Honey Stinger Energy Chews and Protein Bars

08 Jul

At the moment I have over 40 boxes of carbohydrate gels, chews, blocks and bars in the kitchen cabinet (out of the goodness of her heart my wife gave me one cabinet to call my own). You can save a lot of money by buying in bulk and I usually order six or more boxes at a time—and since I use 30 to 40 packs a week they don’t have time to expire. While I use several different brands of carbohydrate gels, the majority of the boxes in my cabinet are from Honey Stinger—I take some of their products with me on every single ride I take! A few weeks ago the folks at Honey Stinger were kind enough to send me a few samples of two of their new flavors and I thought this would be a perfect time to tell you about some of their products.

Honey Stinger Energy Chews and Protein Bars

Honey Stinger Energy Chews and Protein Bars

One of the new flavors they’ve introduced is the Cherry Cola Honey Stinger Energy Chews. At first, I was a bit hesitant to try this flavor because the Cherry Cola flavor is hard to achieve—several companies have tried cola flavors but most of them have been rather disappointing. However, Honey Stinger hit the mark with this one. Even if you were blindfolded, just one bite and you would know what the flavor was supposed to be. The individual  “chews” are fairly small (about the size of a stack of three nickles) and are 95% to 100% organic. There are ten pieces per package and one package has 160 calorie and has 39 grams of carbohydrates, 100% of the RDA of vitamin C, and a small dose of electrolytes. These chews are gluten-free, dairy free and contain no trans-fats or partially hydrogenated oils. Honey Stinger sells these energy chews in several other flavors, including Cherry Blossom (my favorite), Orange Blossom, Fruit Smoothie, and Pomegranate Passion Fruit, and Lime-Ade. The Cherry Cola and the Lime-Ade flavors have 30mg of caffeine per serving.

While I keep several brands of carbohydrate products on my shelves, you will only find one brand of protein bars there for after a ride—Honey Stinger Protein Bars! Cyclists often eat protein bars immediately after a ride to aid in muscle recovery. The problem is that most protein bars are simply dreadful! However, the Honey Stinger Protein Bars are so delicious you will find yourself craving them—and they contain 10g of whey protein per bar. When I am running late in the morning I eat these bars for breakfast, and they are my favorite snack at the movies. One warning: the chocolate layer on the outside of these bars has a low melting point, so don’t leave them in a hot car or the chocolate will melt (it will still taste good though).

The Honey Stinger Protein Bars are available in five flavors: Dark Chocolate Cherry Almond, Dark Chocolate Coconut Almond, Dark Chocolate Mint, Chocolate Coated Peanut Butta, and their newest flavor, a caffeinated Dark Chocolate Mocha Cherry. I am not a coffee drinker so the Dark Chocolate Mocha Cherry didn’t really appeal to me—I tried it and it has a mild coffee flavor that would not be my first choice. I gave a bar to two coffee drinkers and they both loved it. So, if you are not a coffee drinker, try the Dark Chocolate Cherry Almond bar—it is simply awesome (and the only flavor I buy anymore).

The ingredients for each of these protein bars varies slightly, so I will just give the ingredients list for the Dark Chocolate Cherry Almond: Semisweet Dark Chocolate [Evaporated Cane Juice, Chocolate Liquor, Cocoa Butter, Milk Fat, Soya Lecithin, and Vanilla]; Organic Honey; Whey Protein Isolate; Almond Butter; Dried Sour Cherries (Cherries, Apple Juice, Sunflower Oil); Almonds; Vitamins & Minerals [Dicalcium Phosphate, Magnesium Oxide, Ascorbic Acid (Vit C), Alpha-tocopherol Acetate (Vit E), Biotin, Zinc Oxide, Niacin, Ferrous Fumarate (Iron), Molybdenum Glycinate, Calcium Pantothenate, Copper, Manganese, Beta Carotene (Vit A), Selenium, Pyridoxine (B6), Riboflavin (B2), Thiamin (B1), Chromium, Cyanocobolamin (B12), Folic Acid, Potassium Iodide]; and Natural Flavor.

Honey Stinger also makes two of my other favorite cycling products, the Honey Stinger Organic Energy Gels (I love the Acai & Pomegranate flavor) and the Honey Stinger Organic Waffles (chocolate is my favorite here). I am not a tofu-eating vegetarian. However, when given a choice, I will choose organic food every time. This is especially true when it comes to the food I eat while cycling. I’ve found that natural ingredients are easily digested and quickly absorbed into the body. Energy gels that contain a lot of chemicals make me feel uncomfortable while cycling.

Honey Stinger products are available in many sporting good stores, such as R.E.I., Dick’s Sporting Goods and The Sports Authority and from the Honey Stinger website. I’ve also purchased them at several grocery stores, but they often do not carry all the flavors. Bon appetit.

Tags: , , , , , , ,

25 responses to “Honey Stinger Energy Chews and Protein Bars

1. elisariva

July 8, 2013 at 5:58 AM

Honey Stinger is my favorite brand too!

2. Lisa

July 8, 2013 at 7:22 AM

I’m a huge fan of the waffles, original or vanilla for me. The Pomegranate Passion chews regularly inhabit the box on my fuel belt for long runs. Love em.

July 8, 2013 at 10:21 AM

I would never eat one of the Honey Stinger Waffles without exercising — my wife has had the nerve to tell me that she thinks sometimes I go on a bike ride so just eat the waffles! (She might be right)

3. triathlonobsession

July 8, 2013 at 8:11 AM

I love the energy chews but have to be careful because they are like gummy candy! Cherry Cola sounds tasty—since I also favor Cherry Blossom. Love that the chews are gluten free as are some of if not all of the bars—an relatively healthy option for a gluten free snack.

July 8, 2013 at 10:22 AM

If someone put a bowl of Cherry Blossom Chews in front of me I think I could eat the entire bowl without a second thought — they are rather addictive!

4. cathyo

July 8, 2013 at 9:49 AM

Honey Stingers were my go to when I was running. Loved them. Haven’t tried the protein bars yet.

July 8, 2013 at 5:07 PM

You need to try the protein bars after a run — they are simply delicious!

5. spokengear

July 8, 2013 at 10:26 AM

Honey Stinger is my favorite also, not just because I’m a friend of the founder. Did you know that the company is owned by the same guys behind Big Agnes (Sleeping Bags, Pads, and Tents)? Bill Gamber’s father invented the Squeeze Honey Bear!

July 8, 2013 at 10:30 AM

Thanks for the informative comment — I knew none of this! A Squeeze Honey Bear has been in our house forever!

6. taplatt

July 8, 2013 at 1:39 PM

I’m a big Honey Stinger fan, and have used their chews for marathon and half marathon training/racing.

July 8, 2013 at 10:32 PM

Just curious, since I am not a marathon runner, how do you carry your Honey Stinger products during a race? Cyclists have three large pockets on the back of our jerseys that allow us to carry a LOT of carb gels.

• taplatt

July 9, 2013 at 7:07 AM

I would cut a small slit in the pack to let the air out, then stuff it in my running shorts pocket and/or in my sports bra. A bit tricky without a cycling jersey, but for half marathons I just need one pack, so it works okay.

7. Richard E Marion

July 8, 2013 at 6:24 PM

Your wife is very thoughtful providing you dedicated cabinet space. The syncing and synergy of bicycles and nutrition is an intriguing subject. It is sad that chocolate melts so willingly on the road in the summer. Keep Writing.

July 8, 2013 at 10:35 PM

No question about it — my wife is wonderful! I used to have a lot of trouble on any ride of over 25 miles — then I figured out that my problem was poor nutrition while on the ride. Once I got my carbs in order I started hitting Century rides with no trouble.

8. Irish Katie

July 8, 2013 at 9:27 PM

Ok….why have I not tried these? I hope to try them one day soon nod nods….though…not the choco covered ones. For 2 reasons..

1) When I take snacks with me on rides I do not like the coated ones…because as you say…they melt. (Except in the winter months nod nods.)

2) I LOVE choco. I might eat them all at once! And then after eating like 4 bars I would feel blech…and that was before I would even get on my bike! lol

July 8, 2013 at 10:37 PM

The Dark Chocolate Cherry Almond protein bars are HIGHLY addictive (and it is one addiction I have no intention of breaking).

9. DummyDiva

August 4, 2013 at 1:00 PM

I absolutely LOVE the Energy Chews! They saved my a&$ the last 11 miles of headwinds in a 100K last May.

August 4, 2013 at 4:51 PM

The Honey Stinger Energy Chews provide a LOT of great flavor in a very small package!

10. jasone

March 30, 2014 at 8:27 PM

Honey Stinger is a main cycle/exercise staple in our house! I got hooked on the waffles and then sampled their bars and fell in love. Their pink lemonade chews are my girlfriends favorite.

March 31, 2014 at 5:31 PM

Funny, I just ordered a fresh supply of Honey Stinger Waffles yesterday! Don’t leave home without them!

• fastk9dad

April 8, 2014 at 9:25 AM

I got tired of ordering them so I set up a subscription on Amazon so they just magically show up at my door now. lol

April 10, 2014 at 11:11 AM

They show up magically and they taste like magic — a win-win situation.

April 10, 2014 at 11:13 AM