Cycling Products You Might Have Missed

27 Jul

I sincerely appreciate every visitor to this blog! At this time last year I was fairly happy with number of visitors to the site, but the daily page views have grown to over twenty times higher than they were just one year ago. About half of the traffic each day comes from Google and most of the rest comes from those of you who have been kind enough to “follow” this blog through the WordPress Reader or have subscribed to the email edition. I started this blog eighteen months ago by reviewing some of my favorite products first and as a result may of you are never going to read about some of the products I love and use the most. Today I decided to make a quick note about five great products you might have missed (unless you spent a lot of time going through the archives).

JerseyBin Waterproof Cycling Pouch

JerseyBin Waterproof Cycling Pouch

JerseyBin Waterproof Cycling Pouches. These lightweight, waterproof pouches fit perfectly in your back jersey pocket. They are constructed of 10 gauge vinyl and have round corners so they will not snag your jersey. The bins close with a zip-lock style zipper. The Limited Edition Mini Bin (4″ x 5-3/4″) is perfect for an Apple iPhone because it is not only protects it from the elements, but you can still use the phone while it is in the case.

Planet Bike Superflash Turbo Tail Light

Planet Bike Superflash Turbo Tail Light

Planet Bike Superflash Tail Light. This superb tail light has two different operating modes: steady (always on) and turbo flash mode. I think the steady mode on any tail light is a waste of time—even a bright light gets “lost” except on the darkest of nights. I always run my tail lights in the blinking mode since it seems to draw a lot more attention. However, the turbo flash mode is not just an on/off mode. The turbo mode is intermittent—the powerful one-watt power main light on top flashes first, then the two LEDs in the lower part of the unit flash in an irregular pattern. If you ride at night you need this tail light!

Ergon GC3 Ergonomic Bicycle Grip

Ergon GC3 Ergonomic Bicycle Grip

Ergon GC3 Handlebar Grips. Before I got these grips sometimes after a long ride on a mountain bike my fingers would be numb and my forearms a bit sore because of stock handlebar grips. Ergon GC3 Handlebar Grips offer a 40% larger platform for your hands than standard bar grips. In addition to the larger grip platform the Ergon grips include a pair of bar ends that can be independently adjusted. The only tool you need to install these grips is a 5mm hex wrench (this grip is not suitable for carbon fiber handlebars).

Genuine Innovations Mountain Pipe CO2 Inflator

The Mountain Pipe Has A Hidden Compartment To Hold Tire Patches

Genuine Innovations Mountain Pipe CO2 Inflator. This inflator is designed for mountain bikes and will inflate a MTB tire to standard pressure using a CO2 cartridge or by manually inflating it by using the Mountain Pipe as a regular hand pump. It can store a CO2 cartridge by screwing it into the end of the handle. This pump will work with both Presta and Schrader valves (a Schrader valve adapter is inside the handle). A small storage compartment inside the handle not only holds the Schrader valve adapter, but also a few tire patches (two are included). This pump also comes with a plastic cartridge cover to keep your hands from freezing when you use the CO2 cartridge. The pump barrel and handle stay securely closed due to a magnet lock built into the pump.

Blue Steel Sports Anti-Chafe Cream

Anti-Chafe Cream

Blue Steel Sports Anti-Chafe Chamois Cream. Cyclists often experience chafing, irritation, blisters and saddle sores because of the friction created by the rubbing of their chamois against their skin. I’ve used many anti-chafe creams, but this is my favorite. What separates Blue Steel Sports Anti-Chafe Chamois Cream from their competition is that it contains Australian tea tree oil which is a natural anti-fungal and anti-septic. This cream has a very pleasant smell when first applied and it will not stain your clothing. Runners can also use this cream to prevent skin blisters. This cream lasts longer than any other anti-chafing product I’ve tried, yet it is very easy to wash off. This chamois cream is a product of South Africa and I don’t think the company has many distributors in America yet. However, you can easily purchase this cream on Amazon.com for under $12.00 a tube and I’m sure you will think it is worth every cent!

Posted by on July 27, 2012 in Product Reviews

Tags: , ,

23 responses to “Cycling Products You Might Have Missed

1. Chatter Master

July 27, 2012 at 8:08 AM

I love info that makes riding even sweeter!

July 27, 2012 at 8:07 PM

Just wait till I start reviewing the winter cycling gear again — no ride is sweeter than when the temp is around zero (F).

• Chatter Master

July 27, 2012 at 8:41 PM

Oh yeahhhhhhh…………….

2. billgncs

July 27, 2012 at 8:13 AM

same here… really enjoy this.

July 27, 2012 at 8:07 PM

Thank you so much!

• billgncs

July 27, 2012 at 8:10 PM

how funny, just crashed hard, broke my hand, road rash all over, but am using the wipes to keep clean and avoid getting the road rash wet. It is healing much faster

so your previous article is very very useful!

July 27, 2012 at 8:22 PM

billgncs — I saw the photo of your arm (road rash and all) on your blog yesterday — hope you recover quickly! I had a slow speed crash a few weeks ago when the pavement abruptly turned into sand and the tires on my bike stopped but I didn’t — fortunately, the only thing hurt was my pride.

3. Dmitry Bokov

July 27, 2012 at 8:16 AM

I like your reviews, thank you!

4. Daniel Undem

July 27, 2012 at 8:20 AM

The Jersey bins look like a nice upgrade over the ziplock bags I have been using all season. Thanks for the reviews and keep up the great work.

5. Mary Ann, Grammagoesrunning

July 27, 2012 at 9:19 AM

Hmmmmm….those Ergon handlebar clips may be just the ticket for my sciatica. Thanks, ASC!

July 27, 2012 at 8:09 PM

The Ergon grips really do help a lot — they are so much easier on your hands and forearms.

6. atomiclulu

July 27, 2012 at 10:00 AM

Love the waterproof pouches. One thing I have come to predict here in Georgia is the unpredictable weather. Having your important items protected on a ride is key 🙂

July 27, 2012 at 8:10 PM

They not only protect your phone from rain, but from sweat as well (something I imagine you are familiar with in Georgia).

7. tri-grandma-try

July 27, 2012 at 3:05 PM

Like those Jersey bins, my husband could use one for his iphone.

July 27, 2012 at 8:11 PM

The JerseyBins are my favorite pouch for my iPhone — they protect it from the elements and you can still use the phone too!

8. meganjanicke

July 27, 2012 at 4:09 PM

Hey thanks for the recap. If it wasn’t for your blog I would be grossly uniformed about all the products out there!

July 27, 2012 at 8:13 PM

Thank you so much! I’ve reviewed around 200 products so far and still have a list of over 100 items to go (but the list grows every time I visit a bike shop — which is a couple of times a week).

9. gothicheartsandbatwings

July 27, 2012 at 10:42 PM

I’m always very happy to read these insightful and informative posts. Especially what with getting back on the saddle and bicycling around after quite a long time. These nifty gadgets/products are very helpful and very useful. Not to mention a must have/need when biking around and having to constantly care for the phone and look at it in case of a missed call. I shall read on as usual and enjoy your blog posts. Thanks for having such an awesome blog around!

July 27, 2012 at 10:50 PM

Thank you so much for those kind words! Unfortunately I am an impulse buyer and I love cycling gadgets — which means I will probably die broke, but with a lot of cool toys!

• gothicheartsandbatwings

July 27, 2012 at 11:07 PM

You’re very welcome! ^,.,^ Haha, do not worry I know the feeling all to well, but am slowly trying to ween myself (trying and failing at it miserably, but succeeding slowly) away from the tempting urge. But all the cool gadgets to interesting!!