5,000 Miles Down With Three Months To Spare

24 Sep

My physical fitness goal for this year was to ride 5,000 miles by December 31. I am happy to report that I reached my goal yesterday, which means I still have three more months of cycling so it is possible I will pass 6,000 miles before the year is over.

Reaching the goal of 5,000 miles in 2011

The All Seasons Cyclist passed the 5,000 mile mark this week

Last December I wrote out a plan on how to reach my goal. This plan involved monthly goals, and that filtered down into weekly goals. Having a mileage goal in front of you is a great motivator. I’ve found that posting your goal on a social networking site like Facebook will make you work harder because of the feedback you get from friends along the way.

I have also found that there is a downside to setting a mileage goal for the year. Because I was focusing on mileage this year I haven’t spent nearly as much time on the off-road trails as I used to. Riding off-road is fun, but three hours on the trails will not rack up as many miles as three hours on the road. I love riding on off-road trails, especially in the fall of the year. Whatever goals I set for next year are going to have to include a way to incorporate more time on the bike trails.

Most of the time when people reach some milestone in life they like to thank those who made it possible. I give thanks to God for the good health I have experienced this year and I also want to thank my wife for not looking at the American Express bills every month (distance cycling can be a fairly expensive sport).

Posted by on September 24, 2011 in Life On Two Wheels

Tags: , , , , ,

7 responses to “5,000 Miles Down With Three Months To Spare

1. homegoo

September 24, 2011 at 11:23 AM

Great Job! I hold my breath when the credit card bill arrives that I will get to it before my wife:)

2. Chasing Fifty

September 24, 2011 at 4:10 PM

The good news is, you’ve got three months to ride the trails now!

3. Tracy Wilkins

September 24, 2011 at 8:28 PM

Good job. I haven’t looked at my mileage in a long time, but I think I’m on track to get about 5,000 miles again this year. As much time as I spend on the road already, I can’t imagine having that many by now!

Hit the trails…..

4. pathguy

September 24, 2011 at 8:55 PM

Wow, great job!!

5. lovethybike

September 25, 2011 at 4:36 AM

How exciting for you – it is great to get closer to a goal! I use to love my milage counter, but I misplaced it? Somehow I am not so bothered by not having it anymore.

6. Five Seed

October 12, 2011 at 6:16 PM

Way to go! That’s so awesome! I was so excited this year – I just found out I have driven about 2,000 miles in my car – in ONE YEAR. Jiffy Lube estimated I would drive 3,000 miles between August and November of 2010 (a pretty standard and accurate estimate in these parts), and in September 2011, I wasn’t even close to that 3,000th mile! Wahoo! My bike speedometer broke a long time ago, and I don’t mind, but it was sure amazing to find out how little I have driven this year – which means I’ve been biking a LOT!

October 12, 2011 at 10:37 PM

I bought my wife a new Kia 23 months ago and she hasn’t hit the 5,000 mile mark yet! I think that means I should be able to buy a new bike — in fact, I ordered a new Surly Black Ops Pug yesterday! It has tires that are nearly 4 inches wide and makes cycling in the snow even better than before.

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Israel's Good Name

Voyages and Experiences in Israel

Mommyfriend

...finding perfection in imperfection daily.

road|THEORY

Cycling, pro cycling, and other stories

ἐκλεκτικός

Shannon E. Williams

Gather. Discover. Cultivate.

Thru Hiking and Bicycle Touring the worlds best trails

We host a series of long distance preparation rides each weekend from January - June in the Cleveland, Ohio area

Diabetes, Cancer Survivor, Cycling, Photographer, Exercise, College Parent, Twins, Boy Scout Leader, Life

Never Too Old To Explore

The HSD

What happens when a medical doctor becomes a stay-at-home, homeschooling mom

Raising Jordans

Eat. Play. Learn.

FueledByLOLZ

Running and Laughing through the Garden State

Tinkadventures

Inspiring Your Outdoor Adventures

The Bro Code

Putting The Hero Back In Action

Christov_Tenn

Always Thinking, Reading About, and Up To Something

Oregon Coast Cyclist

Adventures of a cyclist living in Lincoln City Oregon

A Promise to Dad

"You don't have anything if you don't have your health"

Triathlon Obsession

Triathlon, Sport and Healthy Living

The Chatter Blog

Living: All Day Every Day: Then Chattering About It

chasingmailboxes.wordpress.com/

ride your heart out. washington d.c.

Fit Recovery

Stay Clean Get Fit

Nancy Loderick's Blog

Musings on technology, marketing and life.

MTB blog from super happy Tokyo girl!

~マウンテンバイク初心者女子のチャリ日記~ Play hard, Ride tough, Eat a LOT then you got nothing to worry about!

aerodinamica

il blog di aerodinamica

Move and Be Well

Empowering others to find their balance of movement, nourishment, and self-care.

Dr. Maddy Day

Let's unpack your nutritional and emotional baggage.

Sip, clip, and go!

Cycling, off and on the road, in Western Mass

She's Losing It!

Fitness Book for Moms

Survival Bros by Cameron McKirdy

FREEDOM, PREPS, AND NEWS

Muddy Mommy

Adventures in Mud Racing, Marathons, & being a Mommy!

wife. mother. awesome girl.

just enough ahead of the curve to not be off the road completely

drworobec.wordpress.com/

A sport-loving chiropractor's blog about adventures in health, fitness, and parenthood.

TooTallFritz

Running Toward: Health, Wellness & PEACE ...................................................... Running From: Insanity, Screaming Children, Housework & a Big Ass

elisariva

Seizing life's joys and challenges physically, mentally, and emotionally.

arctic-cycler.com