Penguin Brands Sport-Wash

06 May
Penguin Brands Sport-Wash for cycling clothing

Penguin Brands Sport-Wash

It doesn’t take a long bike ride to leave your clothes smelling like a locker room. The moisture wicking fabrics used in cycling clothing does a great job at moving moisture away from the body, but they can’t move odor-causing bacteria out with it. The bacteria left on your clothing reproduces incredibly fast and the odor it creates is not easily removed by normal laundry detergents. If you really want to keep your cycling clothing from stinking you need to wash it in Sports-Wash by Penguin Brands, Inc.

Sports-Wash is an unscented, biodegradable laundry detergent that reduces odors and prevents color fading. It is also residue-free and non-allergenic. In addition, it restores the factory-applied Durable Water Repellent (DRW) finish to clothing.

Sports-Wash is also notable for what it does not contain. It contains no bleach, fabric softeners, or scent. I have noticed a slight smell as the clothing is being washed, but it rinses right out and leaves no residue.

Penguin Brands, Inc. claims that Sports-Wash will remove blood and grass stains. Fortunately, I have not had the opportunity to test this claim, so I will have to take their word for it.

My dear wife is kind enough to hand-wash all of my cycling clothing (yes, I am a lucky man). She uses one capful of Sports-Wash per sink full of dirty clothing. Sports-Wash retails for $18 for a 42-ounce bottle. I buy Sports-Wash at a local Dick’s Sporting Goods store, but it is also available on Amazon.com. Sports-Wash is more expensive than normal laundry detergent, but your expensive cycling clothing will last a lot longer if you wash it in a quality product like this.

Tags: , , , , ,

39 responses to “Penguin Brands Sport-Wash

1. Gwen

May 6, 2013 at 5:37 AM

We have no cyclists here, but I have a gymnast and a soccer player who produce some pretty rank-smelling athletic clothes. Leotards are usually north of $50 a piece. Thanks for the the great tip!

May 6, 2013 at 10:50 AM

Please let me know what you think of this product once you’ve had a chance to use it. I hope you like it!

• Gwen

May 6, 2013 at 2:11 PM

I’ll do that.

• Andrew

November 14, 2013 at 4:02 PM

Hi There, I am Andy from the UK, sales & marketing manager of Paragon PE Ltd the company behind Halo Proactive Sportswash. As Adam mentions below, it is ‘cheap as chips’ compared to Penguin and I would say more effective. I wondered if you would like to try some and maybe blog about it as we have said for a long time you guys in the US would love this product. If you are interested then please drop me an email. Thanks`

• imarunner2012

November 15, 2013 at 12:02 PM

Andy,
          I’m Andy here in the US and I’d like to try this out. Send a not to this email address and I can give you my home address: andy@medalframz.com

2. lee

May 6, 2013 at 5:57 AM

I discovered Suave Men’s Body Wash works great during a camping and biking trip a few years ago, and have been using it ever since. It probably does nothing for the DRW finish, and maybe even strips it out, but I don’t recall it ever being listed on the tags of any of my bike jerseys or shorts. $1.88 for a 12-oz bottle at Walmart. (Pssst! Mrs. All Seasons Cyclist, if you have a front loading washer, toss his stinky bike clothes in by themselves on the wool setting. It’s kinder to the fabric and your hands.)

May 6, 2013 at 10:52 AM

I will pass the note on to Mrs. All Seasons — I have no idea what type of washing machine we have at the house (a new one showed up on my American Express card a few years ago — and from the price I paid it must have been a good one).

3. Jean

May 6, 2013 at 6:06 AM

Presumably you handwash dishes or clean the bathroom in return!

I think in general, handwashing clothing makes any clothing last longer –as long as one doesn’t subject it to bleaches.

Advice from someone who used to sew 80% of my clothing before cycling passion bit me.

May 6, 2013 at 10:54 AM

Jean, I am still laughing from your comment about me doing dishes or cleaning the bathroom! Wait, were you serious? I don’t think I could ever meet my wife’s high standards when it comes to cleaning around the house (too bad she wasn’t that picky when she was looking for a husband).

4. Jessi Mouqué

May 6, 2013 at 6:12 AM

Thanks, I’ve been looking for something like this!

May 6, 2013 at 10:55 AM

In the words of an old TV commercial, “Try it — you’ll like it.”

5. Richard

May 6, 2013 at 10:28 AM

I have been using Tide plus Febreze Sport liquid laundry detergent for a few years now with pretty good results. (http://www.tide.com/en-US/product/tide-plus-febreze-freshness-sport.jspx) It claims to be good on grass, dirt clay, and blood like the Penguin Sports Wash, but it is something I can find locally at any of the many Walmart stores in my area. It costs approx $12.00 plus tax for the 100 oz bottle, which claims to give 60 uses.

It is claimed this is specifically designed to be used with synthetic athletic clothing.

I do not know if it is supposed to be as “green” or “free” as the Penguin product, but what I do know of product performance is that it does a great job of getting rid of funk in synthetic athletic wear (my running and cycle clothing, daughter’s P.E. clothing), is gentle enough that I have never had any skin irritation (I have very sensitive skin and cannot use regular Tide), and even works well cleaning my Terramar merino wool baselayers. There is a gentle scent, but it is in no way bothersome (and I am sensitive to heavy scent and perfume as well). The fabrics have retained their color and body, with little to no degradation from washing.

Oh, and I utilize the “handwash” cycle of my washing machine with this. I have not used it to actually handwash any clothing. My washing machine does a great job not tearing up my cycle and running clothing, so I don’t need to spend the time handwashing.

May 6, 2013 at 10:56 AM

My biggest concern with any cleaning product is keeping the Durable Water Repellent (DRW) finish in good order.

6. Steve

May 6, 2013 at 1:02 PM

Have been using Penguin Sport Wash for a couple years and really like the results. Using the hand wash cycle with cold water in a front loader. Then run a “drain and spin” cycle and hang to dry. Penguin Sport Wash is made by Atsko and you may find it at a lower price under the Atsko brand.

7. billgncs

May 6, 2013 at 2:05 PM

I usually wash the stuff as soon as I get home running a load of just the cycling stuff. Otherwise… phew…..

May 12, 2013 at 10:04 PM

My dear wife gets to my cycling clothing rather quickly — she doesn’t like my kit stinking up the house!

• billgncs

May 12, 2013 at 10:13 PM

they do really ripen quickly!

8. Adam

May 7, 2013 at 2:28 AM

I’m big fan of specific sport wash liquids. I use “Halo Proactive Sports Wash” which is “cheap as a chips” in UK ;-), and now I got small bottle with me even when camping. Cheers

May 12, 2013 at 10:05 PM

I’ve never heard of the “Halo Proactive Sports Wash”, but the price sounds great!

9. Melissa

May 7, 2013 at 9:02 AM

Until recently, I have been using Tide Plus Febreze Sport liquid detergent. I was reasonably happy with it and may use it again. It does have the advantage of being sold in my neighborhood supermarket. It did noticeably better than regular detergent at getting the funk out of tech fabrics. Unlike Richard, I somewhat disliked the scent (but found it preferable to “funk”). I just ordered a bottle of Win Sports Detergent from Amazon. I’ve only done one load of laundry with it, so the jury is still out. So far, I detect less scent than the Tide product (both funk and perfume), but I’m not sure if that makes it worth the hassle of ordering. I live near a Dick’s Sporting Goods store, so I may try the Penguin wash next.

May 12, 2013 at 10:07 PM

Once you have tried the Penguin brand Sports Wash please leave a comment here and let me know how it compares to the other brands you’ve tried. I am always on the lookout for new products.

10. timscyclingblog

May 7, 2013 at 4:02 PM

Wash your clothing with baby vomit, poo and wee covered clothes, hides the sweat smell for me.

11. zawest20122013

May 7, 2013 at 11:25 PM

One place you always seem to leave out for being able to purchase such items as the one you’re talking about here is REI Sporting Outdoor/Sporting Goods Store. It runs about the same price you quoted for said locations. And for the other ideas that’s just plain stupidity. That’s just wanting to get sick right there.

May 8, 2013 at 12:20 PM

I don’t mention REI too much because their closest store is nearly 2 hours away from my house, but all the other major stores are only a few minutes away. I am a member at REI, but I just don’t get there very often.

• zawest20122013

May 9, 2013 at 12:10 AM

Just because it’s not close to you doesn’t mean leave it or of mention. Because they at times have better process than Amazon. And there are individuals that live very close to an REI, and knowing that REI carries such an item. Gives me more reason to go there and start planning of my trip supplies.

• Recumbent Zach

July 20, 2013 at 5:30 PM

It’s a good idea to mention any major stores REI for an example.

12. JennyO

May 8, 2013 at 1:29 AM

Really great ideas to keep our gym gear in proper health, hubster has fallen for the moistur whicking line & the price of it would be worth the price of this to keep them in top notch shape!

May 12, 2013 at 10:10 PM

Careful washing of expensive cycling gear will make it last a lot longer and end up saving you a lot of money (which is probably why my wife keeps my kit in good shape!).

13. st sahm

May 8, 2013 at 10:15 AM

You ARE a lucky and clean smelling man!

I might check this out as some mysterious kid stains need a stronger detergent…

14. amedicstudent

May 9, 2013 at 2:05 PM

I never knew they had detergents specifically for sportswear – I get the same thing with running attire, particularly with close-fitting tops. I have just had a quick search on amazon and they sell it in the UK too so will be trying this out. Thanks for the tip!

15. zawest20122013

May 9, 2013 at 8:48 PM

I just tried it out myself, will be using it from now on.

16. isaac976

May 9, 2013 at 10:57 PM

OMG !! wonderful wife you got there.. all my jerseys and tops are just thrown into the machine and washed.. of course it loses it shape and all but it gives me a reason to buy new gears.. LOL .. Awesome review once again.

May 12, 2013 at 10:11 PM

Thanks for the comments about my review. And yes, my wife is wonderful (and I tell her that all the time).

17. Cherry

May 12, 2013 at 10:03 AM

oh yes, the joys of handwashing all our precious cycling gears

May 12, 2013 at 10:13 PM

I am not sure that my wife considers it a “joy”, but she likes to keep me happy!