Park Tool Anti-Seize Compound

25 Jul
Park Tool Anti-Seize Compound

Park Tool Anti-Seize Compound

Even if you are not a bicycle mechanic you probably have at least a few bike tools so you can make minor repairs to your bike. Regardless of how small you tool collection might be, you need to have a tube of Park Tool Anti-Seize Compound in your toolbox.

Anti-seize compounds are formulated to reduce the friction in threaded connections. If you use a good anti-seize compound when assembling your bike it will make it a lot easier to disassemble when necessary. While this product is for use on many bicycle parts, like the bottom bracket, headset cups, and quill stems I think most non-mechanics will use it for pedal threads, seatposts, water bottle cages and shoe cleats.

Park Tool Anti-Seize Compound forms a protective barrier around small parts to protect them from rust and corrosion. This product is safe for use on steel, aluminum, and Titanium.

Because I ride year-round and in all weather conditions I find myself using this product a lot. During winter rides in deep snow I replace the Crank Brothers Eggbeater pedals on my Surly Necromancer with Odyssey JCPC Pedals and the Park Tool Anti-Seize Compound makes changing the pedals a breeze. Also, in the winter I have to switch styles of water bottle cages on a couple of my bikes and if I apply the anti-seize compound on the threads of the bolts it is a lot easier to get the bolts on and off.

Another great use for this compound is on the cleats of your bike shoes. On average, I wear out two pairs of Look Keo Cleats on my road bikes every year and removing the old cleats can be a very difficult task if you don’t use an anti-seize compound when you change cleats.

While there are many good anti-seize compounds on the market, I like the Park Tool compound mainly because of the squeeze tube it comes in—it makes it extremely easy to apply to bike parts without getting your hands dirty. Is the Park Tool compound better than what you could buy in an auto parts store? Probably not, but I like Park Tool products and try to stick with brands I know.

Park Tool Anti-Seize Compound retails for around $8 for a 4-ounce tube (112g). This product can be purchased at just about any bike shop in America, and if for some reason you can’t find someone who carries it you can always buy it from Amazon.com.

Tags: , , ,

7 responses to “Park Tool Anti-Seize Compound

1. crackingfelt

July 25, 2012 at 8:14 AM

I normally use automotive anti seize, but like the squeeze tube that this comes in, might change over to this when mine finishes, probably 250 years given the size 😉 I use it on the seat posts as well.

July 25, 2012 at 11:28 AM

You are right about these compouinds lasting a long time — a 4-ounce bottle of the Park Tool compound is almost a lifetime supply for most cyclists. If you bought a tub of a similar product at the auto parts store you can take comfort in the fact that you great-grandchildren will be using what you leave behind!

2. Daniel Undem

July 25, 2012 at 12:55 PM

Never thought of using it on my cleat screws or pedals before. Thanks for the tips.

July 25, 2012 at 1:29 PM

Daniel — it’s funny — the main reason I bought this product in the first place was for my cleats (after I had spent over an hour trying the get a pair off my winter cycling shoes).

3. Cherry

July 25, 2012 at 6:17 PM

Wow! 2 pairs of cleats per year!!

July 25, 2012 at 10:52 PM

Cherry — I use Look Keo Cleats on my road bike and they just don’t last as long as MTB cleats like those from Crank Bothers.

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Israel's Good Name

Voyages and Experiences in Israel

Mommyfriend

...finding perfection in imperfection daily.

road|THEORY

Cycling, pro cycling, and other stories

ἐκλεκτικός

Shannon E. Williams

Gather. Discover. Cultivate.

Thru Hiking and Bicycle Touring the worlds best trails

We host a series of long distance preparation rides each weekend from January - June in the Cleveland, Ohio area

Diabetes, Cancer Survivor, Cycling, Photographer, Exercise, College Parent, Twins, Boy Scout Leader, Life

Never Too Old To Explore

The HSD

What happens when a medical doctor becomes a stay-at-home, homeschooling mom

Raising Jordans

Eat. Play. Learn.

FueledByLOLZ

Running and Laughing through the Garden State

Tinkadventures

Inspiring Your Outdoor Adventures

The Bro Code

Putting The Hero Back In Action

Christov_Tenn

Always Thinking, Reading About, and Up To Something

Oregon Coast Cyclist

Adventures of a cyclist living in Lincoln City Oregon

A Promise to Dad

"You don't have anything if you don't have your health"

Triathlon Obsession

Triathlon, Sport and Healthy Living

The Chatter Blog

Living: All Day Every Day: Then Chattering About It

chasingmailboxes.wordpress.com/

ride your heart out. washington d.c.

Fit Recovery

Stay Clean Get Fit

Nancy Loderick's Blog

Musings on technology, marketing and life.

MTB blog from super happy Tokyo girl!

~マウンテンバイク初心者女子のチャリ日記~ Play hard, Ride tough, Eat a LOT then you got nothing to worry about!

aerodinamica

il blog di aerodinamica

Move and Be Well

Empowering others to find their balance of movement, nourishment, and self-care.

Dr. Maddy Day

Let's unpack your nutritional and emotional baggage.

Sip, clip, and go!

Cycling, off and on the road, in Western Mass

She's Losing It!

Fitness Book for Moms

Survival Bros by Cameron McKirdy

FREEDOM, PREPS, AND NEWS

Muddy Mommy

Adventures in Mud Racing, Marathons, & being a Mommy!

wife. mother. awesome girl.

just enough ahead of the curve to not be off the road completely

drworobec.wordpress.com/

A sport-loving chiropractor's blog about adventures in health, fitness, and parenthood.

TooTallFritz

Running Toward: Health, Wellness & PEACE ...................................................... Running From: Insanity, Screaming Children, Housework & a Big Ass

elisariva

Seizing life's joys and challenges physically, mentally, and emotionally.

arctic-cycler.com