DeFeet Woolie Boolie Winter Socks

28 Dec
DeFeet Woolie Boolie Winter Socks

DeFeet Woolie Boolie Socks

If you exercise outdoors during the winter you already know how difficult it can be to keep your feet warm. While there are many good winter socks on the market, the only one that I will wear for “heart of winter” cycling is the DeFeet Woolie Boolie Socks. These socks are advertised as being “multi-purpose” and I think that any cyclist, runner, skier, hiker, snowboarder or snowshoer would really enjoy them. In the fall and early winter I wear Pearl Izumi Elite Thermal Wool Socks, but the Woolie Boolie is meant for use when the temperature is below freezing (at least).

These socks are made of high quality Merino wool and while they have thick padding on the soles, they are not bulky (DeFeet calls it mid-weight cushioning). Even after four or five hours of exercising in the snow these socks are still warm and dry. DeFeet, a North Carolina based company, has been making quality socks for nearly 20 years. Even after several years of use these socks still look like brand new—the wool really holds up well.

DeFeet Woolie Boolie Socks are not cheap—they retail for $16 a pair for the 4″ cuff and $17 for the 6″ cuff. These socks are available in four sizes (S, M, L, and XL) and in my opinion they are a bit smaller than advertised. Since these socks are unisex in design, you might want to consult the DeFeet Website if you have any questions about sizing. A few years ago I bought four pairs of these socks in the large size, and this year I bought another four pairs in XL. Tight clothing in the winter is a real killer, and with looser socks I can always wear a pair of RedHead ThermoLite Liner Socks under the Woolie Boolie socks for added warmth.

Posted by on December 28, 2012 in Bicycle Clothing

Tags: , , , , ,

17 responses to “DeFeet Woolie Boolie Winter Socks

1. draconianstylist

December 28, 2012 at 9:57 AM

Not heard of this brand I’ll have to check them out. The price seems comparable to Smartwool and even a bit cheaper than some of the wool Bridgehale socks I like.

2. All Seasons Cyclist

December 28, 2012 at 12:00 PM

I am kind of surprised that these are actually cheaper than some other brands (I think $16 a pair sounds a bit high). However, warm toes are worth it!

3. Cherry

December 29, 2012 at 11:16 AM

i have the same pair of socks – i totally agree with their ability to keep warm without the bulkiness!! However, I find my toes still frozen after a near 0degreesC ride. How do you feel with these after on a below freezing ride? Here in Toronto at a local coop sporting store, they sell it for $14 =)

4. Irish Katie

December 29, 2012 at 11:18 AM

We don’t have below freezing here (yet) … but I need them NOW …. I am cold!

December 29, 2012 at 12:26 PM

When it gets really cold around here I wear these socks inside the house as well! Of course, I keep our house at 62 degrees in the winter so it can get a bit chilly inside.

5. womencyclists

December 29, 2012 at 7:29 PM

Oooh, I just bought a pair of their regular socks. I normally get a medium, but they only had a small, so hopefully they fit! Thanks for the review!

December 29, 2012 at 10:27 PM

DeFeet makes great socks for athletes (as does Pearl Izumi).

6. determined34

December 30, 2012 at 1:47 AM

Hope the wool is Australian Merino! :)

December 31, 2012 at 11:09 AM

I really don’t know where the wool for these socks comes from — since they don’t advertise it as being “Australian Merino Wool” I doubt if it is. However, I’ve read that Australian Merino is the best wool money can buy.

7. stumblingtowardgrace

December 30, 2012 at 10:13 PM

I’m pretty new to cycling — in fact haven’t gone further than 15 miles in one ride yet, although I’m working up to it. Thank you for liking my blog post. I’ve been happily puttering around here in yours and love it!

December 30, 2012 at 10:31 PM

A bad day on a bike is still better than a good day in the office. By the way, anyone who rides a bike AND can recognize a “Harvard comma” can’t be all bad.

8. John B

January 12, 2013 at 2:17 PM

I bought my first Woolie Boolies several years ago specifically for cold-weather cycling. Bear in mind, this was Texas cold weather, but still cold to me. I absolutely love the Woolie Boolies! So much, in fact, I wear them almost daily now for work or play. You just can’t go wrong with these great wearing, high quality socks.

January 12, 2013 at 11:59 PM

I think they are very cost-effective since they don’t wear out as fast as the other brands.

9. carolinechristensen

January 30, 2013 at 6:29 PM

Love DeFeet, they are one of our sponsors and we have a really great base layer that keeps you toasty warm!

January 30, 2013 at 9:26 PM

Congratulations on having them as a sponsor — they make great socks!