Topeak Hexus II Multi-tool

22 Aug

Even if you never travel outside of your own neighborhood, you still need to carry a few things with you on every bike ride: a spare inner tube, a tire pump or CO2 inflator, and a small multi-tool. I have five bikes and because they each have different requirements I carry a different multi-tool for each bike. Earlier this year I started carrying a Topeak Hexus II Multi-tool on one of my mountain bikes and have had the opportunity to use this tool on several occasions.

Topeak Hexus II Bicycle Multi-tool

Topeak Hexus II Multi-tool

The Topeak Hexus II Multi-tool has 16 well designed tools (all made of hardened steel) and it fits into an easy-to-hold composite body. The Hexus II includes the following tools: Allen Wrenches (2, 2.5, 3, 4, 5, 6 and 8mm), two spoke wrenches (15 and 14g), two high quality plastic tire levers, steel wire chain hook, chain tool, T25 Torx bit, and both a Philips and flat head screwdriver. Unlike the other Topeak multi-tools I own, this one does not come with a Neoprene storage bag (not a major issue for me).

I have used all the tools on this product and have been extremely satisfied with them. The tire levers are better than you will find on most other multi-tools and the T25 Torx bit will easily adjust mechanical disc brakes. The chain tool is easy to use and even if you don’t know how to use one it you should have a chain tool with you in case your chain breaks on the trail—hopefully a more experienced cyclist will come by and be able to fix your chain (it only takes a minute or two). According to Topeak, the chain tool on the Hexus II “is compatible with all single speed and most multi-speed chains, including 10 speed hollow pin chains.” However, it is not compatible with 11 speed chains.

The only problem with Topeak tools is deciding which one to carry. If you are scared of making hardly only adjustments to your bike then I’d carry the Topeak Mini 9 Pro Multi-tool—it has all the Allen wrenches you will need for most modern road bikes (2, 2.5, 3, 4, 5, 6 mm), along with two tire levers. If you want to to be able to overhaul your bike while on the trails I’d suggest the Topeak Alien II—it has 26 tools, including eight Allen wrenches, box wrenches (two each of 8/9/10mm), a T25 Torx wrench (for disc brake rotor bolts), Phillips and flat-head screwdrivers, spoke wrenches (14/15g), two tire levers, mini pedal wrench, stainless steel knife, bottle opener, a cast Cromoly steel chain tool and a steel wire chain hook. The Topeak Hexus II falls in-between the Mini-9 and the Alien II, and is probably the best tool for most cyclists. However, if you have a mountain bike with hydraulic disc brakes I’d suggest the Topeak Mini 18+ instead since it has a handle that also functions as a pad spreader for disc brakes (I’ll review this tool in a few weeks).

The Topeak Hexus II Multi-tool retails for around $27 and is available at any well-stocked bike shop. This product comes with a 2-year warranty (see Topeak’s Website for complete details). You can find this tool for a lower price on Amazon.com, but do yourself a favor and support your local bike shop.

Tags: , , , , ,

13 responses to “Topeak Hexus II Multi-tool

1. billgncs

August 22, 2012 at 8:12 AM

I had a really nice one some years ago in my carryon bag with my helmet, and other bike stuff. The security guys at the airport confiscated it. Still ticks me off, like I was a threat with a bike tool.

August 22, 2012 at 9:17 AM

Too bad — this tool doesn’t have a knife — what did they think you were going to do — maybe attempt to change a tire while in the air?

• billgncs

August 22, 2012 at 12:21 PM

hard to say, but the old saw about absolute power rings true

2. elisariva

August 22, 2012 at 9:05 AM

Much more complete than the tool I have. And thanks for the shout out for bike shops. I agree!

August 22, 2012 at 9:17 AM

It is an excellent tool — and the LBS would be more than happy to sell you one!

3. springsyeti

August 22, 2012 at 10:33 AM

Used it in the past and the most important tool broke, the chain tool. Thankfully there was another rider, like the Crank Bros one myself. Great review.

August 22, 2012 at 4:35 PM

I hope you contacted customer support at Topeak! I have found them to be one of the few companies that actually goes out of their way to help customers.

4. pudgycyclist

August 22, 2012 at 9:01 PM

Nice post on the multi-tool. I carry both a multi-tool and chain breaker separate from each other because I figured I can use an allen key from the multi-tool to screw the pin on the chain breaker to repair my chain. Since your chain breaker is attached to your multi-tool, I assume you use a loose allen key to work it. Great to hear that all your bikes are properly equipped!

August 22, 2012 at 9:55 PM

One of the tire levers has an Allen key and you use it to work the chain tool — a pretty neat design.

5. anniebikes

August 22, 2012 at 9:30 PM

I always like to hear about well-made multi-tools. I’m carrying one with me when I go to Europe in a couple days, so it’s a timely reminder to check in the tool. Also, since I will be in Switzerland, it occurred to me to look for a Swiss Army knife/mulit-tool combo. I wonder if there is such a thing.

August 22, 2012 at 9:57 PM

Believe it or not, I found a “Swiss Army Large Mountain Bike 23-tool Knife” online for around $60. Don’t know how good it is, but I would love to try it out! Have a great trip!

6. dw64 (or Masaaki or Masa)

August 24, 2012 at 4:04 AM

Allen keys of a multi-tool I own is a little bit hard to use. I never tried the one by TOPEAK so this post is very useful, as is always with your posts. The information about TOPEAK customer service you mentioned just above is also useful because I evaluate the quality of customer service as much as the products.

August 24, 2012 at 4:36 PM

I have had VERY good luck with their customer service — sadly, I can’t say that about a lot of the companies I deal with.