SixSixOne Rage Elbow Soft Shell Pad

20 Feb

Three times in the past four years I’ve had a “parting of the ways” with one of my bikes. Unfortunately, I was always in the process of riding the bike when we parted ways—and when we went different directions it was always when I was riding on solid ice. Fortunately, the only thing I’ve hurt so far has been my pride, but to make sure I wouldn’t break an elbow this winter I started wearing SixSixOne Rage Elbow Soft Shell Pads when heading out on the ice.

SixSixOne Rage Elbow Soft Shell Pad

SixSixOne Rage Elbow Soft Shell Pad

SixSixOne Rage Elbow Soft Shell Pads easily slip over your arm and are held in place with a Velcro closure. Since most people wear this product in the summer for BMX or mountain biking it has several features to improve breathability, such as vented side padding and perforated neoprene construction. The area around your elbow has an internal hard cap protector and side-impact protection thanks to EVA foam padding. I was able to fit these pads under my winter cycling jacket without any trouble or loss of flexibility.

Side View Of The SixSixOne Rage Elbow Soft Shell Pad

Side View Of The SixSixOne Rage Elbow Soft Shell Pad

I didn’t use these pads on every ride this winter—they were reserved for days when we had sleet and ice falling from the sky or when I knew I was going to be riding over a frozen pond. Riding over frozen ponds is easy since my steel studded tires grip the ice well—the problem comes when you make the transition from the ice to the bank. While on the ice there is almost nothing to slow your forward momentum, but when you hit the shore your front tire slows down immediately while your rear tire is still at full speed—and that’s the best way to FDGB (Fall Down Go Boom).

SixSixOne Rage Elbow Soft Shell Pads come in four sizes (S, M, L, XL) and retail for $50. They are available at larger bicycle shops, as well as online retailers like Amazon.com and CompetitiveCyclist.com. SixSixOne also sells knee guards and they retail for $60 a pair.

Tags: , , , ,

19 responses to “SixSixOne Rage Elbow Soft Shell Pad

1. Wild Juggler

February 20, 2013 at 7:56 AM

Looks like a good product to me. And cycling over ice? You da man!

February 20, 2013 at 10:51 AM

I’ll never win a speed contest over the ice because I due exercise a bit of caution, but on the other hand, the terrain is always level and there are no tree branches in your way!

2. beechcreekproject

February 20, 2013 at 11:17 AM

I bought these as well as the Rage knee pads about a week ago and tried them out last weekend. I have to say they are very comfortable and after a few minutes of having them on I completely forget about them being on. The knee pads are a bit bulky but fit very well and don’t slip or bunch. I found both products were excellent.

February 20, 2013 at 11:36 AM

You are so right about forgetting you even have the elbow pads on! I’ve not tried the knee pads yet — thanks for the feedback.

3. Irish Katie

February 21, 2013 at 1:16 AM

I love that acronym…FDGB lol

4. Katie

February 21, 2013 at 5:23 AM

Safety first! 8). Looks like a great product.

February 21, 2013 at 12:13 PM

It is a lot better than having your arm in a cast for six weeks.

• Katie

February 21, 2013 at 1:35 PM

Yep!!! Just met a guy 4 weeks out from a front tire sliding out. Cracked helmet, broken collar bone but the bike and elbows are fine. 8)

5. Cherry

February 21, 2013 at 9:49 PM

What are you doing on a bike when there’s sleet and ice falling from the sky? Totally admire you for braving all weather. I’m surprised having they don’t causes any loss of arm mobility. Can you claim “parting of the ways” your phrase, or is it another “unplanned dismount”?

February 21, 2013 at 9:54 PM

I will claim the “parting of the ways” phrase in regards to bike crashes. It’s hard to believe, but it really is not that hard to RIDE on the ice — STOPPING on the ice is an entirely different matter. :) Actually, the most dangerous part is once you stop and put your foot down!

• st sahm

February 24, 2013 at 11:37 PM

Hope you find or create a product for the bottom of your biking shoe that grips on ice!

February 25, 2013 at 12:36 AM

My winter cycling boots do have “mud studs” or cleats, but they just don’t work that well on ice — I will try to find something better before next winter.

6. doctorlynn

February 22, 2013 at 11:57 AM

Ouchie! I guess if you’re going to ride, especially in the weather you do, you’re bound to fall once in a while. Those pads look like an excellent idea!

February 22, 2013 at 2:12 PM

The safest thing to do is stay inside during the winter — it is also the most boring (and I have the attention span of a three year old).

7. mtbtokyogirl

February 25, 2013 at 8:45 AM

Looks good. Actually i need a new pair for my knee too so i’ll check this one when i go out to get a protector. Need to protect my elbow as well!

February 25, 2013 at 10:56 AM

Their knee pads also cover the shins all the way down to your ankle. I don’t think I need these in the snow, but on some trails I might. Maybe next year.

8. sagaciouslysarah

February 28, 2013 at 10:36 PM

Could have used these today.

March 1, 2013 at 11:15 AM

It’s better to have them and not need them than to need them and not have them. Ride safely!