Honey Stinger Energy Bars

31 Oct

Honey Stinger nutritional products have been a part of every single bike ride I’ve taken in the past few years. Honey Stinger Organic Energy Gels are the only carbohydrate gels I ever buy, and the highly addictive Honey Stinger Waffles go with me on every ride. After a bike ride I always need some protein, and the Honey Stinger Protein Bar is the only protein bar I ever buy (the Dark Chocolate Cherry Almond is simply awesome).

Honey Stinger Energy Bars

Honey Stinger Energy Bars

The folks at Honey Stinger recently sent me a box of one of their newest products to review, the Honey Stinger Energy Bars. While these bars are not strictly either carbohydrate or protein bars, if you enjoy natural food products I think you will find a place for them in your pantry. These bars are made with over 30% honey and offer 10g of protein, along with 22 vitamins and minerals, calcium, and antioxidants. These energy bars average about 180 calories per bar, and 30 to 50 of those calories are from fat. All Honey Stinger energy bars are Kosher certified (OU-D).

I sampled each of the four original Honey Stinger Energy Bar flavors (Peanut Butter’n Honey, Berry Banana Buzz, Apple Cinnamon and Rocket Chocolate). While I liked all of them, the Berry Banana Buzz was my favorite. Honey Stinger has recently introduced a new flavor, Blueberry Buzz, but I have not tried that flavor yet.

I mainly use these bars as a between-meal snack—they are also great to take to the movies with you! While you might also use them during exercise, I need to mention one thing that might impact cyclists in particular. Both the Peanut Butter’n Honey and the Rocket Chocolate have a chocolate coating on the bottom of them, while the Berry Banana and the Blueberry Buzz have a yogurt coated bottom. These coatings have a fairly low melting point and if your store the bars in one of your back jersey pockets (like most of us do) then this coating is going to melt. Therefore, it would be best to keep these bars in a seat bag or top tube bag while cycling.

Anytime I review food products I like to give the ingredients list. I am not going to give the list for each flavor, but I will give it for my favorite, the Berry Banana Buzz Energy Bar. Ingredients: Honeystinger (Honey, Sea Salt, Water); Honeystinger Fruitsmoothie Blend (Apple, Banana, Cranberry, Strawberry Bits & Honey); Almonds; Soy Nuggets (Soy Protein Isolate, Rice Flour, Malt, Salt); Coating (Sugar, Palm Kernel Oil, Yogurt Powder {Cultured Whey Protein In Concentrate, Cultured Skim Milk and Yogurt Culture} Non-fat Dry Milk Solids, Soya Lecithin {an emulsifier} and Natural Flavor); Soy Protein Isolate; Vitamins and Minerals.

Honey Stinger Energy Bars retail for $25 for a box of 15. Because retail shelf space is always limited, I doubt if you find this product at your local bike shop. However, it is available from Amazon.com and from the Honey Stinger Online Store.

Tags: , , , , , , ,

17 responses to “Honey Stinger Energy Bars

1. oneluckiegirl

October 31, 2012 at 9:23 AM

I think Honey Stinger is a fantastic product! I too have been using them for years! I especially like the Chews. The Cherry and Orange Blossom are my fave’s!

Nice review!

October 31, 2012 at 9:34 AM

You are so right about the Cherry and Orange Blossom Chews — they are awesome! I reviewed them sometime last year (but forgot to mention them in this article).

2. elisariva

October 31, 2012 at 10:18 AM

Couldn’t agree with you more! Honey Stinger is my only choice for fuel. I even eat the waffles on runs.

October 31, 2012 at 10:43 AM

A couple of times my wife accused me of going on a bike just so I could eat a Honey Stinger Waffle (I didn’t really know what to say since she was right).

3. irishkatie

October 31, 2012 at 4:52 PM

oh….have not tried that yet…see’s others like them though. Hmm…I am glad though that you brought up the choco or yogurt coat on it…i have opened other bars before and it is all melty. Yuck! I mean, it tastes good…but your hands get dirty…and you can’t just crumple the wrapper and stuff it back in your pack. It might be a good cold weather alternative though nod nods.

October 31, 2012 at 9:11 PM

I’ve had the same problem with some of the Clif Bars that have “icing” — they really can make a mess on a hot day if you are not paying attention.

4. womencyclists

October 31, 2012 at 6:23 PM

Yum Yum! I love the waffles! I have one sitting in my cabinet that I’m saving for a special occasion–they make delicious treats!

October 31, 2012 at 9:10 PM

Special occasion? Isn’t every bike ride a special occasion? :)

• womencyclists

November 1, 2012 at 8:24 AM

=) Yes, it is. Very much indeed. However, I’ve put her away for the winter (I know…I say this with a bit of shame while posting to the “all seasons cyclist!” I’m such a wimp!). So by “special occasion” I meant when I’m drowning out my sorrows because I haven’t ridden my bike in ages…and then I eat one to feel like I had.

5. the drunken cyclist

November 1, 2012 at 6:23 AM

With so many great nutrition products out there, not sure I can support Honey Stinger due to the Lance involvement.

6. Cherry

November 6, 2012 at 5:02 PM

I’ve definitely seen this at local bike store but never tried it yet! Does the banana flavour taste remotely like banana bread?

November 6, 2012 at 5:21 PM

It does have a banana taste, but I would not call it banana bread (but then again, I am spoiled since my wife makes the best whole wheat banana bread in the world).

7. Sarah

January 29, 2013 at 8:16 PM

I don’t seem to be able to order from the Honey Stinger website to Australia (Perth). Can anyone tell me why? Or if it is even possible to order these fantastic bars that I’ve tried overseas into Australia??

January 29, 2013 at 8:22 PM

Sarah — I just looked at the Honey Stinger Website and they don’t mention overseas shipping. However, I did find an email address for you so you can write to them and ask them yourself. Here it is:
      buzz@honeystinger.com

8. Claire Martin

February 1, 2013 at 4:16 AM

Good write up. I love honey stinger and I’m gutted that they are no longer available in the UK :(

February 2, 2013 at 9:18 PM

So sad to hear you can’t get them in the UK. I just ordered four more boxes of them a few minutes ago — the next time I have one I will think of your note!

9. skybunnies

February 22, 2013 at 12:09 AM

We don’t get honey stings in Australia, but there’s an awesome range of energy cookies and bars that are mega addictive- Em’s Power Cookies (http://www.powercookies.com/)!