Top Five Cycling Products Of 2013

27 Dec

This year I’ve penned over 100 product reviews and today I would like to make mention of my top five favorite cycling products of 2013. It was hard for me to narrow this list down to just five items, but I did follow a couple of guidelines. This list is for cycling products that I reviewed this year, though not all of them were introduced this year. In addition, I limited myself to one winning product per manufacturer. If you click on the links below they will take you to the complete review for the product mentioned.

BikeLoot Box For July

BikeLoot

BikeLoot is a box of five to seven cycling related products that are mailed to subscribers every month (like carb gels, bars, hydration, and maintenance products). Most of the products are just samples of products you’ve probably have never heard of before. BikeLoot has several great advantages. First, you don’t have to buy a whole box of a product and the hope that you will like it once it arrives—you can try the sample from the BikeLoot box and if you like it you can order more, and if you don’t like you haven’t wasted any money. Second, you will be sampling products that most cyclists aren’t even going to hear about for another year or so! And third, the BikeLoot box also offers substantial discount codes for some of the products in the box.

45NRTH Hüsker Dü Fat Bike Tires

45NRTH Hüsker Dü Fat Bike Tires

I’ve spent a lot of money buying tires for my Fat Bike, but the best investment I’ve ever made in a set of tires was the 45NRTH Hüsker Dü. This is the tire that ought to come standard on every Fat Bike! The Hüsker Dü tires will give you a great grip in adverse conditions while still providing less rolling resistance on pavement or packed trails. These tires have a thread count of 120 tpi (threads per inch). Higher tpi tires are usually lighter, more supple and more expensive.

Lezyne Alloy Drive High Volume Hand Pump

High Quality Aluminum Construction

Lezyne makes some of the best bicycle hand pumps in the world, but the Lezyne Alloy Drive High Volume Hand Pump is in a class all by itself. I bought this pump for my Surly Necromancer Pugsley—a Fat Bike with massive 4″ wide tires. Fat Bike tires usually run at very low pressure (10 to 15 psi on off-road trails; 5 to 7 psi on sand or snow), but they do require a high volume of air. Most bicycle hand pumps are designed to work the other way around (high pressure, low volume) and they would take forever to fill up a Fat Bike tire. A high volume pump like this one will fill your tires is 30% less time than most other pumps. The Lezyne Alloy Drive pump is made with CNC-machined aluminum construction, which makes it very durable and extremely lightweight—just 4.5 ounces (128 g) without the frame mount. This pump has a flex hose with a threaded Presta connection on one end and a threaded Schrader connection on the other.

Showers Pass CloudCover Dry Wallet For iPhone

Showers Pass CloudCover Dry Wallet For iPhone

I take my iPhone with me on every ride—in rain, snow, mud, sand or beautiful sunshine and the best case I’ve found so far is the Showers Pass CloudCover iPhone Case for the iPhone 4 or iPhone 5. One of the features I like best about the CloudCover case is that you can still use the iPhone camera without having to take the phone out of the case. I’ve experimented with this option several times and still cannot believe how well it works! As long as you are photographing in bright sunlight it is nearly impossible to tell that the phone was in the case when you took the photo.

Serfas ST-17i CO² Inflator / Mini-tool

Serfas ST-17i CO² Inflator / Mini-tool

Out of the dozens of bicycle multi-tools I own, the Serfas ST-17i CO² Inflator / Mini-tool has to be my favorite! Here is a breakdown of the seventeen tools in the Serfas ST-17i CO² Inflator / Mini-tool: Eight Allen keys (8, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2.5, 2, and 1.5mm), one 10m open wrench, four spoke wrenches (3.23, 3.3, 3.45, 3.96mm), a chain break tool with two chain retainers, two Torx drivers (T25, T30), CO² Inflator head, and both a Philips and flat head screwdriver. This tool has a full metal body and is 2.75″ long, 1.5″ wide, and .75″ tall. This products weighs an even 4.0 ounces (114g). The chain tool on the Serfas ST-17i is one of the best I’ve ever seen on a cycling multi-tool. The biggest selling point for the Serfas ST-17i is the CO² inflator head (Presta valve only) that is built into the mini-tool.

Tags: , , , , , ,

18 responses to “Top Five Cycling Products Of 2013

1. hughes1963

December 27, 2013 at 8:35 PM

Great information here. Thanks for sharing.

2. sueslaght

December 27, 2013 at 9:02 PM

So appreciate all of the information you have shared. Do you know if the Bike Loot ships outside US. I had a quick look at the web site and didn’t see the info. No worries if you don’t know.

December 30, 2013 at 10:38 PM

Sorry, but I don’t know the answer to that question — but the folks at BikeLoot answer their mail rather quickly — so drop them a note and I’m sure they reply.

3. theotherwoman97

December 27, 2013 at 10:54 PM

These are great! I especially like the dry wallet! Thanks for sharing!

December 30, 2013 at 10:38 PM

Thanks! The Showers Pass wallet has saved my phone more than once!

4. hughes1963

December 27, 2013 at 11:41 PM

Reblogged this on grayfeathersblog.

5. cyardin

December 28, 2013 at 2:36 AM

That Serfas mini tool would save me one less gadget in the saddle bag!

December 30, 2013 at 10:41 PM

Yeah, it is my favorite mutli-tool — it is well designed, lightweight, and doesn’t take up much room in the saddlebag.

6. thehomeschoolingdoctor

December 28, 2013 at 10:08 AM

That mini-tool looks really great! Happy New Year, by the way!

December 30, 2013 at 10:42 PM

It is a great multi-tool (and decently priced as well). A happy new year to you and your family!

7. ATdF

December 28, 2013 at 10:56 AM

mumble…mumble…no clif? no party! (-;

December 30, 2013 at 10:41 PM

Are you talking about Clif Bars? They are great, but Honey Stinger Waffles are even better!

8. Bici Love

December 29, 2013 at 12:00 PM

Great, I have seen beauty boxes, food boxes, pet boxes monthly but have not heard of a bikeloot box. I wonder if they have things for the slow sit up style bicyclist. I just love all the bicycle accessories out there.

December 30, 2013 at 10:44 PM

Not every product is going to work for every cyclist, but BikeLoot does seem to have a good variety of products in every box. There have been some products I had no use for, but the other products in the box always made the package worth while.

9. jeffjacobsen

December 30, 2013 at 6:12 PM

Wishing a Happy New Year filled with great rides. Thanks for all the important information.