Skratch Labs Exercise Hydration Mix For Winter Sports

16 Feb
Skratch Labs Exercise Hydration Mix

Skratch Labs Exercise Hydration Mix

For the past couple of years I’ve used Skratch Labs Exercise Hydration Mix as my primary drink while on the bike. This drink mix was developed by Allen Lim, PhD, a sport scientist and coach for a professional cycling team. He created this product “from scratch” because he thought he could improve on the usual prepackaged hydration products that were already on the market. While I love Skratch mix when served cold, or even at room temperature, it just didn’t appeal to me when served piping hot. In fact, I don’t know of any sports drink that tastes good when served hot. However, this past fall Skratch Labs introduced their new Apples & Cinnamon flavor and this product is intended to be served hot!

Thanks to a snowy and bitterly cold winter I’ve been drinking a lot of the Apples & Cinnamon flavor Skratch mix while cycling this year. I always fill two thermos bottles with this drink mix before I go out on a ride and after several hundred miles through the snow I can say I dearly love this product! It tastes great piping hot and even when it starts to cool down. While the cinnamon flavor is more dominant than the apple, this mix is perfect for all winter athletes and I highly recommend it.

A 16-ounce serving of this drink mix has 90 calories and provides 22 grams of carbohydrates, along with 300mg of sodium and 40mg of potassium. The ingredients list is fairly simple: Cane sugar, dextrose, apples, sodium citrate, citric acid, cinnamon, magnesium lactate, calcium citrate, potassium citrate, and ascorbic acid.

You can buy this Exercise Hydration Mix in either a one-pound package or as single-serving individual packages (sticks). The best buy is the one-pound package which retails for $19.50 and will make twenty 16-ounce servings. When the temperature warms up a bit and you want a cool drink, this product also comes in several other flavors, including Lemon & Limes, Raspberries, Oranges, and Pineapple. While I like all of them, the Raspberry is my favorite—the flavor is not overpowering and it is a very crisp and refreshing drink.

Tags: , , , , ,

23 responses to “Skratch Labs Exercise Hydration Mix For Winter Sports

1. sedge808

February 16, 2014 at 9:20 PM

taste ok?

2. cj

February 16, 2014 at 11:29 PM

is the sodium high because its a sports drink? is that typical of other drinks? i have no experience with these kinds of drinks, but that sure seems high.

February 17, 2014 at 10:47 AM

The high sodium content is because this drink mix is intended for athletes. More importantly, the mix also has the perfect ratio of sodium and potassium.

3. sueslaght

February 16, 2014 at 11:31 PM

My usual question…do you know if it is available in Canada? I don’t think I have seen it.

February 17, 2014 at 10:31 AM

I just checked their website and there are dealers in Canada — most of them are out west and I didn’t see any in Ontario (not sure where you live).

• sueslaght

February 17, 2014 at 10:39 AM

We are in Calgary so that’s good news for us. I will have a look. I appreciate you checking into it.

February 17, 2014 at 10:44 AM

There are five dealers in Calgary! If you go to the company website at…

and type in “Calgary” it will give you the name and address of the dealers.

• sueslaght

February 17, 2014 at 10:51 AM

Wow one of them is down the street about 6 blocks from here! Many thanks that was so thoughtful of you.

4. Elaine @ foodbod

February 17, 2014 at 12:43 AM

I don’t think I’ve seen it in the UK either?

February 17, 2014 at 10:30 AM

I just checked their website and it does not appear as though they have any dealers outside of Canada and the United States.

5. bgddyjim

February 17, 2014 at 3:45 AM

That’s really quite brilliant – not only for during activity but for AFTER winter running or cycling. Gotta try that, thanks!

February 17, 2014 at 10:31 AM

I hope you try it out — a warm drink on a cold day helps me stay in the saddle!

6. woolerwheel

February 17, 2014 at 4:10 AM

Reblogged this on woolerwheel.

7. thehomeschoolingdoctor

February 17, 2014 at 6:17 AM

A cool sounding warm rehydration drink!

February 17, 2014 at 10:32 AM

Looks like I will be drinking a lot more of it in the next few days (Will this winter ever end?).

8. Lisa

February 17, 2014 at 8:14 AM

I like the raspberry but lately I’ve been working my way thru a big bag of pineapple. Haven’t gotten to the point of “custom mixing” my Skratch. I like the hot apples n cinnamon-a good alternative to hot cider. I’ve actually been using it pre run if it’s cold out.

February 17, 2014 at 10:33 AM

Pineapple is my second favorite flavor, but I only buy it when the bike shop is out of raspberry! Stay warm!

9. alistairuff

February 24, 2014 at 2:37 PM

Been wanting to try Skratch Labs stuff for a while, looking forward to it making it to the UK soon hopefully

February 24, 2014 at 8:47 PM

I hope their wonderful mix makes it to a bike shop near you real spoon!

10. MikeW

February 25, 2014 at 10:33 PM

Looks like the electro lytes are on!