Honey Stinger Protein Bar

29 Jun

My kind and gracious wife allowed me to take over one of her kitchen cabinets so I can store my nutritional products. The cabinet is 42″ wide and has three shelves. The top shelf is used to store two CamelBak hydration packs and over a dozen water bottles (some are insulated and others have special lids for different types of cycling). The bottom two shelves are used to store 20 to 30 boxes of the different carbohydrate products I eat while cycling (I buy my favorite products in bulk). While I use several different brands of carbohydrate products during a ride, I only keep one brand of protein bar in the cabinet for after a ride—the Honey Stinger Protein Bar.

Honey Stinger Protein Bar 10g

Honey Stinger Protein Bar

Let’s make this easy—the Honey Stinger Protein Bar is absolutely the best tasting protein bar I’ve ever tried! These bars come in two sizes (10g or 20g of protein). These bars are made with over 30% USDA certified organic honey, either 10g or 20g of high quality whey protein isolate, 22 vitamins and minerals, calcium and antioxidants.

Cyclists usually eat protein bars immediately after a ride to aid in muscle recovery. The problem is that most protein bars are simply dreadful! However, the 10g Honey Stinger Protein Bars are so delicious you will find yourself craving them. When I am running late in the morning I eat these bars for breakfast, and they are my favorite snack at the movies (I can’t watch a movie without one). One warning: the chocolate layer on the outside of these bars has a low melting point, so don’t leave them in a hot car or the chocolate will melt (it will still taste good though).

In the past year I’ve bought over a dozen boxes of these bars—all in the Dark Chocolate Cherry Almond flavor. I knew Honey Stinger made other flavors, but this one is so good I never even thought about buying any other flavor. A few weeks ago the good folks at Honey Stinger sent me samples of the other flavors for review purposes, and while I liked all of them, the Dark Chocolate Cherry Almond is in a class all by itself—it is simply awesome! You can actually see (and taste) bits of dried sour cherries in the bar.

The 10g Honey Stinger Protein Bars are available in four flavors: Dark Chocolate Cherry Almond, Dark Chocolate Coconut Almond, Dark Chocolate Mint, and Chocolate Coated Peanut Butta. The 20g bars are only available in Dark Chocolate Cherry Almond and Chocolate Coated Peanut Butta.

The ingredients for each of these bars varies slightly, so I will just give the ingredients list for the Dark Chocolate Cherry Almond: Semisweet Dark Chocolate [Evaporated Cane Juice, Chocolate Liquor, Cocoa Butter, Milk Fat, Soya Lecithin, and Vanilla]; Organic Honey; Whey Protein Isolate; Almond Butter; Dried Sour Cherries (Cherries, Apple Juice, Sunflower Oil); Almonds; Vitamins & Minerals [Dicalcium Phosphate, Magnesium Oxide, Ascorbic Acid (Vit C), Alpha-tocopherol Acetate (Vit E), Biotin, Zinc Oxide, Niacin, Ferrous Fumarate (Iron), Molybdenum Glycinate, Calcium Pantothenate, Copper, Manganese, Beta Carotene (Vit A), Selenium, Pyridoxine (B6), Riboflavin (B2), Thiamin (B1), Chromium, Cyanocobolamin (B12), Folic Acid, Potassium Iodide]; and Natural Flavor.

Honey Stinger Protein Bars are made with 25% organic ingredients. The are also made with gluten-free ingredients and contain no soy products. These bars are available at many local bike shops, REI stores, Amazon.com and from the Honey Stinger Website. The 10g Honey Stinger Protein Bars retail for $2.20 each, or in a box of 15 for under $33.

Tags: , , , , , ,

9 responses to “Honey Stinger Protein Bar

1. triathlonobsession

June 29, 2012 at 11:54 AM

I love this bar too! Unfortunately they don’t sell them by the case anymore at Costco–which was really nice.

2. Cherry

June 29, 2012 at 5:16 PM

Have you tried Clif Builder Bar? also 20g protein!

June 29, 2012 at 5:29 PM

I used Clif Builder’s Bars for several years — until I found the Honey Stinger Protein Bars. The Clif Builder’s Bars are good, but the Honey Stinger Protein Bars are incredible! Once I started using the Honey Stinger Protein Bars I never bought another Clif Builder’s Bar.

3. bikevcar

June 30, 2012 at 3:03 PM

The opening line of this post made me laugh out loud. Your wife has the patience of a saint! ;)

June 30, 2012 at 8:24 PM

My wife is awesome! We have a two-and-a-half car garage and she gave me her half to store my bikes and use the rest for a bike repair area. Since we live north of Chicago (well into the snow belt) I bought her a remote starter for her car and gladly go out to shovel the driveway before she goes to work — and when it is real bad outside I end up taking her to work.

4. L.S. Austin

June 30, 2012 at 6:51 PM

Chia milk is a great source of protein after a ride! And you can experiment with the ingredients to get different flavors. I like making a smoothie with it.

Chia is a seed, Chia Milk is a recipe using the seed. For those who don’t know :)

June 30, 2012 at 8:25 PM

I have never tried Chia milk, but I am now going to have to look for Chia seeds — thanks!

5. all4Him

July 14, 2014 at 2:06 PM

Stinger doesn’t offer the 20 gram protein bars anymore on their site. Boo!!!

July 18, 2014 at 5:37 PM

I guess they phased out the 20-gram bars, so I just buy the 10-gram bars. I imagine they sold a lot more of the 10-gram bars anyway.