Premium Slim Alloy BMX Pedals

11 Feb

A few months ago I put a pair of Rolling Darryl rims on my Surly Necromancer Pugsley and red (burgundy) Surly PVC RIm Strip that you can see through the cutouts. To add a little more color to the rims I installed red anodized spoke nipples. I thought I was done upgrading the bike—and I was until I saw a pair of Premium Slim Alloy BMX Pedals.

Premium Slim Alloy BMX Pedals

Premium Slim Alloy BMX Pedals

During most of the year I ride with Crank Brothers Eggbeater Mountain Bike Pedals, but once the snow and ice starts falling I switch over to wide flat pedals. Back in November I put a pair of 45NRTH Heiruspecs Winter Grip Pedals on my Pugsley—they have a great grip, but a really thin finish (it started chipping off after just a few rides). Since I am in the local bike shop several times a week anyway, I asked them to help me find a pair of wide flat pedals with a more durable finish and they suggested the Premium Slim Pedals.

Premium Slim Alloy BMX Pedals

Premium Slim Alloy BMX Pedals

Premium Slim Pedals are made from extruded and CNC machined aluminum (6061 alloy) and have a CNC machined chromoly spindle for added strength (with sealed bearings). There are sixteen removable and replaceable metal pins per pedal (eight per side) for a great grip. The pedal body varies in thickness from 14mm to 17mm. These pedals weight 8.3 ounces (236g) each, which is two ounces per pedal heavier than the 45NRTH Heiruspecs. In all honesty, the main reason I bought these pedals was the beautiful red anodized finish. These pedals perfectly match several other red anodized items I’ve recently added to my bike (spoke nipples, rim tape, water bottle cages, and seat clamp).

Premium Slim Alloy BMX Pedals

Premium Slim Alloy BMX Pedals

Premium Slim Pedals are available in five colors (Black, Silver, Red, Teal, and Purple) and retail for around $100 a pair. These pedals are sold at bike shops all over the United States and you can use Premium’s dealer locator to find an authorized dealer in your area.

Premium Slim Alloy BMX Pedals

Premium Slim Alloy BMX Pedals

Premium has a fairly simple warranty on their bike products, they are “100% guaranteed against manufacturer’s defects for life to the original owner.” However, the rest of their warranty says, “If you buy a Premium product and it breaks, bends, or dents because you were jumping it off roofs, trying to learn tailwhips, or sliding down a rail, you’re out of luck. If you break a used Premium product your friend gave you and you can’t prove you bought it with a copy of the original bill of sale, you’re out of luck.”

Tags: , , , , ,

11 responses to “Premium Slim Alloy BMX Pedals

1. the drunken cyclist

February 11, 2013 at 7:42 AM

A bit harsh with the wording on the warranty. I also always wondered why or how a manufacturer would void the warranty if the product changed hands–either you stand behind your product or not (and why should it matter if you still have the original receipt? It is either your product or it isn’t). Rant over.

February 11, 2013 at 9:51 AM

I really don’t mind the warranty at all — it’s a warranty against defects, not abuse. As for requiring the receipt — it is a matter of limiting liability against company assets in the event of future sale of the company (without a clause like this the company would be worth a lot less if they ever decided to sell out to a larger company).

• the drunken cyclist

February 11, 2013 at 11:31 AM

I certainly understand all of that, and perhaps it is semantics, but for me it is a message to the consumer that they only care about them under certain conditions….

2. Shonnie

February 11, 2013 at 10:15 AM

Cool and attractive … love that combination.

February 12, 2013 at 5:33 PM

Well, thank you very much. Oh, wait! You were talking about ME weren’t you? I am so embarrassed! OK. Yeah, the pedals look pretty good too.

• Shonnie

February 15, 2013 at 7:36 AM

hahaha …. you made me smile. :D

3. Jason Pearlman

February 11, 2013 at 10:25 PM

As much as I always try to keep my bikes as black/grey/white as possible, I can always appreciate a well color-detailed bike.

February 12, 2013 at 5:35 PM

Last year this bike was TOTALLY black — right down to every single screw in every braze-on (all 22 of them). However, a LITTLE bit of red really makes the bike “pop”.

4. Cherry

February 15, 2013 at 9:40 PM

Is the main difference between winter pedals & normal pedals for summer is their grip?

February 15, 2013 at 9:44 PM

Yes! You need a wide platform that not only sheds snow but has pins to grip your boots (of course, in a crash those pins will shred your legs pretty bad).