Muscle Pain? Try Biofreeze Pain Relieving Gel

12 Apr
Biofreeze Pain Relieving Gel

Biofreeze Pain Relieving Gel

Biofreeze is a topical analgesic I use to help me deal with muscle aches and occasional problems like Achilles tendinitis and plantar fasciitis. A lot of people use Biofreeze for arthritis, but since I don’t have arthritis I really can’t tell you how well it works for that.

You have probably heard of cryotherapy before (the application of cold to temporarily relieve pain). Biofreeze is applied directly to the skin and works in a similar fashion to an ice pack, except that with an ice pack your movements are severely restricted. The active ingredient in Biofreeze is menthol (which is also responsible for its pleasant smell).

You can buy Biofreeze in different forms (gel, spray, wipes) and sizes. I purchased the gel in a 32-ounce bottle with a built-in pump. A few years ago I bought an ultrasound unit to help me deal with plantar fasciitis. The physical therapist who taught me how to use the machine suggested I apply Biofreeze just before I had ultrasound therapy. This combination really seemed to work well for me. If you read the reviews for this product that people leave on Amazon.com it seems like everyone is extremely happy with this product (it has a five-star rating which is something you don’t see very often in Amazon’s product reviews).

Biofreeze is available without a prescription, but you will probably have to visit a chiropractor or physical therapist to buy it locally since it is usually not available at pharmacies or regular retail outlets. However, Amazon.com has it in a variety of sizes. Here are the best prices I’ve found: A 4-ounce tube retails for $20, but they have it for $8, while a 32-ounce bottle retails for $90, but they have it for just $41. It is also available in individual packages—a box of 36 5-gram travel packs retails for $25, but they it for about half that price.

Tags: , , , , ,

17 responses to “Muscle Pain? Try Biofreeze Pain Relieving Gel

1. christov10

April 12, 2013 at 7:13 AM

I’d be interested in a more in-depth discussion of your experience of plantar-fasciatis (have I spelled that right?). I seem to have it in one of my feet, felt at first like a stress fracture.

Cheers,

C.

April 12, 2013 at 10:30 AM

My Achilles tendinitis and plantar fasciitis were both caused by a statin drug (a cholesterol lowering drug). I plan on writing a longer article about it later, but I have a very low opinion of statin drugs — they nearly took me off my bike for good!

2. saltyvelo

April 12, 2013 at 11:42 AM

I love me some biofreeze. I’m still working through the small tube I got from my chiropractor, but I’ll definitely be buying on amazon going forward. I skip the packs, btw, and just put a little in a film container.

April 12, 2013 at 12:54 PM

You are right about the small packages — they end up being very expensive! I bought the industrial size (the one in the photo) and have been using it for three years and it still feels nearly full.

3. Fitwellmom

April 12, 2013 at 7:39 PM

This is welcome info. We move within reasonable biking distance and my husband is now riding to work. He’ll appreciate this!

April 12, 2013 at 10:43 PM

This stuff also works great on muscle pain due to yard work (honestly though, I’ve not done yard work in many years — I figured out that if I paid someone to do my yard I would have more time to ride my bike).

4. Irish Katie

April 13, 2013 at 9:13 AM

I have this!!!! I have lots of it. Or rather, lots of sample packets lol. When I go to the various biking event rides or health fairs they are always giving away free sample packets. I must have about 30 or so in my drawer lol. It is great for when you come back from a ride and put some on.

Heh….why buy when you can get them for free right?

April 13, 2013 at 4:09 PM

The physical therapist who introduced me to this product gave me several packages when I started working with her — just enough to get me hooked. Do you think Biofreeze is a “gateway drug”?

• Irish Katie

April 13, 2013 at 8:09 PM

Nods…most likely it is. Once you start taking this, who knows…Biofreeze today, DZNutz tomorrow nod nods.

5. Katsized Fitness

April 13, 2013 at 4:43 PM

I got hooked on this after trying out sample packets from the gym. Great product because sometimes you need something to relieve pain on the go. Not a substitute for ice in my opinion, but it helps until you’re able to R.I.C.E. again.

April 13, 2013 at 7:51 PM

You are certainly correct about the ice pack being better — but I think it would look a little funny wearing an ice pack into a business meeting (on the other hand it would be a great conversation starter).

6. Bike around Britain

April 14, 2013 at 2:59 PM

Thanks for the heads up on this, will definitely be buying some from Amazon as not sure ice will be that available on a long tour. Just the ticket!

7. nancymn

April 14, 2013 at 7:04 PM

Thanks for the Like on my blog. I read and enjoy your cycling blogs, even though you are way out of my league in the technical sense. You do have a very down-to-earth presentation. Oh, and I love Biofreeze!

8. Joboo

April 14, 2013 at 8:27 PM

Two big thumbs up for the wonder that is Biofreeze!!!
    Messed up my SI joint, (bone cracker talk) a few years ago; and this product was a life saver!!
    Pedal On!!
    Peace

9. danamcintyre1

April 16, 2013 at 10:59 PM

I love this stuff! I was introduced to it when it came as a sample in my goodie bag from my very first Tri. It’s incredible!

10. Sandra