RedHead ThermoLite Liner Socks

30 Nov
RedHead ThermoLite Liner Socks

RedHead ThermoLite Liner Socks

If you run or ride a bike outside in cold weather you’ve probably heard that you should wear a second pair of socks to keep your feet warm. Under some circumstances this might be a good idea, but for most people it is horrible advice. Unless your shoes are too big to begin with, a second pair of socks will impede the circulation in your feet—which will make your feet feel colder than they would with just a single pair of socks. Instead of a second pair of socks I would suggest you try sock liners, such as the RedHead ThermoLite Liner Socks.

Many years ago, when I took up cross-country skiing, I used to wear polypropylene sock liners. Polypropylene is a plastic polymer that does an excellent job of wicking water away from the skin, but doesn’t add a lot of warmth. RedHead liner socks are made with Thermolite, a material created by the scientists at DuPont, and it is a comfortable, lightweight but heavy-duty fabric that provides warmth without extra weight, even when it is wet. This fabric has hollow-core fibers that trap air for greater insulation and it dries 50% faster than cotton. Thermolite fabric quickly wicks moisture away from the skin to help prevent chaffing and blisters.

RedHead ThermoLite Liner Socks are made with 70% Thermolite, 28% stretch nylon, and 2% spandex. The are warm and will keep your feet dry. Since the fabric is so thin you will probably not even notice that you have them on. I use this brand of sock liners for all of my outdoor winter activities, from cycling or snowshoeing to just running the snow blower in the driveway.

RedHead ThermoLite Liner Socks retail for $5 a pair and they are worth every penny of the cost. Redhead is the in-house brand of outdoor gear for Bass Pros Shops, so you will have to either visit one of their stores or their Website to buy this product. These liners are available in four sizes (S, M, L, XL). The small liner is designed to fit a woman’s size 4–6 shoe, and the XL liner with fit a man’s size 12–15.

Tags: , , , , ,

16 responses to “RedHead ThermoLite Liner Socks

1. wildjuggling

November 30, 2012 at 8:16 AM

Reblogged this on Wild Juggling and commented:
    I could have used these the last time I ran in the snow.

2. swimbikeread

November 30, 2012 at 8:29 AM

Thank you for the cold weather riding tips. I commute year-round (in MA) unless it’s icy or too snowy, and I’m always cold. Luckily I only have a 3-mile commute… Even so, sometimes I need the hand warmers – and they stay warm for the commute home! I might give the socks a try for road-riding in the Fall and Spring. Maybe then my feet won’t turn purple.

November 30, 2012 at 11:13 AM

Thanks for the note! Three miles can seem like a really long distance when it it -10 degrees outside. One time last year I was trying out some new gear and turned around after just two miles because the “winter” gear just couldn’t cut the near zero temperature I was riding in.

• zawest20122013

April 24, 2013 at 10:34 PM

I like all the products you have reviewed, plus tips. But, nothing here is yellow. An optimal color for visibility, and safety in bad weather. Why do you not present any yellow clothing when you’re the “All Weather Cyclist”? You’re not providing enough options. Other than your likes.

April 24, 2013 at 11:11 PM

I have reviewed a lot of hi-vis yellow clothing, but liner socks go UNDER your regular socks — no one is ever going to see them anyway. In addition, there are very few pieces of winter gear the come in yellow anyway — black or red clothing is a lot easier to see in the snow, and black clothing is usually warmer because it absorbs the heat better. If you look through my reviews you will find yellow helmets, jerseys, jackets, socks and gloves.

3. bgddyjim

November 30, 2012 at 10:08 AM

I have a Bass Pro Shop 1 mile from my office, I’m all over the liners. Thanks a ton!

November 30, 2012 at 11:14 AM

Just a mile from a Bass Pro Shop? You must live in a “high traffic” area — they seldom build those things out in the middle of nowhere.

• bgddyjim

November 30, 2012 at 3:06 PM

Auburn Hills brother, I’m a mile from Great Lakes Crossing. Let me tell you, restraint is an issue. I wanted to be where the work is though.

November 30, 2012 at 4:45 PM

I am just 10 minutes away from Gurnee Mills Mall (Gurnee, IL). The Bass Pro Shop is located in the middle of more than 200 other stores (none of which I care to enter).

4. elisariva

November 30, 2012 at 5:03 PM

Great tip! I will look into it. Running in Cleveland in winter is cold….

5. atalantatheargonaut

December 10, 2012 at 7:45 AM

I hate running with cold feet. I wish I had read this article before that guy at the running store talked me into these $10 socks made of South African wool (I didn’t even know there was such a thing). I’ll definitely have to check those out for my winter trail runs.

December 10, 2012 at 11:36 AM

Please let me know what you think of the sock liners. And for the record, I’ve never heard of South African wool either!

6. swimbikeread

December 25, 2012 at 11:46 AM

Just received a pair for Christmas – thanks for blogging about them. Hoping they’ll keep my feet warm.

December 25, 2012 at 12:06 PM

Please let me know what you think of them after you have had a chance to try them out!