Park Tool AWS-10 Fold-up Hex Wrench Set

30 Jan

I carry several different brands of multi-tools in the saddle bags of my bikes, but when I am working on a bike in my garage I prefer to use products made by Park Tool Company. In fact, if you scroll to the bottom of the “My Bikes” page you will see that my garage almost looks like a Park Tool showroom. On the wall in my work area I have a set of Park Tool P-Handle Hex Wrenches and they are the wrenches I use when I need to apply a lot of torque, but most of the time when I need a hex wrench I use the Park Tool AWS-10 Fold-up Hex Wrench Set.

Park Tool AWS-10 Fold-up Hex Wrench Set

Park Tool AWS-10 Fold-up Hex Wrench Set

The Park Tool AWS-10 Fold-up Hex Wrench Set has seven hex wrenches (1.5mm, 2mm, 2.5mm, 3mm, 4mm, 5mm, and 6mm) and they are made from Bondhus Protanium, a high quality industrial steel that should give a many years of use. These wrenches have chamfered tips which makes them a pleasure to work with, and the wrenches all fold up into a slip-resistant composite handle. This handle feels very comfortable in your hand and that is probably the reason I like this product so well.

This tool weighs 3.7 ounces (104 grams) and measures 3.75″ long by .75″ tall and 1″ wide. While you could easily carry this with you as you ride I prefer more compact and lighter weight wrench sets for my saddle bags. However, at home when I care more about ease of use that I do weight I prefer this wrench set. In fact, I think you could walk into just about any bike shop in America as see that this is the tool most bike shop mechanics carry in their apron pockets.

The Park Tool AWS-10 Fold-up Hex Wrench Set retails for under $9 and is available at most bike shops. If your local shop does not carry this product they can easily order it for you—or you can visit Amazon.com and order it yourself.

Tags: , , , ,

10 responses to “Park Tool AWS-10 Fold-up Hex Wrench Set

1. Ezra

January 30, 2013 at 12:12 PM

I have the Park AWS-9 at home which I really like. It doesn’t have as many Hex Wrenches so I also use the Topeak Mini 18+ Multi-Tool which I take with me on rides also. I use park for a few other tools as well and they’ve really been so reliable and easy to use!

January 30, 2013 at 2:16 PM

I think the main reason I like this one so well is that it fits so well in my hand — I have a LOT of other multi-tools, but this one sees the most use.

2. lamostz

January 30, 2013 at 5:54 PM

The Hex Wrench Set would be so much easier on the grape harvester that I work on! Excellent tool!

3. Irish Katie

January 30, 2013 at 6:42 PM

Hmmm….I have loose hex wrenches….all a jumble at the bottom of some drawer. (Though I do have one for my saddle and one for my mirror in my bike bag.)

January 30, 2013 at 9:28 PM

I don’t like using the loose hex wrenches unless I have to — it seems like I always grab the wrong one (two or three times in a row).

4. chebandbecky

January 30, 2013 at 7:01 PM

I have a set of these, but use them for wheelchair repairs! I guess there’s a bit of crossover.

My brother would love your blog: he’s in England and cycles all year round. He once cycled from Lands End to John O’ Groats. I don’t think he could now…

January 30, 2013 at 9:29 PM

If it works, it works! Cycling from from Lands End to John O’ Groats sounds like the trip of a lifetime!

5. an uncommon girl

January 30, 2013 at 7:38 PM

looks nifty, thanks

January 30, 2013 at 9:29 PM

Lightweight, easy to use and inexpensive — a great combination.

6. GothicHeartsandBatWings

January 30, 2013 at 9:16 PM

Reblogged this on GothicHeartsandBatWings and commented:
    Bicycling is one of the most enjoyable things left to do around the week during the morning when busy with so much homework and the daily antics of a crazy life (that’s being the eldest for you), but recently, out of the blue, my bike mount suddenly became loose and the handle bars, when I was I’d 20 – 25 miles away from home, began to move up and down which led to a dangerous combination with the coming rain.
    But now that I came across this post from All Seasons Cyclist (great blog, must check out) I will march my happy butt to Home Depot or Walmart and buy self the Hex Wrench Set (those are the two places I’m aware of that sell it at least, from what I’ve seen) and carry it with me for good measure!
    Esepcially since that wrench set would have come in handy, more than you could imagine, that day. It took a long while to head back home, SAFELY I might add and with a lot of precision and effective maneuvering. So the lesson learned; inspect your bike before riding, give it a weekly maintenance or “check-up” and keep it a happy, clean, oiled machine. It’s not a toy, it’s a treasure.
    Next on the wishlist: AWS-10-Fold-up Hex Wrench Set.
    Keep safe!