Dual Power Eyewear Dual SL2 Sunglasses

13 May

Several years ago I needed to have eye surgery and when I started looking for a surgeon a good friend of mine, a man who had been blind for about half of his life, insisted that I see on particular because he was “the best.” My friend said, “God only gave you one set of eyes so you better take care of them.” My friend has since passed away, but I remember his advice every time I buy a new pair of cycling glasses. One of my favorite pair of cycling sunglasses is the Dual Eyewear Dual SL2 Sunglasses.

Dual Power Eyewear Dual SL2 Sunglasses

Dual Power Eyewear Dual SL2 Sunglasses

The simplest way to explain the Dual SL2 Sunglasses is to tell you that they are a great pair of sunglasses with a pair of reading glasses built-in. The reading glasses portion is available in three powers (+1.5, 2.0, and 2.5 spot diopters). These sunglasses are incredibly lightweight (only 20 grams) and the shatterproof lenses are made of scratch-resistant polycarbonate. The glasses provide 100% UVA, UVB, and UVC protection. The rubber nose pieces on these glasses are perfect for cyclists—I’ve not had them slip a bit even on off-road trails. The lenses are available in two colors (smoke and brown). In addition to the SL2 Dual Eyewear offers several other models of sunglasses and every pair comes with a nice storage bag/cleaning cloth. They also sell lenses in three other colors: clear for night rides, and both amber and rose lenses for cloudy days.

My distance vision is a perfect 20/20, but I do need a bit of help reading fine print (8 point type or smaller), and especially in low light conditions. I can read a text-message on my iPhone without glasses, but I have trouble reading the very small type found in the maps application. The Dual SL2 Sunglasses look like regular sunglasses, but they have a barely noticeable magnification area built into the lower part of the lenses. What this means is that now you can read even the smallest print on your GPS, bike computer or cell phone without having to switch glasses!

The Dual SL2 Sunglasses retail for $50 online and I would highly recommend that you buy at least two pair. Once you have tried these on your bike you are going to want another pair for your car. After my first bike ride with these glasses I ordered another pair the same day.

The highest bit of praise for these sunglasses came from a U.S. Marine (my youngest son). I had these glasses sitting on my desk when my son came in and picked them up. He doesn’t need the magnification area on the lenses, but when he tried them on he said, “These look and fit better than my Oakleys.” If you know anything about Marines, you know how much they love their expensive Oakley sunglasses!

Dual Power Eyewear is based on Boulder, Colorado. They offer a generous 30-day 100% satisfaction guarantee, but I doubt if you will ever need it—once you try these out you are going to love them!

Tags: , , , , , , ,

24 responses to “Dual Power Eyewear Dual SL2 Sunglasses

1. christov10

May 13, 2013 at 5:43 AM

Thanks for the tip. Now when my wife asks what I want for Father’s Day, I know what to ask for.

May 26, 2013 at 11:20 PM

I am sure you will like these sunglasses — I can’t ride without them anymore.

2. billgncs

May 13, 2013 at 6:46 AM

my vision is so bad that I have to have prescription lenses ( now progressives ), I finally had to settle for photo-gray lenses in my regular glasses.

May 26, 2013 at 11:21 PM

I used to wear a pair of photo-gray prescription sunglasses, but then I had eye surgery so I could wear regular sunglasses (one of the best decisions I’ve ever made)

3. Ed

May 13, 2013 at 6:59 AM

I agree with everything in your post. I have had these for about a year and they are great. The lenses are great, they are comfortable and light. I am planning on getting a second pair for general wear.

May 26, 2013 at 11:22 PM

I now own three pairs of these sunglasses — and am considering a fourth!

4. isaac976

May 13, 2013 at 7:10 AM

Do they come with polarized ? how is the fit ? I am sure you son has those M-Frame Ballistic that only is sold to the army, but if he says it a good fit, I am so interested in it now .. cause I am sold on M-frame. Thanks for the review again

5. elisariva

May 13, 2013 at 9:49 AM

Great idea and very needed for a “maturing” generation of fitness people!

May 26, 2013 at 11:25 PM

“Maturing” yes, but “mature” no (at least according to my wife — she still has not embraced the subtle humor of The Three Stooges).

6. xcountrypearl

May 13, 2013 at 10:04 AM

Great post! I wear glasses but they are not the automatic adjusting kind for sunlight and I can’t wear sunglasses on top of them. I have contacts so then I could wear sunglasses but then I need reading glasses to read my phone or app. These fit the bill EXACTLY! Thanks for the review! I’m putting them on my wish list FOR SURE!.

May 26, 2013 at 11:26 PM

These glasses are one of the best cycling purchases I’ve ever made — I am sure you will like them.

7. paul

May 14, 2013 at 3:14 AM

Have a pair of Dual SL2 and like them , but recently I wanted a pair similar to Oakley and another pair with 2 lenses (clear and transitions) found what I needed at great prices from http://www.DixonEyewear.com they were perfect for my two month tour of Japan during January/February /March of this year, came with snap in prescription inserts so whenever I dropped them or lay them down I was not damaging the prescription lens,even though they are tough as hell.

May 26, 2013 at 11:29 PM

Word of warning to my readers: The Website listed in the above post has to be the most annoying website I’ve ever seen. You might be better off if you take a couple of motion-sickness tablets before you click on the link, and make sure your turn the volume down on your computer.

8. Tilden & Cathy Mendelson

May 15, 2013 at 10:27 AM

I love reading your posts and can generally offer nothing better, but on this one, you should consider advising your readers on a much cheaper and very good alternative: Cheater Safety Sunglasses at Duluth Trading Co. They come in sunglasses and a clear and 7 diopter choices from 1.25 to 3.0 and cost only 19.50 (17.50 ea if you buy two)! They also have polararized bifocals for 24.95.

Tilden Mendelson

May 26, 2013 at 11:30 PM

There are several companies that make similar products and I like shopping on the Duluth Trading Co. Website. Their glasses are decent, but they are certainly not aerodynamic.

9. Irish Katie

May 15, 2013 at 10:11 PM

I saw someone else made reference to having prescription lenses … I am in the same boat. I wear progressive eye glasses. When I ride I use my normal eye glasses…which is not ideal at all. I will sometimes put contacts in …. but I do not like them.

Short of getting a prescription lens put in a pair of biking glasses, is there any other type of eye covering available for those of us who wear eye glasses?

May 26, 2013 at 11:33 PM

Katie, Performance Bike Shop used to sell a product like the one you are looking for — but I am not sure if it is still available (I used to wear them before I had eye surgery — in fact, the main reason I had the eye surgery was so I could wear “off the shelf” cycling sunglasses).

• Irish Katie

May 27, 2013 at 12:20 PM

Thanks AllSeasons. I took a look just a bit ago on their website. I do not see one that fits with regular eyeglasses … but perhaps I was not looking closely enough. (There were about 30some glasses and I only got through about half of the descriptions.)

I will keep looking though.

10. MikeW

May 20, 2013 at 1:14 AM

I’d like a steady supply sent to my house every month since I continually lose my sunglasses.

I’d like to see a sunglasses carrying method that is out of the way, not nerdy, not uncomfortable, and easy to access.

May 26, 2013 at 11:33 PM

It sounds like it could be rather expensive riding with you! Maybe you could buy these glasses in bulk and save a few dollars!

• MikeW

May 26, 2013 at 11:37 PM

LOL

11. swimbikeread

May 20, 2013 at 7:55 AM

I bought my husband a pair of bifocal sunglasses from Bragging Rights, (http://bragging-rights.com/catalog/cycling-sunglasses) and he loves them! Now he can read his bike computer when we’re out riding. Bragging Rights also makes frames for smaller faces.