Terramar Tech Skins Polypropylene Thermal Base Layer

09 Jan

Staying comfortable in inclement weather is all about layering. Anytime you wear two or more layers it is imperative that your base layer is good at wicking moisture away from your body. The Terramar Tech Skins Thermal Base Layer is lightweight (only 140 grams), extremely breathable and does an amazing job of keep your skin dry during strenuous outdoor exercise (like cycling).

Terramar Tech Skins Polypropylene Thermal Base Layer

Terramar Tech Skins Polypropylene Thermal Base Layer

The Terramar Tech Skins Thermal Base Layer is made of 100% polypropylene—this fabric is stain-resistant and provides a decent amount of odor control. Terramar makes three different thicknesses of crew neck base layers and this one is the thinnest. I’ve found that this base layer adds about 6 or 7 degrees of effectiveness, i.e., if you have a cycling jersey that will keep you warm down to 50 degrees, when you add this base layer you should be able to stay warm down to about 43 degrees (your experience might vary). One of the nicest things about this product is that if you get too warm you can take it off and stuff it in a jersey pocket.

There are many clothing companies that sell base layers, so what makes Terramar different? That’s a great question and one that is easy to answer: most companies sell base layers as a sideline, but at Terramar it is their only business! For over forty years these folks have specialized in manufacturing high performance base layers for climbers, cyclists, skiers, hikers, campers and other outdoor enthusiasts. I own a lot of their products and they all show evidence of being well thought out.

The Terramar Tech Skins Thermal Base Layer retails for $20 and is available from many different kinds of stores—from bike shops and ski shops to places like Gander Mountain (that’s where I bought mine). This product is available in five sizes for men (S, M, L, XL, and 2XL). Terramar also has a version of this product available for women, the Women’s Polypropylene Baselayer (S, M, L, XL, and XS). This product is manufactured in China.

Tags: , , ,

28 responses to “Terramar Tech Skins Polypropylene Thermal Base Layer

1. elisariva

January 9, 2013 at 10:24 AM

Hve you tried Craft? I wear the Craft base layer and love it. How does this compare? Craft is great but pricey.

January 9, 2013 at 3:07 PM

Craft makes excellent products as well, but I only have two of their base layers. In my opinion, if you compare the same thickness base layers from Craft and Terramar they are equal (no real winner). However, Terramar is over half the price.

2. Irish Katie

January 9, 2013 at 12:19 PM

It’s not nearly as cold here where I ride….however, I can see this coming in handy for when I do start riding in the early morns. I clicked on the ‘Woman’s Base Layer’ link … and they sell both the tops and the pants on these.

The sizing chart helps for the top … but for pants I tend to want to try them as sizing for waist and butt sometimes do not match.

What was helpful was the store locator. For anyone looking at the store locator … when you click it, it will give you a list of stores (that were not familiar to me … however, there is a little link in the corner of that for you to type in a zip code…and then about a dozen or so popped up for me. Yah!)

January 9, 2013 at 3:09 PM

Katie, thanks for the additional info — I forgot the mention the store locator which is a nice touch since this product is not just found at bike shops. If I recall correctly, you said before that yo live in an area with a lot of rain — in which case this product would be great since it wicks moisture away from the skin so well. Ride safely!

• Irish Katie

January 9, 2013 at 3:56 PM

I agree … I was thinking the same thing about using it whilst it is raining. I’m not too concerned about the pants … but I can definately see getting the top. And it’s in slmming black too lol.

3. Shonnie

January 9, 2013 at 1:35 PM

I need me some of these. :D Thanks for the info.

January 9, 2013 at 3:11 PM

You are certainly welcome! Please let me know how you like them!

• Shonnie

January 9, 2013 at 3:11 PM

I will, because I get cold when I ride in the winter. and I like to ride year around.

4. Lisa

January 9, 2013 at 7:24 PM

That’s a great price, I’m going to have to check that out.

5. sarahsdoodles

January 9, 2013 at 8:53 PM

Wow. That is super light weight. The biggest selling point for me is probably the price. Thermal layers like that are usually so expensive!

6. draconianstylist

January 9, 2013 at 10:34 PM

I have always had a problem with the polyproplene, it holds the stink. Even after you wash them, they smell fine when there are cool but as soon as they warm up the smell is back as though you had never cleaned them. I know I pay an arm and a leg for merino base layers but they don’t get the funk even after days of wearing them and they wash clean when you do.
    I do have the Terrramar silk shirts that I wear around the house but I’ve never tried them for biking. Sierra Trading Company usually has a good deal on 2nds on them.

7. All Seasons Cyclist

January 9, 2013 at 10:37 PM

I don’t own any of the Terramar Silk shirts — I’d really like to know how they perform during exercise. Please let me know if you try them out on a ride — or I might just have to order some for myself and see.

8. stumblingtowardgrace

January 9, 2013 at 11:09 PM

Thanks for the info. I am definitely going to look into it, because the cycling I do is too addictive to give it up all winter!

January 9, 2013 at 11:11 PM

I agree with you! Being stuck in a house all winter would drive me nuts!

9. The Captains Daughter

January 10, 2013 at 1:52 AM

Outside? In the cold? I’ll just hang out in the steam room until spring.

January 10, 2013 at 2:02 AM

Indoors? Under a roof? Watching reruns on TV? If I couldn’t ride outside I think my wife would have to hide all of the sharp objects in the house.

10. adventurecrow

January 10, 2013 at 12:14 PM

I have used one of these for an entire thru-hike of the pacific crest. I highly recommend their 2.0 system it’s really nice as an only shirt option.

11. canadianinjersey

January 11, 2013 at 4:52 AM

FYI, Terramar also makes great merino wool base layers. Quality and fit aren’t quite as good as Smartwool, IceBreaker or other manufacturers, but Terramar wins hands down on price. Campmor has great prices on Terramar.

January 11, 2013 at 11:14 AM

Thanks for the note! The store where I bought this product apparently does not carry their Merino wool products — and I love Merino wool for cycling jerseys!

12. TdF

January 11, 2013 at 6:49 AM

i love polypropilene, when craft will discover this fantastic material it would be good…

January 11, 2013 at 11:12 AM

Polypropylene is one of my favorite materials for base layers — it is inexpensive, lightweight and very effective.

13. Irish Katie

January 14, 2013 at 7:45 AM

Oh….I went and looked at some base layers the other day … they did not have the one you showed….but I did get another. I didn’t really see specs on it … but it did say it was a merino blend. It was made by a company called Paradox…and said something about “dri release” technology.

We’ll see how it does for wicking moisture away whislt keeping me warm. The one thing I did like was that it had a zippered neck that went up a bit higher … like a collar.

January 14, 2013 at 5:17 PM

Katie — I’ve never heard of Paradox before, but if it has Merino Wool you should like it — it is another one of my favorite fabrics (it keeps the skin dry and doesn’t retain odors like most fabrics do).

• Irish Katie

January 14, 2013 at 5:48 PM

OMG … you are calling me stinky aren’t you!

January 14, 2013 at 6:16 PM

No way possible — redheads are always perfect (at least that is what my wife keeps telling me).