10mile was big for me! And it was fun and refreshing to be out there riding. It was a thrill being able to go faster on curves. It was a good time for me! :) And thanks! It is amazing at how many miles you can put up. I doubt I’ll ever be able to make it to 100 though!

July 19, 2013 at 5:51 PM

Casie, I am convinced that anyone who can ride 10 miles can make it 100 miles — it might take you a year to work up to it, but you can do it!

• Casie

July 19, 2013 at 7:52 PM

Thanks! I will keep you posted on my progress.

6. Jean

July 19, 2013 at 3:59 PM

Well, you’re gloves features on your hands, look abit snug. :)

July 19, 2013 at 4:23 PM

The gloves were not really snug — they were just brand new! And with my wrist bent a bit it does make it look tight, but they were not!

7. Irish Katie

July 19, 2013 at 11:22 PM

The gloves I have (the fingerless ones) have minimal padding. (Trek gloves) … they breath and stretch really well … but like you mention, some..like the ones I have are a total bear to take off. I love the loops on the fingers…I have never seen that.

(Unfortunately as you know, my riding days have been put on hold. I was supposed to ride in the Tour deCure tomorrow … alas…. there is always next year right :) )

July 20, 2013 at 8:47 PM

Katie, you will be back on the bike in no time! And when you get ready to ride again I’d like to send you a new pair of Serfas Rx Gloves for women! Get well soon!

8. Lisa

July 21, 2013 at 10:22 PM

Just put multiple pairs of gloves in the wash. Heat & humidity= stinky gloves.

July 21, 2013 at 11:49 PM

And with the heat and humidity we’ve had in the past month I don’t know if I’ll ever get the stink out of some of my gloves!

9. Silver Price

July 26, 2013 at 2:32 AM

I really want to love these gloves. Theyfitwell and were ver comfortable. Loved the little straps on the fingers to aid in pulling them off. however after only three or for 15-20 mile rides the gloves started coming loose at the seams, the little straps started pulling loose and only a few rides later the straps came off..They did save my hands in a bad fall recently, so am grateful I had them…but am now looking to replace them. Hopefully with something a liitle more sturdy.

10. Herbert Howard

July 26, 2013 at 1:55 PM

Another nice feature, the loops for taking the gloves off. The pearl izumi gloves I have, have a small tab on one of the middle fingers that assists with getting the gloves off, but they don’t help a whole lot. The loops on the serfas gloves made taking these things off after a very sweaty ride a cinch. It also means that if you have a flat and need to get the gloves off to help manipulate a tire lever, or because you don’t want to dirty up you’re new gloves (first day out with them I flatted 2 miles into the ride) it can be done quickly so you can get things fixed and get back on your way. I rarely noticed the loops while gripping the bar and it wasn’t bothersome at all.