Finding Your Fitness Motivation

04 Jan

How are those New Year’s resolutions working out for you? A lot of people start a new year with the best of intentions to change their eating habits, start a fitness routine and get in shape. However, without constant encouragement from family and friends some people just can’t seem to stay motivated to exercise and eat right. I’ll go back to writing product reviews on Monday, but today I would like to help you find a way to stay motivated this year!

Welcome To My Gym

Welcome To My Gym

If you need a bit of motivation to help you reach your fitness goals I would suggest you follow some of the blogs I read (listed below). On the right-hand side of this page you should see a partial list of the over 200 health and fitness blogs I follow (so glad I took that speed reading class). I wish WordPress would rotate the avatars (or as they call them, blavatars), but at the moment they only display the last fifty blogs I decided to follow. These avatars usually show a photo of the blogger (sometimes a logo) and if you move your cursor over the photo it tells you the name of their blog and their tagline. I just started using the widget that displays these avatars last week and, unfortunately, as soon as these avatars appeared I stopped following two of the blogs because I felt their avatars were very demeaning to women (and the sad thing is both of the bloggers were women!). Here are some of my favorite blogs (and I am so sorry if I forgot to mention your blog)…

Cyclists and Triathletes: Kent Peterson’s blog, aptly named Kent’s Bike Blog, is the blog I have followed for the longest length of time. There are two Minnesota-based blogs I thoroughly enjoy, The Adventures of Joboo and His Trusty Pugsley and Bill’s Magical Mystery Tour. Rounding out the list is Sip, Clip and Go (Massachusetts), IowaTriBob (Iowa), Tracy at SpringfieldCyclist (Missouri), elisariva (Ohio), and Elizabeth at Triathlon Obsession (New York). Annie at anniebikes is seasoned commuter who also loves to tour (Vermont). A little further away is Kitesurf Bike Rambling (UK). Jim at Fit Recovery is a recovering alcoholic/addict—I am not sure where he lives, but his blog is great!

Fitness, Weight Lifting and Body Building: You will notice that all the blogs in this section are written by women. I am not a sexist nor am I following these blogs for aesthetic reasons. However, if I am going to read an article about weightlifting or body building I would rather have the photo next to the article be of a smiling female than of some dude flexing his muscles with a strained look on his face that makes me think he needs to increase his intake of dietary fiber. Lisa Traugott at She’s Losing It! became my hero when I read that she does 400 lunges a day with a 50 pound weight! Dani Cee is a certified personal trainer and works as medical content writer and nutrition adviser. Joy is a certified personal fitness trainer and she writes at joyfitnessandstyle. Sara, a group exercise instructor, writes at Shh…Fit Happens. Sarah, a certified group fitness instructor, can be found at Strong, Fit, Beautiful. Katie at Fit Butt Fabulous is a first-grade teacher by day, health and fitness enthusiast by life. Newlywed Laura at Fit And Busy has a great motto on her site, “If you don’t make time for fitness now, you will have to make time for sickness later.” Joanna at Sports Bras And Sippy Cups is a fit momma who lifts more than just babies! Heather at Run Eat Play writes about every day life experiences with exercise, food, and family.

Diet and Nutrition: Even though I am not a vegan I enjoy reading what Laura at The Daily Meal has to say. Christy at Christy Fit is a fitness instructor and model, but she also has several recipes for great protein shakes. Even though she is no Martha Stewart, Doctorate Housewife also has some great recipes. You should also visit Carrie at Fitness And Frozen Grapes for some healthy, great-tasting recipes. Katie at Gettin’ My Healthy On is not a professional dietician, but she does have wonderful recipes (and a killer smile). Dr. Madeleine Vanstory at Rants, Rules & Recipes has an excellent blog—she explains why diets don’t work and why most food is garbage (you really need to visit this site).

Interesting People: Anita Mac is a world traveler and I enjoy reading her posts at traveldestinationbucketlist. Heather is an “explorer” with four young children and she writes at 7feetnorth. Melissa lives in a “small town in Illinois” and blogs at Spicy Homemaker. Stephanie at The Stolen Colon was diagnosed with Crohn’s Disease in 1999 and her blog is both uplifting and inspiring. You should also see Anka at Keeping it Real and Melissa, a Michigan photographer, at Melissa Not Dusting. Erin at Hey Hey, Erin May is a designer, writer, marketer and all-over creative for hire. And last, but certainly not least, there is Irish Katie, a frequent commenter on this site and the proud mother of a teenage daughter.

Posted by on January 4, 2013 in Life On Two Wheels

Tags: , , , , , , ,

52 responses to “Finding Your Fitness Motivation

1. Stephanie Hughes

January 4, 2013 at 9:21 AM

Thank you for your kind words. And I’m excited to check out some of your recommendations!

January 4, 2013 at 1:45 PM

You are certainly welcome! There are a lot of good links there (if you have the time).

2. elisariva

January 4, 2013 at 9:28 AM

Wow! Thank you for the shout out and for such great detail and references!

January 4, 2013 at 1:45 PM

You might have to miss a few laps in the pool to check the links out. :)

3. Chatter

January 4, 2013 at 9:28 AM

Oh no, even more blogs that I know I will have to go and check out and possibly add to my growing list. Fortunately most blogs only update once a day or every other day!

January 4, 2013 at 1:47 PM

I am beginning to appreciate the blogs that update just a couple of times a week — so many blogs, so little time.

4. Laura

January 4, 2013 at 9:54 AM

Hi, David! Thank you so much for the mention and the link!

5. tvjencook

January 4, 2013 at 10:05 AM

Great list – thanks for sharing!!

6. Joy

January 4, 2013 at 11:10 AM

Thanks for the shout out, and love finding new inspiring blogs to read!

January 4, 2013 at 1:50 PM

The hardest part about writing this article was limiting the number of blog I would mention — I started off at 15 and ended in the low 30′s.

7. acoxy1

January 4, 2013 at 11:21 AM

Reblogged this on WODjourney and commented:
    Great article with awesome blog mentions.

8. Carrie

January 4, 2013 at 12:25 PM

Thanks for the mention! Checking out some of my comrades now! :)

9. lasesana

January 4, 2013 at 2:09 PM

Hi! Your blog was one of my favorites to read and follow in 2012, so i nominated you for the Blog of the Year award.
    Check it out:

January 4, 2013 at 4:43 PM

Lasesana — I sincerely appreciate the award! That was very kind of you! After I got the Kreativ Blogger Award I decided not to post any more articles about awards again, but I am thrilled every time someone is considerate enough to nominate me for an award! By the way, I really appreciate you “5-Minute Spanish Lessons”. Take care!

• lasesana

January 5, 2013 at 7:25 AM

YAY! I’m glad you like the Spanish and congrats again!

10. Cherry

January 4, 2013 at 9:01 PM

wow, you are right – you do some serious speed reading!!

January 4, 2013 at 9:17 PM

The speed reading class I took MANY years ago was one of the best investments I’ve ever made!

11. Sheslosingit.net

January 4, 2013 at 11:12 PM

I know you’re not big on these awards…but…Just nominated you for the Versatile Blogger Award. Congrats! http://sheslosingit.net/2013/01/04/the-versatile-blogger-award-a-psychological-test/

Lisa

@sheslosingitnet

January 5, 2013 at 12:10 AM

That is so kind of you! What a way to start off the new year — two awards in the same day! I sincerely appreciate your consideration — and like I said in the article above, I really admire anyone who can do as many lunges in a day as you can (three sets of 12 and I’m done for the day).

12. thelbdiaries

January 5, 2013 at 7:44 AM

What a great reference list….rather excited to check out some of these, thanks.

January 5, 2013 at 9:11 PM

There are enough links there to kill the entire weekend! Best wishes for good reading.

13. Katie

January 5, 2013 at 9:08 AM

How cool. Thanks for the reference list break down.

January 5, 2013 at 9:13 PM

I think I might print a list like this every year — I keep finding so many new blogs I love!

14. Jeff Katzer

January 5, 2013 at 9:15 AM

Or…… One could JUST go outside and play :-)
    That works too. Oh, and may I add I really appreciate all the work you put into your site. Thanks

January 5, 2013 at 9:14 PM

You are so right! If cycling ever ceases to be fun I will cease being a cyclist.

15. kristenmichellebrown

January 5, 2013 at 11:41 AM

Bookmarked for future reference. Thank you!

January 5, 2013 at 9:15 PM

You are welcome! It took me longer to collect, sort and then thin down this list than I intended — but I do think it is a great list (if I do say so myself).

16. Irish Katie

January 5, 2013 at 2:47 PM

Reading through your post…and the comments. Lots of followers….lots you follow! I myself HAVE to follow yours … because I buy lots of bike stuffs thoughout the year and it helps when you write about them…and also, you write about them seemingly just as I am thinking about getting a particular item.

There’s a few blogs you mentioned here that I will be taking a look at too…I’m starting to get re-interested in the gym too (soon as that stupid back gets better…I have a cortisone shot scheduled for this coming Tuesday…I HOPE that that FINALLY gets me better.) Anyway, some of the fitness one’s will interest me I am sure.

And by the way … thanks for mentioning me … oh lord … please tell me I am not the gabbiest one on your blogs!

January 5, 2013 at 9:28 PM

Glad you find the reviews helpful! As for me writing about products just when you are ready to buy them, there is an easy explanation: I used to work in the circus as a mind reader (or was that as the world’s ugliest man?).

I hope the cortisone inject works for your back so you can get into the gym. Being an anti-social person myself I prefer to workout at home. :)

And by the way, everyone is glad to hear from you I’m sure! Ride safely!

17. 7feetnorth

January 5, 2013 at 2:48 PM

Excited to check some of these out, thanks!

January 5, 2013 at 9:34 PM

Hope you enjoy the blogs listed! By the way, I liked the comment on your blog about “tourists.” I’ve been able to travel a lot in the Levant (the eastern Mediterranean region from Turkey down to Egypt). The quickest way to identify a “tourist” is at the major monuments and landmarks — if they have to pose in front of them then they are tourists!

18. EmmaNutrition

January 5, 2013 at 6:07 PM

Nice one and thanks for this list. Checking them out now :)

19. Dani Cee

January 6, 2013 at 11:24 AM

Thank you so much for the mention and link! I really enjoy your blog and appreciate your avid interest in mine!!! Happy New Year! :)

20. Sports Bras And Sippy Cups

January 6, 2013 at 3:32 PM

Thank you!!! You are awesome!!!!!! I appreciate the mention!!!!!

21. groupridemd

January 6, 2013 at 5:02 PM

This is great. I’m up in Wisco (not to far from the Zion area), and I can relate well to the outdoor snow gym. I take brakes from the bike and strap on the skinny ski’s.

January 6, 2013 at 8:59 PM

I do most of my riding on the northern side of “The Cheddar Curtain” (as we like to call it). This year the snow has been really lacking (so far).

22. lyndonbeck

January 8, 2013 at 8:21 PM

Hey all Seasons, i’ve been a reader for a while. love your work! Do you mind if i reblog some of your posts? i’m at http://www.weekdaygeek.com

January 8, 2013 at 8:35 PM

You are more than welcome to reblog these posts (please include a link back to the original). By the way, out of all the things I’ve hit or run over while ridding at night, I’ve never hit a tree (I saw your post).

• lyndonbeck

January 9, 2013 at 3:12 AM

That’s cool, thanks. Not sure i have ever hit a tree before either.. but i certainly nailed it, or it nailed me, one or the other. There was bark embedded into the Allen head bolts on my stem.. haha.. the reason i posted it was i had been hit by a car a month before, so all my buddies got a good laugh out of me not being able to dodge even inanimate objects. no permanent damage, just a ripping yarn

23. lyndonbeck

January 9, 2013 at 3:16 AM

Reblogged this on Weekday Geek Weekend Adventure Freak and commented:
    The extremes of temperature on this planet are amazing. This guy often blogs about snow riding gear, my friend in France blogged it is 0 degrees there at the moment and here we are riding in 38 degrees. If you can learn to ride in extremes, your exercise regime can go almost completely uninterrupted all year.

24. margauxsmale

January 10, 2013 at 10:17 AM

Lush photo!

25. Karen

January 10, 2013 at 6:59 PM

hey thanks for the mention! I think reading bike blogs helps me stay motivated too…..it’s a shared experience, and I’d love to be able to ride with the bloggers I read. Someday…… :)

January 10, 2013 at 7:23 PM

I keep looking for bloggers to ride with — but everyone lives so far away!