BiKASE Handy Andy Handelbar Phone Case For iPhone and Android

17 Jun

I take my Apple iPhone with me on every bike ride—and every time Apple comes out with a new model I have to buy a new case as well. I own an OtterBox Defender case for my iPhone, and while it offers a great deal of protection I never it because it is a royal pain to install and remove (when I am working I wear dress pants and the OtterBox Defender is just too bulky to keep in my front pocket). I was at the local bike shop the other day and saw an inexpensive iPhone case for cyclists and liked it enough buy one to try out.

BiKASE Handy Andy Handelbar Phone Case

BiKASE Handy Andy Handlebar Phone Case

The BiKase Handy Andy Smartphone Case will fit an Apple iPhone 5 with room to spare (as well as most other smartphones). Unlike most other phone cases for cyclists, this unit is soft which means it will absorb road bumps a lot better—hard cases usually transfer every bump and vibration directly to the phone (not good for any piece of electronic gear).

BiKASE Handy Andy Handelbar Phone Case

Mounted on the handlebars

The BiKase Handy Andy case has two large Velcro straps on the back of the case so you can attach it to your bike frame—you can put it on the top tube, stem or handlebars with ease. Most other phone cases for cyclists take a bit of effort to install, but this one takes about three seconds! This case closes with two zippers and seems to be well constructed.

BiKASE Handy Andy Handelbar Phone Case

Large Velcro straps

The biggest drawback on the case is the PVC cover. While the cover is clear, it is also very wrinkled which means that it is very difficult to see through due to the glare (just look at the first two photos). As a result, I will be returning this product to the bike shop and go back to using the JerseyBin Waterproof Cycling Pouch until I find something better (JerseyBin makes great products for protecting your phone from water damage).

The BiKase Handy Andy case retails for $20 and you should be able to get it through your local bike shop. If all else fails you can always find it on Amazon.com (but please try your local bike shop first).

Posted by on June 17, 2013 in Product Reviews

Tags: , , , , , ,

24 responses to “BiKASE Handy Andy Handelbar Phone Case For iPhone and Android

1. Charles Huss

June 17, 2013 at 6:06 AM

I like the velcro attachments but I see what you mean about the cover. I use a holder that has no cover. The phone just sets on it and you push the sides closed to hold it in place. The draw back to that is if I were to crash, the phone would probably fall out.

June 17, 2013 at 10:26 PM

At the moment I’ve gone back to putting my iPhone in my back pocket (in a JerseyBin). I have a Garmin GPS unit on the handlebar — I just need to iPhone to run the CycleMeter App.

2. Gwen

June 17, 2013 at 6:21 AM

Cool! I will check this out. I ride my bike to work in the warmer months, and this could be great to have.

June 17, 2013 at 10:27 PM

You will love how fast you can take this case off your bike when you get to work (only three seconds — I promise).

3. TdF

June 17, 2013 at 8:56 AM

“I take my Apple iPhone with me on every bike ride—and every time Apple comes out with a new model I have to buy a new case as well.” and last week with the brand new lezyne pump you got a puncture…never took in consideration a travel(by bike) to lourdes😉

June 17, 2013 at 10:29 PM

A trip to Lourdes from my part of the world would require me to put a flotation device on my bike (and I’d have to carry a LOT of carb gels with me).

4. d2

June 17, 2013 at 10:26 AM

I ride just about every day mostly on gravel or dirt trails and my iPhone takes a beating. In fact I just had to replace one. This may be just what I need!

June 17, 2013 at 10:30 PM

This case definitively absorbs shocks better than most other cases — and dirt and gravel roads can be brutal!

5. doctorlynn

June 17, 2013 at 3:42 PM

Now that’s a cool product!

6. spokengear

June 18, 2013 at 7:39 AM

I got a LifeProof case and handlebar mount a few months back and I love it! The case itself is waterproof and shockproof and it clicks into the handlebar mount with ease. I find that with the phone right there I use my tracking apps much more, and I don’t forget to turn them off when I get to where I am going. Nothing like a dead phone battery from tracking my movements all morning through the office! I heard recently that LifeProof was acquired by OtterBox, so we will see what happens.

June 18, 2013 at 3:25 PM

Thanks for the note about LifeProof — I had missed the news about the buyout.

7. Bob Rogers

June 18, 2013 at 10:07 AM

Thanks for the suggestion! I will have to look for this product. I put my BlackBerry Q10 in my back pocket and use earbuds with a built-in tiny speaker on the chord, so that I can answer the phone by clicking on the speaker button and don’t have to remove the phone. However, I worry that if I get caught in the rain, the weather might damage the phone.

June 18, 2013 at 3:26 PM

This product might be what you are looking for. New week I plan on reviewing a new set of headphones that will rock your world! Stay tuned!

• Bob Rogers

June 19, 2013 at 1:53 PM

I look forward to reading it. Thanks!

8. Sandra

June 18, 2013 at 11:03 AM

Thanks for the great suggestion. . . I also have the Otter Defender and I’ve been told it will not fit in the LifeProof Case (Although I really wanted one). I am happy to hear from spokengear above that OtterBox has acquired LifeProof. . . hopefully they will make those adjustments. . . .

9. Sheslosingit.net

June 19, 2013 at 8:46 AM

That’s something I might actually purchase.

10. Izcentric

June 27, 2013 at 11:30 PM

That would really come in handy for me, especially since It’s a real pain to stop and go every time when I need to take out my phone from my backpack and take a call. This would be a life saver for me. I must order myself one.

June 28, 2013 at 3:07 PM

It really is a time saver — plus, when the phone ring you can see if you just want to ignore the call (I usually do).

• Izcentric

June 28, 2013 at 11:40 PM

I would be very with that. Saves a lot of time rather than having to stop, open the back pack, take or ignore the call.. Too much of a hassle. But this, so happy you mentioned this on a post.