Pearl Izumi Cyclone Toe Covers

12 Sep

Even though summer is not officially over, those of us in the Upper Midwest can already see the leaves on the trees changing their color. It is also that time of year when we have to start thinking about finding the toe covers for our cycling shoes. If you need toe covers for a road shoe the Pearl Izumi Cyclone Toe Covers might do the job for you.

Pearl Izumi Cyclone Toe Covers

Pearl Izumi Cyclone Toe Covers (Side View)

Pearl Izumi Cyclone Toe Covers slip over the front of your cycling shoes and block the wind that would normally pass through the air vents on the shoes. The Cyclone Toe Cover is made from Pearl Izumi’s AmFIB fabric (65% polyester, 30% nylon, and 5% spandex) to block the wind, coupled with a Microfleece lining to keep your toes warm. These covers have a durable rubber sole with a cutout for your cleats, but this cover is only suitable for road shoes with external cleats. A finger loop on the bottom of the covers (see photo below) allows you to easily pull the cover on or remove it. Reflective elements on the top and sides of these covers help motorists see you at night.

Pearl Izumi Cyclone Toe Covers

Pearl Izumi Cyclone Toe Covers (Bottom View)

Now for the bad news: Unless you have small feet you are never going to get these covers over your shoes! Pearl Izumi only makes this product available in two sizes (S/M and L/XL). The L/XL cover will barely fit over a size 10.5 men’s road shoe. Since they only offer two sizes the chances are that whatever size you order isn’t going to fit!

In my opinion the best cycling toe cover on the market is the Planet Bike Dasher Windproof Toe Cover. The Dasher comes in five different sizes, from a man’s size 6.5 shoe (40 European) to the XXL that fits a man’s 12.5 shoe (47 European).

Pearl Izumi Cyclone Toe Covers retail for $20. This product is not currently listed on Pearl Izumi’s Website, so I imagine it is going to be out of stock out most bike shops. However, it is still available from Amazon.com and is listed as a closeout item on several other online stores.

Tags: , ,

8 responses to “Pearl Izumi Cyclone Toe Covers

1. Carrie

September 12, 2012 at 10:18 AM

Thanks for the timely post! My toes were freezing during my ride yesterday (it was about 45 degrees Fahrenheit), so I need to look into getting some warmer socks and possibly toe covers. Oh, and gloves, too. :)

2. All Seasons Cyclist

September 12, 2012 at 11:19 AM

On the right hand side of this page there is a link to my reviews for “Spring and Fall Cycling” products — I think you will find some clothing that will help you at this time of the year. Ride safely!

3. Holly J

September 13, 2012 at 8:36 AM

I was first introduced to this brand when I was an intern at a fitness mag. They make some real quality gear. Glad to see them being showcased!

September 14, 2012 at 2:31 PM

Holly — I love pearl Izumi cycling products — they also have some of the best winter cycling gear on the market.

4. Mary Topping

September 13, 2012 at 10:15 PM

I came to say thanks for visiting my site today, and found something I needed to read about! Thanks for the toe covers tips, and keep on riding.

5. Patty :)

September 14, 2012 at 12:00 AM

Thanks for liking my blog. Yours looks great!!

6. the drunken cyclist

September 14, 2012 at 7:42 AM

Thanks for the info about sizing! Just saved me a purchase!