Craft PXC Storm Tights For Winter Cycling

24 Feb
Craft PXC Storm Pants For Winter Cycling and Nordic Skiing

Craft PXC Storm Tights

Staying warm on long winter rides is not all that difficult if you have the right clothing. Pearl Izumi AmFIB Cycling Tights will keep you comfortable until the drops down to zero (Fahrenheit), but below that you are going to need something else. Last year fellow blogger Joboo (The Adventures of Joboo And His Trusty Pugsley) suggested I try a pair of Craft PXC Storm Tights the next time the Siberian Express visited my area of the country, and his advice was right on the mark.

Craft PXC Storm Tights are primarily designed for Nordic skiing, but any winter cyclist or runner would benefit from them as well. These windproof tights are very breathable, and the articulated knees make them very easy to cycle in. The seams on both the front and back of these tights have reflective piping to help motorists (or snowmobiles) see you at night.

These tights have a looser fit than most cycling tights (they are really more like pants). However, this looser fit allows you to layer other clothing under the tights when needed. Since a chamois is not available on these tights you will need to wear at least a pair of your summer cycling shorts under them. The waist on these tights close with a draw cord and there is also a credit card pouch attached to the inside of the pants. I was very pleased with the generous (long) ankle zippers on these tights.

Joboo said he wore these tights in temperatures down to -50F with “no base layer and was toasty warm.” It never gets that cold in the Chicago area, so I can’t vouch for that myself, but I can tell you that they are the warmest tights I’ve ever worn, and if you do get cold you can always add a layer under them.

Craft PXC Storm Tights are available in five sizes (S, M, L, XL, XXL), and seem to be true to size, but they do stretch a bit when needed. They retail for $130, but numerous places online sell them for around $85.

Tags: , , , , ,

8 responses to “Craft PXC Storm Tights For Winter Cycling

1. anniebikes

February 24, 2012 at 9:39 AM

I like any gear that is multipurpose since I’m a cross country skier, cyclist, and hiker. Online these pants sound reasonable. Another tight I like is the Under Amour winter weight tight. I’ve used my first pair for 10 years and recently bought another ($50). They might work well under the pants you’ve described.

February 24, 2012 at 10:49 AM

The Under Armour tights fit close to the skin, so you could easily wear them under the Craft Storm Pants — but it would have to get REALLY cold before I tried it! The Craft pants are the warmest I’ve ever had for winter sports, and they are not very heavy at all.

2. kurtbredeson

February 24, 2012 at 11:12 AM

Do these pants ride up at the ankles at all?

I bought a pair of generic rain/windbreakers that I’ve been using all winter ($15-20). They were plenty warm with only cycling shorts underneath for most days down to about -15C, then I added long johns and went comfortably to -28C. The biggest problem was even with zipper and velco closed tight around high-top boots, they instantly popped off the top leaving my calf exposed after the first pedal stroke. Even when I wear them gangsta-style with the waistband way down, they always pop out from my boots. I took to wearing dorky wool socks (the ones with the red/white stripe) OVER my pants! Works for now but looks ridiculous.

Just wondered if these PXC pants stay put when you pedal.

February 24, 2012 at 4:59 PM

These pants are a bit loose, but I’ve not had them ride up on me at all, but I keep them tucked in my boots. If anything, these pants are a bit long for their waist size (which I really like).

3. Robert

March 12, 2013 at 9:44 AM

Nice review. What is the coldest temperature you have ridden these tights?

March 12, 2013 at 10:13 AM

I’ve gone down to -20F, but some people have used them in -40F weather.

4. lesley

March 3, 2015 at 10:05 PM

I’m 5’9 and was wondering how long the inseam is?