Lezyne Alloy Drive High Volume Hand Pump

13 Jun

Regular readers of this blog know that I only review products that I’ve actually used myself in “real world” conditions. Unfortunately, most of the time when I review tire pumps or CO2 cartridges I have to test them out in my garage since it is hard to know when you are going to get a flat tire. However, the first ride I took with the Lezyne Alloy Drive High Volume Hand Pump I got a puncture just six miles away from my house! This pump is easy to use and far exceeded my expectations.

Lezyne Alloy Drive High Volume Hand Pump

Lezyne Alloy Drive High Volume Hand Pump

I bought the medium-sized Lezyne Alloy Drive pump for my Surly Necromancer Pugsley—a Fat Bike with massive 4″ wide tires. Fat Bike tires usually run at very low pressure (10 to 15 psi on off-road trails; 5 to 7 psi on sand or snow), but they do require a high volume of air. Most bicycle hand pumps are designed to work the other way around (high pressure, low volume) and they would take forever to fill up a Fat Bike tire. A high volume pump like this one will fill your tires is 30% less time than most other pumps.

Lezyne Alloy Drive High Volume Hand Pump

High Quality Aluminum Construction

The Lezyne Alloy Drive pump is made with CNC-machined aluminum construction, which makes it very durable and extremely lightweight—just 4.5 ounces (128 g) without the frame mount. This pump has a flex hose with a threaded Presta connection on one end and a threaded Schrader connection on the other. The flex hose is stored inside the pump when not in use and the entire unit attaches easily to your bike frame with the included pump mount.

Lezyne Alloy Drive High Volume Hand Pump

Flex Hose With Presta and Schrader Connectors

This pump is 9.2 inches long and about as big around as a quarter. The pump is rated for a maximum pressure of 90 psi, but if you ride a Fat Bike, or even most mountain bikes, you are never going to need pressures near that high.

Lezyne Alloy Drive High Volume Hand Pump

The Flex Hose Easily Connects To The Pump

The Lezyne Alloy Drive pump retails for $45 and is available in four colors (Black, Blue, Red and Yellow). You can purchase this pump directly from the Lezyne website or from your local bike shop. If all else fails you can also find it on Amazon.com.

Tags: , , , ,

26 responses to “Lezyne Alloy Drive High Volume Hand Pump

1. Joboo

June 13, 2013 at 7:15 AM

You are spot on about the Leynze pumps!!
    I have this model http://www.lezyne.com/en/products/hand-pumps/high-volume#!micro-floor-drive-hv-hvg
    Since i ride my “Fattie” year round this pump is tucked away nicely in my frame bag until its needed, and has saved my arms ;) and ride more often than not!!
    Money well spent and worth every penny!!
    Pedal On!!
    Peace

June 13, 2013 at 8:45 AM

Sounds like you’ve had a few more flats on your Fat Bike than I’ve had on mine! With the Alfine 8 hub I have on my Pugs it is a real pain to change the rear tire — glad I don’t have to do it very often.

• Joboo

June 13, 2013 at 9:28 AM

No more than normal, whatever that may be, but enough to know the value of a good HV pump. ;)
        The model Leynze I use is bomb proof during cold weather, that in itself makes the pump invaluable!! Lots and lots of air ups after bleed psi during winter rides.

2. stagewest

June 13, 2013 at 10:27 AM

Great pump! I got one of these for my lovely bride, and it works perfectly well for her on both her road and mountain bike.
    Chris

3. billgncs

June 13, 2013 at 10:44 AM

does it rattle ?

4. westonfront

June 13, 2013 at 12:02 PM

I got one of these as I wanted a small pump to go into the rack bag on the back of my recumbent. Without doubt it is the best ‘take it with you’ tyre pump I’ve ever had. Apart from it’s great effectivness in getting air into tubes quickly (it’s primary function after all!) I’d flag two key features (i) it comes with fitting for both Presta and Schrader valves – for me this may be important one day as I ride on 20″ wheels. I have Presta (narrow racing) valves on my trike, but I know one day in the wilds I’ve have to buy a tube, and when I do it will be something designed for kids on their BMX’s and I’ll need the Schrader fitting. (ii) It might be considered naff to have the connection tube, just like very old fashioned pumps, but it never slips, pops off or leaks – I don’t want to use a quick release pump ever again thanks to the small tidy design of the Lezyne.

June 14, 2013 at 7:35 PM

There is no doubt that the connector on the Lezyne pump is better than the vast majority of “quick release” connectors I’ve used. I was just so impressed by how quickly it filled up my tires (tyres).

5. Alex's Cycle

June 13, 2013 at 2:28 PM

This is a great pump my friend took one when we cycle to paris and it made re-inflating the tyres after punctures so much easier and faster! Plus it’s so small and lightweight for a pump.

June 14, 2013 at 7:36 PM

The weight of this pump is simply amazing — you will never even know it’s there!

6. Jeff Katzer

June 13, 2013 at 9:10 PM

Interesting, I think that might be a good backup to my high volume CO2 cartridges. Thanks for the info.

June 14, 2013 at 7:37 PM

I bought it as a backup for my CO2 cartridges, but after using it I am thinking about just dumping the CO2 altogether.

7. Gina

June 14, 2013 at 1:23 PM

I have this one and I LOVE it!

8. Pairodox Farm

June 16, 2013 at 5:13 AM

Hey there. I was quite pleased this morning to see that another real ‘biker’ had checked into my Pairodox blog to read about our recent P.E.I. bike trip. I’ll be back later to check on all things bicycle here at All Seasons Cyclist. Please do check back at Pairodox to see more P.E.I. photos – perhaps even one of the Trek T900 that we used on the trip. Thanks again for your interest. D

June 16, 2013 at 10:46 PM

I found your blog through the WordPress Reader since your used the “Bicycle” tag in your post. Ride safely!

9. isaac976

June 17, 2013 at 12:39 AM

Need your view on something which I posted recently, lemme know. Thanks

June 17, 2013 at 1:45 AM

How can I help?

• isaac976

June 17, 2013 at 2:33 AM

Nah I posted on my blog about Ceramic bearings.. just wondering whats your take on it?

10. Eugene

June 17, 2013 at 2:45 AM

I have one of these and have used it for a couple of years now and it still works perfectly! Well engineered and even survived a trip through the washing machine (I cycle with it in my backpocket!). Light, doesn’t rattle and inflates a tube with minimal effort for a little handpump. My best pump ever!

June 17, 2013 at 10:33 PM

I’ve had a lot of my cycling gear go through the washing machine, but never a pump!

11. kshawnedgar

June 20, 2013 at 8:17 PM

It’s a nice looking (and functional) air-powered stick. Thanks for the helpful reviews.

12. Richard E Marion

June 22, 2013 at 3:51 PM

It’s queued to augment three [resident] cheap car pumps in office here… Before a genuine road flat… After the 13-32 Cogset… After another Chain… Good Review. Thanks.

June 29, 2013 at 10:10 AM

I went to the local bike shop yesterday and ordered ANOTHER Lezyne pump for one of my other bikes. Don’t wait too long for the pump — you might need it!