A New Surly Pugsley Lands In Lviv, Ukraine

28 Jul

A few weeks ago I mentioned that William Salefski, an American citizen working in Ukraine, saw the article about the Surly Necromancer Pugsley that Zion Cyclery custom-built for me and he decided to wanted one tricked out the same way. He visited Zion, Illinois in early July to pick up his bike and then shipped it to Lviv, Ukraine. Last week he sent me a note to let me know that his bike made it safely to Ukaine and I asked his permission to share a few photos with you.

William Salefski in front of The Lviv Opera House (lviv, Ukraine)

William Salefski in front of The Lviv Opera House (lviv, Ukraine)

Look at the smile on his face! I’ve seen a lot of cyclists with their new bikes—some people have a grin, triathletes usually have a look of pain, but a new owner of Fat Bike always has an ear-to-ear smile on their face!

A Beautiful New Surly Pugs

A Beautiful New Surly Pugs

In his note to me Willaim said, “The roads in Lviv are mostly made of cobbles, and the Pug eats them up. Half a bar tire pressure. There is also some road repairs being done, and the Pug rolls right over the sand. The winter snow will not be a problem.” (By the way, half a bar of tire pressure is equal to about 7.5 psi)

The Cobblestones In Lviv, Ukraine

The Cobblestones In Lviv, Ukraine

Look at those cobblestones! These beautiful cobblestone roads survived both Soviet and Nazi occupation during WWII and they remind of roads in the Paris-Roubaix race (my second favorite bike race in France).

Another Happy Fat Bike Owner!

Another Happy Fat Bike Owner!

In William’s second note to me he said, “Well, the smile from the first ride was the sheer fun of riding a bike that is unlike any bike I’ve ridden before. Having ridden bikes with 30+ pounds of pressure, the Pug feels like riding on a cloud. Over here, it’s even more pleasant since the big tires just eat up the cobbles in the city center. I can ride the Pug faster than my normal commute bike, a Swobo Dixon with Marathon Plus tires, on the cobbled streets. I like it better than my full-suspension MTB on the cobbles. However, ‘nimble’ is not the word to describe its handling. But I really enjoy the different handling. It reminds me of my FJ40: not the fastest or most agile means of transport, but it will roll over anything. I can’t wait to get some snow on the ground to try it out.”

Tags: , , , , ,

16 responses to “A New Surly Pugsley Lands In Lviv, Ukraine

1. philkratz

July 28, 2013 at 1:51 PM

Very cool I would love to have one of those bikes! Have fun!

July 28, 2013 at 3:35 PM

Fat Bikes will give you more fun smiles per mile than any other type of bike!

2. Luther Pratt

July 28, 2013 at 1:57 PM

Great article! Enjoyed reading it. Awesome bike.

Sent from my iPhone

July 28, 2013 at 3:35 PM

Thank you! And you really need to get one of these bikes for yourself!

3. taplatt

July 28, 2013 at 2:37 PM

L’viv is certainly filled with those gorgeous, cobblestoned streets especially around the central square. Glad to see another post on Ukraine.

July 28, 2013 at 3:36 PM

I’d love to take my bikes to Lviv just to ride over the cobblestones!

4. Jason Pearlman

July 28, 2013 at 10:55 PM

That bike looks like too much fun to ride (though you’re never really having fun on cobblestones unless you’re hammering them on an old Italian steel frame!)

July 28, 2013 at 11:10 PM

The Pugs does have a steel frame so you get the “steel feel” along with balloon tires! This bike the Humvee of bicycles!

5. Joboo

July 29, 2013 at 12:06 AM

Ahhh the FatBike smile!!
    7 years and I haven’t lost mine yet!!
    Best bike investment I’ve ever made!! Sold my two road bikes, and the FS MTB has been hanging in the garage ever since!! :)
    Yes it’s heavy, and steel, but to handle the stuff no other bike would, with ease; the FatBike’s the ticket!!
    I’ve always looked at as such…. Whatever doesn’t kill you makes you stronger…… And pedaling a FatBike (whatever flavor) makes one stronger in spades!!!
    Good of you William!!
    Many happy smile filled miles to come for you Sir!!
    Enjoy!!
    Pedal On!!
    Peace

6. MikeW

July 29, 2013 at 12:25 AM

Again, the power of images, used so well along with your reviews. Sound, strong stuff. Cheers to more successes!

July 29, 2013 at 10:02 AM

Thank you! William supplied the photos and it is really easy to write about a Pugsley (my favorite bike on earth).

7. isaac976

July 29, 2013 at 11:26 PM

wow you guys got me googling for surly’s now. I can’t afford another bike for now.. Argh..

July 29, 2013 at 11:27 PM

You don’t really need to eat do you? Look on Craig’s List and see of someone has one for sale in your area (used ones don’t stay on the list for very long).

8. timfromwales

July 30, 2013 at 1:15 AM

If only I had the space…. I must get one of these.

July 30, 2013 at 8:46 AM

You could always get rid of the kitchen table — a new Pugs in the kitchen would really brighten up the room!