Lizard Skins Chainstay Protector

11 Apr

When I was rebuilding my old Trek 4300 mountain bike I removed the clear plastic chainstay protector. Ten years ago that protector was clear, but after years of riding in inclement weather it was almost yellow. Removing the old protector was not all that difficult after I warmed up it with a hair dyer. I had planned on buying another self-adhesive plastic chainstay protector, but ended up buying a black Lizard Skins Chainstay Protector instead.

Lizard Skins Chainstay Guard and Protector

Lizard Skins Chainstay Protector

Lizard Skins Chainstay Protectors are made of 2mm thick Powertex neoprene and serves two main purposes. First, it prevents scrapes, nicks, scratches and gouges on the chainstay. Second, it prevents that horrible noise created by chain slap. These protectors fasten around your chainstay in just a few seconds and are held in place with a heavy-duty strip of Velcro.

If you have a rear derailleur on your bike, especially if it is a mountain bike, you need these protectors! I was so happy with the first one I purchased that I went back to the bike shop and picked up two more for my other mountain bikes.

Lizard Skins Chainstay Protector for mountain bikes

Lizard Skins Chainstay Protector

Lizard Skins Chainstay Protectors retail for $8.00 to $10.00 each and come in five sizes (Standard, Jumbo, Super Jumbo, 29er Jumbo, and Swing Arm Protector). These protectors come in four colors (Black, Red, Blue and Green). I am also happy to report that these products are made in the USA (one more reason to like them).

Tags: , , ,

8 responses to “Lizard Skins Chainstay Protector

1. RichardB1001

April 11, 2012 at 8:22 AM

How heavy are these? Should I consider these for my road bike?

April 11, 2012 at 3:33 PM

Richard, I don;t have the exact weight, but they weight almost nothing! I am certain they weigh less than one of my summer cycling gloves. I don’t know if you need it for a road bike, unless you are getting chain slap or see the gouges on the chainstay. By the way, Lizard Skins also sells some very heavy-duty clear chainstay covers (probably better for most road bikes).

2. chris9911

April 14, 2012 at 10:16 PM

I can’t say enough positive things about this guard. I actually bought this chainstay guard when it first came out eons ago, on my GT RTS bike! It will last forever. Its on all my mountain bikes, but I can’t get myself to use it for my road bikes.

April 14, 2012 at 10:21 PM

I put these chainstay protectors on all three of my mountain bikes, but like you, I couldn’t bring myself to put them on either of my road bikes. I really haven’t had a problem with chain slap on my road bikes.

• chris9911

April 14, 2012 at 10:27 PM

yeah, I do however put a thin “weightweenie approved” guard on the road bike. Only reason for that is to protect the carbon fiber weave from whatever chainlube chemical that may affect it.

3. Mark

April 15, 2012 at 9:36 PM

This is one of those ideas that makes you ask “Why didn’t I think of that!”.

I’ve always solved this with old inner tube pieces held on with black tape. It’s not pretty but it works. This looks a heck of a lot better!

April 15, 2012 at 9:54 PM

Mark, it does look better and it is pretty easy to take off when you want to clean your bike.

The Seeds 4 Life

Seeds of Inspiration, Wisdom, and Positivity

The Shameful Sheep

shit storms, shame, and stories that make you cringe

Grow With Me, Child.

My Journey of Being a Stay-At-Home-Mom

Les Posen's Presentation Magic

It's time for a paradigm shift in how presentations are performed. One presenter's blog on how to present as if all your audience members had a brain.

Mommyfriend

...finding perfection in imperfection daily.

ragtime cyclist

cycling | pro cycling | the bits inbetween

Bike Like Crazy

whatever the weather

ἐκλεκτικός

Bicycle Touring around the world and thru hiking the worlds best hiking trail

Cycling and weightlifting, mostly

We host a series of long distance preparation rides each weekend from January - June in the Cleveland, Ohio area

Started with the C25k and now we're here!

Intentional Twenties

Diabetes, Cancer Survivor, Cycling, Photographer, Exercise, College Parent, High School Parents, Teenage girls, Twins, Boy Scout Leader, Life

Travelers. Adventurers. Storytellers.

Kite*Surf*Bike*Rambling

KITESURFING, CYCLING, SUP: ramblings, idiocy and not much more

A Sierra Fatty

A Dyslexic Journalism journal about downhill, fatbike, cyclocross, dual slalom, snowbike, adventure, bikepacking, xc, dh, enduro, ridebikeswithfriends, paddleboard, snowboard, ski, cross-country ski

PaleoHikerMD

REAL FOOD, REAL HEALTH, REAL ADVENTURE, REAL FAMILY

The HSD

What happens when a medical doctor becomes a stay-at-home, homeschooling mom

The Jordan Project

Teach. Cook. Explore.

FueledByLOLZ

Running and Laughing through the Garden State

Tinkadventures

Inspiring Climbing and Mountaineering Adventures - Ordnance Survey 2017 #GetOutside Champion

First Responders: Be A Marriage Hero

You Save Others. Now Save Yourself

Fat Girl to Ironman

My five year journey to awesomeness...

MPLS MAMA BEAR

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Christov_Tenn

Always Thinking, Reading About, and Up To Something

30,000 Miles of Experiences, Adventures and Thoughts

Thoughts, views and opinions of a northwest cyclist and adventurer

Midlife Moments

Leaning in to a Magical, Mystical and Miraculous Time

Sports Bras And Sippy Cups

This Mama Lifts More Than Just Babies!

The Right Side of 50

Stories: true, real, funny and inspiring, and getting life right!

A Promise to Dad

"You don't have anything if you don't have your health"

Triathlon Obsession

Triathlon, Sport and Healthy Living

XPLORE

Out and About

Serendipities of life

Taking the road less travelled

The Chatter Blog

Living: All Day Every Day: Then Chattering About It

chasingmailboxes.wordpress.com/

2 wheels 2 feet. washington d.c.

Fit Recovery

Stay Clean Get Fit

Chatter Gets Fit

From Couch Potato to Triathlete to Ultrarunner... My Journey

Nancy Loderick's Blog

Musings on technology, marketing and life.

MTB blog from super happy Tokyo girl!

~マウンテンバイク初心者女子のチャリ日記~ Play hard, Ride tough, Eat a LOT then you got nothing to worry about!