Park Tool Anti-Seize Compound

25 Jul
Park Tool Anti-Seize Compound

Park Tool Anti-Seize Compound

Even if you are not a bicycle mechanic you probably have at least a few bike tools so you can make minor repairs to your bike. Regardless of how small you tool collection might be, you need to have a tube of Park Tool Anti-Seize Compound in your toolbox.

Anti-seize compounds are formulated to reduce the friction in threaded connections. If you use a good anti-seize compound when assembling your bike it will make it a lot easier to disassemble when necessary. While this product is for use on many bicycle parts, like the bottom bracket, headset cups, and quill stems I think most non-mechanics will use it for pedal threads, seatposts, water bottle cages and shoe cleats.

Park Tool Anti-Seize Compound forms a protective barrier around small parts to protect them from rust and corrosion. This product is safe for use on steel, aluminum, and Titanium.

Because I ride year-round and in all weather conditions I find myself using this product a lot. During winter rides in deep snow I replace the Crank Brothers Eggbeater pedals on my Surly Necromancer with Odyssey JCPC Pedals and the Park Tool Anti-Seize Compound makes changing the pedals a breeze. Also, in the winter I have to switch styles of water bottle cages on a couple of my bikes and if I apply the anti-seize compound on the threads of the bolts it is a lot easier to get the bolts on and off.

Another great use for this compound is on the cleats of your bike shoes. On average, I wear out two pairs of Look Keo Cleats on my road bikes every year and removing the old cleats can be a very difficult task if you don’t use an anti-seize compound when you change cleats.

While there are many good anti-seize compounds on the market, I like the Park Tool compound mainly because of the squeeze tube it comes in—it makes it extremely easy to apply to bike parts without getting your hands dirty. Is the Park Tool compound better than what you could buy in an auto parts store? Probably not, but I like Park Tool products and try to stick with brands I know.

Park Tool Anti-Seize Compound retails for around $8 for a 4-ounce tube (112g). This product can be purchased at just about any bike shop in America, and if for some reason you can’t find someone who carries it you can always buy it from Amazon.com.

Tags: , , ,

7 responses to “Park Tool Anti-Seize Compound

1. crackingfelt

July 25, 2012 at 8:14 AM

I normally use automotive anti seize, but like the squeeze tube that this comes in, might change over to this when mine finishes, probably 250 years given the size ;-) I use it on the seat posts as well.

July 25, 2012 at 11:28 AM

You are right about these compouinds lasting a long time — a 4-ounce bottle of the Park Tool compound is almost a lifetime supply for most cyclists. If you bought a tub of a similar product at the auto parts store you can take comfort in the fact that you great-grandchildren will be using what you leave behind!

2. Daniel Undem

July 25, 2012 at 12:55 PM

Never thought of using it on my cleat screws or pedals before. Thanks for the tips.

July 25, 2012 at 1:29 PM

Daniel — it’s funny — the main reason I bought this product in the first place was for my cleats (after I had spent over an hour trying the get a pair off my winter cycling shoes).

3. Cherry

July 25, 2012 at 6:17 PM

Wow! 2 pairs of cleats per year!!

July 25, 2012 at 10:52 PM

Cherry — I use Look Keo Cleats on my road bike and they just don’t last as long as MTB cleats like those from Crank Bothers.