StemCAPtain Stem Cap Thermometer For Bicycles

08 Feb

For the past several years I’ve been looking for a small thermometer to put on my winter bikes, but I never liked the ones I saw. Last week I purchased a StemCAPtain Stem Cap Thermometer and it is one of the coolest accessories I’ve bought in a long time!

StemCAPtain Stem Cap Thermometer For Bicycles

StemCAPtain Stem Cap Thermometer

StemCAPtain is a small business based in Grand Junction, Colorado that specializes in quality bicycle accessories. Their product line centers around items that replace the stem cap on your bike with a small accessory base so you can put a clock, picture frame, compass, bottle opener, or a thermometer where the stem cap used to be.

Installation of StemCAPtain weatherproof thermometer was very simple—a trained monkey could probably install it in less than three minutes. All you have to do is remove the old 1″ or 1-1/8″ threadless headset stem cap from your bike and replace it with the provided anodized aluminum base. The base of the StemCAPtain thermometer is available in five colors: Black, Red, Blue, Green and Gold. You also have a choice of two dial colors (Black or White).

The temperature range on the thermometer goes from -15 to 135 degrees Fahrenheit (-26 to 57 C). While this is a very wide temperature range, I wish it went down a bit further—winter cyclists often ride in temperatures down to -40 F (or colder).

The StemCAPtain Stem Cap Thermometer retails for $25 and I ordered mine from the StemCAPtain Website. However, this product should also be available at any local bike shop that orders from Quality Bicycle Products (QBP). I’ve not had the opportunity to try the other StemCAPtain products—but if the quality of the thermometer is any indication you should be very happy with any of them.

Tags: , , ,

17 responses to “StemCAPtain Stem Cap Thermometer For Bicycles

1. Joboo

February 8, 2012 at 8:16 AM

What a cool product, and site!!
    Thanks for the share!!
    Although, -15 is not low enough; and a deal breaker for me.
    Maybe they’ll come out with one that goes lower, with less of a high side.

Peace

February 8, 2012 at 9:14 AM

Joboo, I think a lot of folks in Michigan and Minnesota will feel the same way you do — but it is a cool item! It looks great on my Pugsley.

2. Dan

February 8, 2012 at 8:50 AM

I’ve been using this for about a year, great product. the one issue Ive had, and it probably wouldnt affect anyone else is, I lean my bike against a tree when Im doing trail work ( pugsley with rack and tools) and if you’re not carefull the pressure from the tree will pop the thermometer out. Also, I dont know about “alot of winter riders ride down to -40”, maybe in Alaska but not down here in the lower 48

• Joboo

February 8, 2012 at 9:11 AM

Dan,
      Over the years I have a couple dozen -40 rides. That’s northern Mn. for ya. 😉
      Peace

February 8, 2012 at 9:13 AM

Dan, even here in the Chicago area -15 is not low enough (most winters). The guys in Minnesota look at -15 as a warming trend! However, your point about it popping off if you lean your bike against a tree is something I had not thought about — I am usually able to lean the saddle against a tree when needed.

• Dan

February 8, 2012 at 9:20 AM

still, the number of units they would sell for -40? probably not enough to justify the change. probably be just about right for inside boot mount 😉

• Dan

February 8, 2012 at 9:22 AM

well, when the pug is loaded with tools the front wheel tends to flop to one side or the other and leaning against the saddle doesnt work, the weight pulls it forward or back. like I said , it probably only affects me

3. hughonabike

February 8, 2012 at 1:58 PM

-40………That’s way too cold for me………..I start to cry at +40………..My Pug and I don’t do cold………Nice kit tho’……………….

February 8, 2012 at 3:43 PM

Funny — I doubt if I ever use my Pugs when the temperature is ABOVE 40 degrees!

4. James

February 9, 2012 at 6:32 AM

Here in Montreal we would need something that goes a little cooler, but love the idea!

5. All Seasons Cyclist

February 9, 2012 at 3:59 PM

Great News: I got a note from Mike Hogan at StemCAPtain and concerning the thermometer he said that they “plan to extend the lower end on the next design revision, which should be available this fall.” I can’t wait!

6. H.W.

February 22, 2012 at 10:41 PM

I was sure that I just finished decking out my Surly Long Haul Trucker with the Take Out Basket and black Brooks bar tape, but I am diffidently getting one of these.

February 22, 2012 at 10:45 PM

H.W. — You won’t regret this purchase — in addition to giving you the temperature the StemCAPtain really looks cool!

• H.W.

February 22, 2012 at 11:02 PM

Equipment coordination is my thing. I love to set up my machines(bikes) so that they look good(cool,utilitarian). So ya I agree this thermometer looks cool and functional. Thanks for the heads up. you rock!

7. swimbikeread

January 10, 2014 at 10:31 AM

Do you find the thermometer to be accurate? I just got one and it seems to read colder than the actual temperature. I swear it was around 10-15 the other day, but the thermometer read 0. Just curious to know what your experience has been. Thanks!

January 10, 2014 at 10:50 AM

In my opinion, the thermometer is fairly accurate (give or take 2 degrees). HOWEVER, all thermometers on bicycles are impacted by reflection e heat or cold. In the summer while parked in the shade the thermometer is perfect — but as soon as I get on hot blacktop it goes up 10 degrees — it is reporting the heat that is being reflected from the pavement. I think the same thing is true when riding on the snow.

• swimbikeread

January 10, 2014 at 10:56 AM

No riding ON snow for me. I’m just a year-round commuter and Spring-Fall road rider! Thanks for the feedback. I might check in with the company. They have a video about how to recalibrate the thermometer if necessary.