AfterShokz Sportz M2 Open Ear Sport Headphones with Microphone

23 Jun

Listen up ladies and gentlemen—I am going to tell you about the coolest gadget I’ve bought this year! I love listening to music when I am riding my bike, especially on long rides. However, wearing headphones in both ears while riding on the road is banned in most states. A few years ago I bought a new pair of Apple EarBuds and cut off one of the ear pieces so I could ride legally (obviously, I kept the side that has the microphone on it). While the modified Earbuds worked, they were far from perfect—the sound quality wasn’t all that great. A few months ago I bought a pair of AfterShokz Sportz M2 Open Ear Sport Headphones and they are simply awesome—now I can ride my bike, listen to my music and still hear ambient noises.

AfterShokz Sportz M2 Open Ear Sport Headphones

AfterShokz Sportz M2 Open Ear Sport Headphones

AfterShokz Sportz M2 Open Ear Sport Headphones sit in front of your ears, not in them. They use bone conduction technology so you are basically listening through your cheekbones! The sound quality is better than any headphone I’ve ever tried before and since there is nothing in your ears you can still hear ambient noises (cars, horns, motorcycles, rabid dogs and riding partners).

AfterShokz Sportz M2 Open Ear Sport Headphones

Wear the unit in front of your ears

These headphones also have an in-line microphone that allows your to take or make phone calls—and the sound quality here is also flawless. The microphone is contained in small box (2″ x .75″ x .5″) that can easily clip onto your jacket or cycling jersey. The microphone box also houses the on/off switch, volume control, call button and a micro-USB port for charging the built-in lithium battery. You can charge this unit by plugging it into the USB port on almost any computer, or by connecting it to the same charger you use for your iPhone or iPod (or most other USB chargers).

AfterShokz Sportz M2 Open Ear Sport Headphones

Control box with microphone, volume buttons, call button and charging port

The headphone unit comes with a sturdy carrying case, USB charging cables, instruction manual, and a 5mm connector (which you probably won’t need unless your phone case has a high-profile). I am able to get about 10 to 12 hours of use between charges. This unit is water-resistant, but not water proof (you can probably safely ride your bike in the rain with these on, but don’t take them swimming). This headphone is also great for skateboarding, hiking, and skiing. I’ve not had any problems using this headphone, even when wearing sunglasses and a bike helmet.

AfterShokz Sportz M2 Open Ear Sport Headphones

Comes with a carrying case, charging cord, extension cord and instruction manual

The AfterShokz Sportz M2 AS321 Open Ear Sport Headphones with Microphone retail for around $80 ($60 on Amazon.com) and they are one of the best investments you can make if you like riding your bike while listening to music. AfterShokz has recently introduced a Bluetooth pair of headphones, the AfterShokz Bluez Open Ear Bluetooth Wireless Headphones. The Bluetooth model retails for around $120 and the microphone is positioned near the left transducer. I have ordered a pair of the Bluetooth headphones from an Amazon.com retailer, but they have not yet arrived (I will post a review of them later).

Tags: , , , , , , , ,

39 responses to “AfterShokz Sportz M2 Open Ear Sport Headphones with Microphone

1. F. Mohr

June 23, 2013 at 2:38 PM

This is great! Does it work with any cell phone or only iphone?

2. Marguerite Nico

June 23, 2013 at 2:48 PM

That looks like something my husband needs to buy me–I ride with one earbud in and one dangling right now, but I think I’ll get these. Thanks for the review!!

June 23, 2013 at 10:01 PM

Glad you liked the review. Please print out a copy of the article and give it to your husband and tell him how much you like these (men love subtle hints like that).

3. Joboo

June 23, 2013 at 3:27 PM

Interesting!!
    How do they sit during off road use?
    How do they sit once things get sweated up??
    Thanks!!
    Pedal On!!

Peace

June 23, 2013 at 10:02 PM

Joboo — I use these mainly for off-road use and they stay in place, even when you are sweating like a Chicago politician at a deposition.

4. sweetsnbeets

June 23, 2013 at 4:31 PM

What a great solution! How do they perform in terms of others hearing what you’re listening too. For example, if you wore them running could passers by hear your sometimes embarrassing song choices?

June 23, 2013 at 10:08 PM

Embarrassing song choices? You’re not listening to the “hair bands” from the 80’s are you? Anyway, I should have mentioned this in the article, so thanks for asking. I was standing just three feet away from one of my sons when he was wearing these and listening to his music and I couldn’t hear a thing until he really cranked up the volume (he wants a set of these now).

5. Charles Huss

June 23, 2013 at 7:03 PM

What a great product. I always listen to audiobooks or podcasts while riding because music prevents me from hearing what is around me. This could be the answer. In addition, some earphones actually amplify the sound of wind blowing through my ear but since this is not in your ear, that shouldn’t be a problem.

6. Deb Coy-Cirillo

June 23, 2013 at 7:19 PM

How is the audio when riding in windy conditions, and the same questions as Joboo.
    I really LOVE your blog, AND the fact that you blog frequently!

Keep the rubber side down!

June 23, 2013 at 10:05 PM

The audio quality is great with winds up to around 25 MPH or so. The funny thing is that you could put ear plugs in and still be able to hear the music. Thank you so much for the kind words about the blog!

7. Irish Katie

June 23, 2013 at 8:13 PM

Hmm…I have never worn anything to listen to music. I think here it is illegal…and since I do mostly road riding I try to be very aware of my surroundings.

But what is amazing is that it does not go in your ear? This seems like technology that kids can now use to listen to their music without damaging their hearing. I must look into this as my daughter listens to her music way too loud when I am not around.

June 23, 2013 at 10:12 PM

I am not a lawyer (thank goodness), but from what I have been able to read most states prohibit headphones that either cover your ears or fit in them. Since these leave your ears open and you can still hear ambient noise they would not be any different than listening to the radio in your car. But then again, I am not a paid liar, I mean lawyer, so I am not going to suggest you violate any laws (even the really stupid ones).

8. Joy

June 23, 2013 at 9:22 PM

Wierd, I was just reading about these. Now I have to get them!

9. Urban Rider

June 23, 2013 at 9:44 PM

Thanks for bringing this to our attention. I have trouble using ear buds because my ear openings are small. The ear buds don’t fit in very well. I love this idea you showed us.

10. Jeff Katzer

June 24, 2013 at 9:09 AM

Thanks friend… I’m buying some of these right now.

June 24, 2013 at 10:29 PM

Please let me know how you like them!

• Jeff Katzer

July 7, 2013 at 5:58 PM

I just gave the M2’s a test drive in my van. I like em’

July 7, 2013 at 10:25 PM

Glad to hear it! I got the Bluetooth model in the mail this week — they are even better!

11. Bob Rogers

June 24, 2013 at 10:33 AM

Thanks! I’m putting this in my wish list!

12. Melanie's Menagerie

June 24, 2013 at 10:56 AM

These are cool! I ride with my Apple earbuds dangling as well…

June 24, 2013 at 10:30 PM

Those dangling earbuds are a royal pain — this is so much better!

13. xcountrypearl

June 24, 2013 at 11:13 AM

Great review of a product I knew nothing about! I’m putting this on my wish list.

14. swimbikeread

June 24, 2013 at 12:44 PM

I have something similar for swimming (Finis Swimp3), which I love. I don’t like anything in my ears – I like hearing what’s going on around me – so this device using sound conduction through bone would be perfect. Thanks for the review.

June 24, 2013 at 10:30 PM

The quality of sound form bone conduction is simply amazing! I hope you like them!

15. spokengear

June 24, 2013 at 2:32 PM

Great Review! I’m wondering if they actually cut the wind noise in your ear, like the Cat Ears you recently reviewed. After reading the review of the Cat Ears, I tried placing a finger in front of my ear and it did cut the noise significantly, so I’m wondering if the placement of these does the same thing?

June 24, 2013 at 10:32 PM

These headphones don’t do much to reduce wind noise because they are so small. I haven’t tried it yet, but there is no reason you couldn’t wear the Cat-Ears AND the AfterShokz at the same time.

16. Colleen Lerro

June 25, 2013 at 3:41 PM

Great post! I’m a huge fan of AfterShokz!!!

June 25, 2013 at 7:50 PM

Glad you like them! I’ve ordered the Bluetooth model and can’t wait to try them out.

17. ozboomer

June 25, 2013 at 11:32 PM

Wow, this is great! I do a fair bit of longer distance solo rides, but have always been a little nervous to wear earbuds for the safety reasons you mention. I am definitely getting a set of these!

June 26, 2013 at 2:31 PM

The Bluetooth model is only not all that more expensive than this corded model — I will try to review it in a month or so.

18. kurtbredeson

June 28, 2013 at 9:45 AM

Wow, these sound amazing! For the same reasons as everyone else, I haven’t ridden with music in at least 3 yrs. This could really work. Had a guy pass me once with a blaring mini-stereo strapped to his chest so all could hear, not a good idea.

June 28, 2013 at 3:08 PM

I can’t wait to try out the Bluetooth model — I love my music, but hate the cord!

19. ozboomer

June 28, 2013 at 11:59 PM

Reblogged this on Cycling Group Rides and commented:
    These look awesome!

20. Blinksy

June 2, 2014 at 8:52 AM

So any comments on the quality of phone calls? i.e. does the microphone pick up too much wind noise? Also how waterproof they are? Ta :)