Topeak AlienLux Tail Light (One Cool Light)

18 May

When I ride on busy roads at night I always attach two of the brightest tail lights I own to the back of my bike. However, bright tail lights are not necessarily needed on off-road trails—you just need a tail light bright enough to keep other cyclists from running into you. If you are looking for a good tail light with a unique design then you need to get a Topeak AlienLux Tail Light.

Topeak AlienLux Bicycle Tail Light

Topeak AlienLux Tail Light

The Topeak AlienLux Tail Light is not the brightest light on the market, but what it lacks in lumens in makes up for in coolness. This alien shaped light has two red LED’s and is powered by a pair of CR2032 batteries (included with purchase). The lamp housing is made of engineering grade plastic and is water-resistant. There are only two functional modes on this light: Constant or Blinking. Topeak claims that in the blinking mode the batteries will last for 100 hours, or for 60 hours when the light is constantly on.

This light comes with a small Velcro strap so you can attach it to a seatpost or you can easily slip it onto most seat bags. The AlienLux is only two inches tall and weighs less than an ounce. If you look at the photo above you will see that the light comes through the entire body of the AlienLux, not just through the eyes. To turn the light off or on you just press on the alien’s forehead. Did I mention how cool this light is?

The Topeak AlienLux Tail Light comes in six different colors (Red, Green, Black, Pink, White, and Yellow). The AlienLux retails for $14 and even if you never use it at night it will add a bit of class to any bike (unless you are one of those cyclists who take themselves way too seriously).

Tags: , , , , , ,

15 responses to “Topeak AlienLux Tail Light (One Cool Light)

1. bgddyjim

May 18, 2012 at 8:39 AM

Cool light, I may have to pick up one of those. Thanks

May 18, 2012 at 1:26 PM

The only problem with the light is that you have to stop and answer questions about it! For some reason everyone has to make a comment about the little Alien!

• bgddyjim

May 18, 2012 at 2:07 PM

ROTFL! :D

May 18, 2012 at 2:18 PM

It only makes sense for me to have an Alien light to protect my Topeak Alien multitool that is stored inside the Topeak Wedge bag! :)

2. Melanie's Menagerie

May 18, 2012 at 10:37 AM

Love it!

May 18, 2012 at 1:25 PM

An AlienLux light could keep the “little critters” you make company!

3. Cherry

May 20, 2012 at 5:15 PM

Haha, What a laugh out loud design!! I wonder if topeak will come out with other designs in the near future. This alien might be a bit spooky at night ;)

4. All Seasons Cyclist

May 20, 2012 at 8:34 PM

I don’t know if Topeak will ever make other designs, but they should!

5. Anna

May 20, 2012 at 10:00 PM

Oh, I’d be the envy of the local cycle community with one of those! Cool lights! Thanks for the review!

May 20, 2012 at 10:06 PM

It’s always nice to be the cool kid on the block with all the neat toys!

6. Alannah Foley

May 24, 2012 at 11:26 AM

I would say that, what it lacks in lumens, it makes up for in shock value… Any driver seeing that at night is sure to wonder “What the ****??? Looks like we’re being invaded by diminutive aliens!”, causing them to slow down & hopefully not knock you off your bike.

May 24, 2012 at 12:03 PM

This light is one of those things you can put on your bike and every cyclist who sees it has to comment on it — a great conversation starter.

• Alannah Foley

May 26, 2012 at 3:44 AM

Yeah, I bet you never know who you’ll meet or what kind of “Twilight Zone” kind of conversation it’ll start.

7. Madoqua