Topeak Dual Touch Bicycle Storage Stand

07 May

It is amazing how much room a bicycle can take up in your garage or family room—and three or four bikes can take up half of a two-car garage. If you are looking for one of the most space-efficient ways to store your bikes I would strongly suggest you check out the Topeak Dual Touch Bike Storage Stand.

Topeak Dual Touch Bicycle Storage Stand

Topeak Dual Touch Bicycle Storage Stand In My Garage

Five or six years ago my bike collection started growing and I was having trouble find a place to store my bikes in a way that would keep them easily accessible. After talking with the folks at the local bike shop I settled on the Topeak Dual Touch Bike Storage Stand and it works perfectly as my main storage rack (I have a couple other storage racks as well). As you can see in the photo above, I use my Dual Touch Stand in my garage and it almost serves as a wall between my bike repair area and the rest of the garage (we have a two-car garage but half of it is used for bicycle storage and my own private bike repair shop).

Topeak Dual Touch Bike Storage Rack

Topeak Dual Touch Bicycle Stand

The Dual Touch Stand consists of two interlocking tubes with a quick release locking stepper foot at the bottom that secures the stand in place—these tubes will expand to reach a ceiling up to 10.5 feet high. This unit comes with two bike mounts that offer up to 30 degrees of adjustment to fit bikes with sloping-up top tubes (you can add two more mounts for additional bikes). This stand can hold 39 pounds per bike mount and up to 158 pounds per stand.

This stand needs a solid floor and ceiling for it to work properly—if either end flexes very much there is the possibility the unit could tilt (or even fall). If you are going to use this stand inside your house on a carpeted floor I would strongly suggest you put a 2″x2″ piece of plywood under the stand. Also, if you have a drywall ceiling the top of the pole needs to be situated directly under a stud (use an electronic stud finder if you are not certain about the location).

The Topeak Dual Touch Bike Storage Stand with two bike mounts retails for $200, but you can find it on Amazon.com for under $140. I bought mine at the local bike shop which means I paid a bit more than I would have from Amazon.com, but I like to try to support the local shop when possible.

Tags: , , ,

18 responses to “Topeak Dual Touch Bicycle Storage Stand

1. Jeff Shone

May 7, 2012 at 8:29 AM

Your garage looks great! Theres no thing more fun than kit and lots of it! 🙂

May 7, 2012 at 10:04 AM

Thank you! I spend a lot of time out there and like to keep it neat.

2. brendaintheboro

May 7, 2012 at 8:30 AM

This looks like something we could use but can I ask , do you need some sort of hoist to get the bikes at the top level?
    Thanks Brenda in the Boro UK

May 7, 2012 at 10:07 AM

I only have three bikes on my Topeak stand and they are all within easy reach (I put the lightest bike on the top rack). However, I think a short person would need a footstool to reach a bike at the top of the rack.

3. RichardB1001

May 7, 2012 at 8:38 AM

that is a great setup you have there.

4. All Seasons Cyclist

May 7, 2012 at 10:05 AM

Thanks! A couple of months ago I even put in a min-fridge at the end of one of the workbenches — my home away from home.

5. simonnurse

May 7, 2012 at 2:18 PM

Blimey. I am impressed. My garage is filled with poles, tap and hurdles for cyclo-cross races, boxes that no longer fit in the attic (which is now a space for reading and relaxing) and the surplus stuff from 20 years of cycling. I think I need to put 3 days aside and get it looking as good as yours!

A fridge is a great idea too – a friend of mine did just the same thing for exactly the same reason. I agree with you all the way about local bike stores; they’re the people we turn to when you need sound advice (I think I keep mine in business). Keep up the great reviews. 🙂

6. Cherry

May 7, 2012 at 6:10 PM

wow, that’s quite a garage you got there! i’m guessing it’s a car-free zone!!

May 7, 2012 at 6:14 PM

Cherry — It is a two-car garage (or at least it was). I park my Jeep on one side and the rest of the garage is devoted to cycling. My dear, kind, sweet wife parks her car outside (yeah, that one cost me).

7. Season Books

May 7, 2012 at 7:10 PM

Great Garage ! Only a real real enthusiast can set-up something like that. The culture here in India is to depend too much on the local cycle mechanic down the road and most cyclists doesn’t even have a basic tool-box.

By the way, if you had posted a close-up photo of the cycle stand, it would have been really useful. I wish to see the detailed mechanism.

I like your blogs and thanks for the postings.

May 7, 2012 at 11:54 PM

Greetings from halfway around the world! If you click the link in the first paragraph of the review it will take you to Topeak’s Website — they have not only a close-up of the mounts, but a short movie showing it in action. Ride safely!

8. mycentury

May 8, 2012 at 3:42 PM

That garage is bordering on “man cave” status!!!

May 8, 2012 at 4:05 PM

mycentury — Once I added the fridge, the Park Tool stool and sound system I started calling it my “Man Cave.” This cave also has high-speed WiFi and a nice heating system (it gets cold up here).

9. ElStellino

May 23, 2012 at 1:40 AM

Woah, what a garage! When I was in London there was absolutely no way to get a garage in first place and my bikes were forced to stay at the entrance (which was a very narrow corridor) bothering everybody…
    Now in Lithuania, the garage is huge but it’s not mine, as we are temporary here…
    Man, I seriously envy you! 😀

May 23, 2012 at 10:11 AM

Thanks for the note! The American economy might be in shambles, but we still have plenty of room! I don’t know what I would do without a proper garage to keep my bikes in.

• ElStellino

May 23, 2012 at 10:29 AM

You would get crazy like I do every time I have to move to a new place (シ)… I gave away the MTB because the entrance hall was narrower than the handlebars…
        And then bike parts had to share the same room with other hobbies’ parts, like computers, photography… inevitably mess. I seriously envy you (シ)

10. Izzat

September 13, 2013 at 12:27 PM

If I’m thinking of using this, would it still work if I have drop wall in the ceiling?