YardStash II Outdoor Bicycle Storage Unit

23 Mar

This past January I was looking at the snow in my yard and thinking about buying a new outdoor storage unit. A few days later I received an email from Van Barker from YardStash wanting to know if I would be willing to try one of their outdoor bicycle storage products. Before I accepted his offer I went to his Website and the product didn’t look bad, so I told him I would be glad to try it out. After using the YardStash for two months I can tell you it is a tremendous product and the photos on their Website really don’t do it justice!

YardStash II Outdoor Bicycle Storage Unit

YardStash II Outdoor Bicycle Storage Unit

Some people keep their bikes outside and try to protect them from the elements with a cheap bike cover—all it takes is one good gust of wind and the cover is “gone with the wind.” YardStash is an inexpensive bicycle storage unit made of heavy-duty UV protected polyester that should give you many years of use, and you can use the included stakes to keep it from blowing away.

You can’t tell from the photographs, but the YardStash has very strong covered zippers to keep the rain out. Speaking of rain, this product has sealed seams and a heavily reinforced rip-proof floor and the interior also has a weatherproof coating. Not a single drop of rain has gotten into the YardStash in the time I’ve had it set up, and we’ve had several major storms move through our area during that time.

Front and Rear Views Of The YardStash II

Front And Rear Views Of The YardStash II

Getting into the YardStash is easy thanks to the full zip front flap—the flap can be rolled off to the side and held in place with the attached straps. There is a small Velcro opening on the back of the unit so you can can run a security cable from a wall or fence post to wrap around your bike(s). Above the front flap is a small mesh vent to help eliminate condensation and give a bit of ventilation. Inside the unit on the back wall there are also two hooks so you can hang up a couple of helmets or other gear.

YardStash comes in small carrying bag (23″ long x 7″ high x 7″ wide) and weighs 16 pounds (it is a lot heavier than it looks in the photos). It only took me 10 minutes to set the unit up. Once assembled, the YardStash is 74” long x 30” deep x 65” high. You can easily store two adult size bikes in this unit and have a lot of room to spare. I live in a tri-level house and this unit fits perfectly under the overhang created by the upper story of the house.

YardStash II Under The Upper Floor Of A Tri-Level House

YardStash II Under The Upper Floor Of A Tri-Level House

The YardStash sells for $99.95 and is available from the YardStash Website. The product comes with a generous guarantee: “Return your YardStash II for a full refund if it does not live up to your expectations.”

Now I have to tell you he rest of the story. I have a two-car garage and half of it is used to store my bikes and bike-related equipment. I tested the YardStash so I could write this review. However, once I got done with my testing my wife immediately took control of the YardStash to keep her gardening equipment in! The folks at YardStash are selling this product mainly as a way of storing bicycles, but it is also a great place to keep sports or gardening equipment, kids toys, or patio furniture. Unlike most storage products this unit can be disassembled in just a few minutes and once back in the carrying case it takes up very little room—you could easily keep it in a closet.

Posted by on March 23, 2012 in Product Reviews

Tags: , ,

11 responses to “YardStash II Outdoor Bicycle Storage Unit

1. walktrotcycle

March 26, 2012 at 5:45 PM

Very cool! My boyfriend would probably appreciate this more than me considering this year I wintered my bicycle in our bedroom!

March 26, 2012 at 5:50 PM

Keeping a bike in the bedroom doesn’t really sound that bad to me — I hate to let my Trek Madone out of my eyesight!

• TdF

April 3, 2012 at 1:51 AM

;-))

2. obesyclist

March 27, 2012 at 10:14 AM

Seems cool but I would be worried about security… With all the stories of bike thefts (thieves going so far as to climb a balcony to steal an unsecured bicycle!), I would feel a lot better keeping my bike in my bedroom.

March 27, 2012 at 10:20 AM

There is a small opening on the back of the YardStash so you can run a chain or some other lock from your bike to a fence post or something like that. I would never leave any bike outside unsecured! If it were up to me, my Trek Madone would be stored in my bedroom instead of m garage — but my wife doesn’t really like that idea.

3. Forrest

April 13, 2012 at 10:53 AM

Interesting. It seems kind of silly, but I can see how it would be useful. I have two bikes that live indoors – one in the bedroom, and the other in the living room – but a friend has left a third bike outside my apartment. (I’d like for her to take it back, but…) I used to leave an older cross bike outdoors, and the drive train wasn’t very happy with the situation.

But, also, I’ve taken my nice road bike on camping trips to the mountains. It’s wonderful to have your favorite bike for a long, scenic ride in a place that you don’t get to visit as often as the parks in your own neighborhood. And it’s doubly nice to wake up there, after a night under the stars, rather than starting the day with a long drive. I was a little nervous about leaving my bike outside the tent (to make room for my girlfriend inside!) because, as you know, bikes get stolen. One of these bike storage tents would at least have it be less obvious that you have something potentially valuable and easy to take.

April 13, 2012 at 11:31 AM

It fit perfectly at the back of my house and my wife loves it. I think one of the selling points is the small opening at the back that allows you to run a security chain from a post into the “tent” and around your bike. It would be just as secure as the chain itself, and would also keep your bike out of the elements.

4. Therese

April 13, 2012 at 6:27 PM

what is the cost?

April 13, 2012 at 6:41 PM

$100 in the United States. I am not sure if they ship outside of the US, but you can visit their Website and contact them concerning shipping.

5. bike

May 17, 2013 at 1:46 PM

This will come in handy for the next festival I’m going to, last time some guy decided it was funny to urinate over my bike… won’t happen to my again now!

6. bicyclestorageshed