Looking At My Road ID In The Back Of An Ambulance

26 Nov

Like everyone says, “I never thought it would happen to me!” Two weeks ago I left home for a quick 50 mile bike ride and an hour later I was sitting in the back of an ambulance. I had ridden through the back roads of southeast Wisconsin and cut through a small, quiet neighborhood to avoid riding on a major highway. Less than a block into the neighborhood and guy in a large Ford work truck cut a corner too wide and we nearly had a head-on collision—I headed off into the gravel to avoid the grill of his truck. I yelled at the guy (hereafter known as The Jerk) and he slammed on his brakes, got out of his truck and started yelling at me. The Jerk told me that cyclists have no right to be on the road and that he was sick of them “ruining his neighborhood.” The Jerk was a lot bigger than me and had a face that resembled an armpit. As he was yelling I stood straddling my bike and out of nowhere The Jerk hit me in the chest with both fists—I was knocked off my bike with great force and hit the pavement hard, then rolled back into a side ditch. Even though I was a bit dazed I remember The Jerk yelling, “If I ever see you back in this neighborhood I am going to kill you!”

Road ID Dog Tags

Road ID Stainless Steel Dog Tags

Fortunately, a woman in the neighborhood saw what happened and called the police and an ambulance—the double punch to the chest knocked the air out of my lungs and I has having trouble breathing. A few minutes later an ambulance showed up along with a couple of great paramedics. While I really didn’t think I needed an ambulance, the paramedics insisted that I get “checked out” anyway. As they were checking my breathing the ambulance driver opened the door and told them to lock it because The Jerk was back. The punches to my chest and the impact of the fall triggered my first asthma attack in over ten years and as the paramedics were asking questions about my health I had trouble answering. It was at that point I was so happy I was wearing my Road ID dog tags. If needed, these tags could give all the needed medical information to the paramedics.

Road ID makes high quality stainless steel identification cards—depending on the style you choose, they can be worn on your wrist, ankle, shoe or around your neck. The information on the cards is laser engraved and this provides a very crisp and easy to read tag. I’ve worn Road ID products for a long time and would never go out for a bike ride without them. At first I used the ID that attaches to your cycling shoes, but about five years ago I switched to the dog tag version. Regardless of which tag your choose, it can be engraved with your basic emergency contact information.

Road ID tags start at around $20, and for only $10 a year you can add emergency response support, i.e., your tag will give paramedics and emergency room personnel a secure Website so they can get access to detailed medical information and emergency contact information for you (for when you cannot give the info yourself). The secure Website gives them as much information as you allow, but I have my health insurance information, allergies, name and address of my family doctor and a list of the medications I take on file.

In case you were wondering about what happened to The Jerk, I will finish the story. When I exited the ambulance I saw two police cars and The Jerk was sitting in the backseat of one of them (in handcuffs). Apparently, he admitted to the police that he hit me and when the cops ran his name they found out he was wanted on an outstanding warrant, so they cuffed him and were going to take him to jail—he could not get bailed out until he appeared before the judge who had issued the warrant.

The cops asked if I wanted to press charges. I would have said yes, but as I was talking to one of the cops The Jerk’s wife arrived (the police called her to take custody of his truck). Believe it or not, I had spoken to this woman back in March when she was teaching her little boy how to ride a bike! Even though she was crying because her husband was being taken away to jail for the outstanding warrant she came over to apologize for his actions.

I told the cops that I did not want to press charges against The Jerk. My reasoning was this: If the idiot had no problem hitting me then I’m sure he wouldn’t have any trouble hitting his wife as well. Since I didn’t want to make her life any more miserable than it probably already was, I decided not to press charges because I thought he would take his anger out on her when he got home. The woman thanked me and then said they had a fight just before he left the house that morning—which explained why he was in such a bad mood to begin with!

One more note: I have not told my wife about this incident yet and I am trying to think of the best time to do it. At the moment it seems like the day after she drops me off at the nursing home would be a good time.

Posted by on November 26, 2012 in Bicycle Safety, Product Reviews

Tags: , , , , ,

149 responses to “Looking At My Road ID In The Back Of An Ambulance

1. PopsicleWalrus

November 26, 2012 at 8:07 AM

These people will never learn until the law starts throwing the book at them. We need vulnerable user laws now.

• PopsicleWalrus

November 26, 2012 at 8:08 AM

Glad you’re OK!

• LaurRanFar

November 26, 2012 at 10:39 AM

I am so sorry that happened to you! Thank goodness you are okay and that someone was there to witness.

2. tri-grandma-try

November 26, 2012 at 8:17 AM

Yikes!! Glad you are ok! Scary, You should tell your wife…as a wife I would want to know. Stay safe!!

November 26, 2012 at 10:29 AM

Yeah, I know I need to tell her, but I just don’t want her to worry when I am out on the road.

3. RayDvD

November 26, 2012 at 8:28 AM

Take care mate and be safe

4. dimmodd

November 26, 2012 at 8:29 AM

Get well soon!

5. bikeworldusa

November 26, 2012 at 8:43 AM

Reblogged this on bikeworldusa.

6. Running Gaynor

November 26, 2012 at 8:58 AM

That sounds awful. I hope you’re feeling better now.

November 26, 2012 at 10:31 AM

I feel great! I was a little sore the following morning from hitting the pavement, all things considered I feel very lucky.

7. thejourneynotthefinish

November 26, 2012 at 9:04 AM

Glad you are ok!!

8. baileyaj

November 26, 2012 at 9:17 AM

What a scary experience. I am glad you came out of it okay.

November 26, 2012 at 10:32 AM

I am just trying to figure out how the “No Pain, No Gain” fits in here.

9. Shane

November 26, 2012 at 9:17 AM

Wow the nerve of some people! Glad you are ok. Hopefully for his wife he didn’t take out the stress of the day on her afterwards.

November 26, 2012 at 10:33 AM

That was my big concern — the way she apologized to me for his actions just made me fell like she had been a victim of his brutality before.

10. Sarah C

November 26, 2012 at 9:18 AM

SCARY … what’s wrong with people? At least you’re safe now!

11. Larissa

November 26, 2012 at 9:19 AM

Wow, that’s terrifying! So glad you weren’t seriously injured. Having done some reporting work on domestic abuse, I doubt your suspicions are far off. I probably wouldn’t have pressed charges for the same reason.

Again, glad you’re safe!

November 26, 2012 at 10:36 AM

Some people are hard to read — this guy was pretty much an open book — and it did not look like a good book to read.

12. Dani Cee

November 26, 2012 at 9:24 AM

OMG! Quite a interesting day for you – glad you are ok!!!

November 26, 2012 at 10:36 AM

It was interesting — I had never been in an ambulance before!

13. hughonabike

November 26, 2012 at 9:47 AM

I had an altercation with a jerk some years ago. Threatened to shoot me in the face. Like you I didn’t press charges. I punched his lights out instead. I believe he’s now banged up.for murder. I suppose I was lucky. Glad your OK.

November 26, 2012 at 10:38 AM

Your way sounds like a much quicker way to solve the problem. Unfortunately, I didn’t even think about hitting or getting hit — I am used to dealing with reasonable people on a daily basis — he was certainly out of the ordinary.

14. draconianstylist

November 26, 2012 at 10:12 AM

Timing on your post is coincidental I had just begun to think about these tags. Glad your OK and sorry for the scare.

November 26, 2012 at 10:39 AM

I would never go on a bike ride without my Road ID tags — I think they are extremely important since that is the only ID I carry with me.

15. wildjuggling

November 26, 2012 at 10:18 AM

What a story. I am glad you’re okay. It would be great if the Law could straighten out the Jerk, but I am doubtful. I feel bad for his wife.

November 26, 2012 at 10:39 AM

I feel bad for his wife too — she has to live with that guy every day.

16. Barbara

November 26, 2012 at 10:27 AM

Good post about the usefulness of the tags & glad you are ok. I would tell your wife, she is right to be worried if there are idiots like that roaming the streets! And I would press charges. If you thought that the ‘jerk’ might go home & beat up his wife then he should be put away. If he his her as hard as he hit you would she be ok? Who would call her a doctor?

November 26, 2012 at 10:45 AM

Barbara, the sad thing is that in Wisconsin (where the incident happened) he would have only been arrested for “disturbing the peace,” which is a misdemeanor (a $200 fine to the city). I have dealt with victims of abuse before and the law doesn’t do much to protect them. Not only that, but financial stress often triggers the violence to begin with. In my mind I could just see him blaming her for a lost days work and the $200 fine. However, he did spend the night in jail anyway for the outstanding warrant — maybe that gave him time to cool down a bit.

• Barbara

November 26, 2012 at 12:04 PM

I understand. The police are a lot hotter (FINALLY) on domestic violence over here, but it still depends on where you live and on who the arresting officer is.

17. alexscycle

November 26, 2012 at 11:45 AM

It’s so annoying when drivers don’t accept responsibility, we all have a right to use the road. Glad you’re okay

November 26, 2012 at 4:02 PM

According to The Jerk, I didn’t have the right to even be in his neighborhood! :)

18. Amy Ellis

November 26, 2012 at 11:47 AM

You are a good person.

November 26, 2012 at 4:03 PM

That was very kind of you! The truth is that my wife turned me into a civilized human being.

19. Chatter Master

November 26, 2012 at 11:58 AM

I’m glad you are okay. I’m positively charged when reading about people like you. And I wonder how The Jerk would react if in that exact same scenario the person on the bike was his child.

November 26, 2012 at 4:04 PM

I’ve thought about his child on several occasions — there would have been no way for a little kid to get out of the way of his truck in time.

• Chatter Master

November 26, 2012 at 6:07 PM

This man, The Jerk, seems to live everywhere. I’m glad you are okay, and I’m glad it was not a child.

November 26, 2012 at 6:14 PM

At least he has a lot of close relatives (probably the result of inbreeding).

• Chatter Master

November 26, 2012 at 6:40 PM

That might explain the epidemic of idiocy.

20. Megan

November 26, 2012 at 11:58 AM

OH MY GOSH!!! This is insane!!! I’m so glad you are alright. The nerve on some people!! I like to hope that most people are good so don’t let this get you down!

November 26, 2012 at 4:05 PM

I’ve had to repair a flat tire several times in that same area — and every time a motorist would stop and ask if I needed help. As you said, most people are good (and the rest make the world an interesting place to live in).

21. amedicstudent

November 26, 2012 at 12:31 PM

What an awful experience to have gone through – a really very reckless and angry ‘Jerk’! Hope you get better soon and cool ID tags!

November 26, 2012 at 4:07 PM

I’m fine and the Road ID looks even better than the one in the stock photo (I didn’t want to put my name and phone number on the site). My Road ID has a cool picture of a Cyclist on the back.

22. Joy

November 26, 2012 at 12:33 PM

That is an awful story! How scary!! I see why you didn’t press charges though.

23. billgncs

November 26, 2012 at 12:54 PM

wow — glad you are ok. Better get it out with your wife, or ask her to read this post. Rage cannot be reasoned with, sounds like you barely missed out on something horrible. I don’t give people the finger or swear at them any more, life is too short. Just smile and wave, and try to obey the road laws. Too many are mad at someone else.

safe riding!

November 26, 2012 at 4:08 PM

Still thinking about how to tell my Beloved about the incident. This incident could have been a lot worse than it was.

• billgncs

November 26, 2012 at 4:22 PM

let her read the post. It’s a pretty good summary that covers everything, then smile sheepishly.

November 26, 2012 at 4:23 PM

Maybe in a few weeks!

• billgncs

November 26, 2012 at 4:26 PM

I recommend now, only because it may slip out and then you will look bad. But you know best. Good luck.

Or maybe read it, then say, let’s go out for dinner!

24. Papi

November 26, 2012 at 12:55 PM

You’re a good guy…I’m impressed with your level of humanity while faced with such disgusting displays in the way of the Jerk. I cannot imagine that I would have been so compassionate about his situation and reasons especially in consideration of his family life – even if it was for the safety of his family. Your reaction and subsequent actions are nothing short of inspiring. Right on, right on!

November 26, 2012 at 4:10 PM

When I was sitting in the ambulance I planned on pressing charges, but after seeing the guys wife I just couldn’t do it. Her life is probably miserable enough the way it is.

25. charkinzie

November 26, 2012 at 1:03 PM

Good grief. I’m glad that you’re alright. What a bizarre and scary encounter! I think I’d rather stick tot he bears we run into from time to time.

November 26, 2012 at 4:11 PM

Fortunately, we do not have any bears in these parts (except the Chicago Bears). However, we do have more than our fair shore of Pit Bulls and gang members. :)

26. Sandra

November 26, 2012 at 2:02 PM

I’m guessing your wife knows now! :-(
    Jackass. Why are they allowed to breed? (jokingly, but slightly serious)

November 26, 2012 at 4:12 PM

My wife still doesn’t know — since she is not a cyclist she doesn’t read this blog. However, if I ever start writing about Pilates I’ll have to be more careful.

• Sandra

November 26, 2012 at 7:40 PM

Awesome. You lucked out. Well, not really. . .

27. Joboo

November 26, 2012 at 2:06 PM

Glad all has worked out for you!!
    I hear ya on the wife thing!! ;)
    Also, there’s something to be said for being the bigger person!! More power to you!!
    Just another example of why I love the woods!! :)
    Pedal On!!
    Peace

November 26, 2012 at 4:13 PM

Joboo, the off-road trails to look a lot more attractive at the moment!

28. bamboogirl

November 26, 2012 at 2:09 PM

WOW!! I’m sorry that your altercation actually got physical. I’m glad you were not hospitalized! I’m glad you did what you thought was right. I was a volunteer at a woman’s shelter a long time ago and to be quite frank, pressing charges against a violent person is always the best thing to do. Whether the result is a slap in the wrist fine or jail time, it serves to set precedent for anything else that is violent that follows suit and assures the possible domestic violence happening is not just a “heat of passion” type of thing. Attacking a total stranger is different than attacking a spouse. If the wife never pressed charges because she loves him or is so beaten down by his mental wearing down and is a victim of abuse, she will never get out of the cycle and everyone will just assume he never had a history of violence. I would press charges if that happened to me as no one should ever lay a hand on anyone else. I can understand how you felt and did what you did. It wasn’t me and I’m in no way judging your actions, it’s just horrible that someone felt they had the right to hurt you because they have anger issues. Just so glad you are OK!!

November 26, 2012 at 4:17 PM

bamboogirl, if the police would have arrested him for “assault” I might have taken a different course since that could be used against him in court if his wife ever filed charges against him. However, since the cops were only willing to write it up as “disturbing the peace” (a misdemeanor) it would not have helped his wife any. I had to make the decision about pressing charges rather quickly, and am not sure what I would have done if more information was available to me about their family life.

• bamboogirl

November 26, 2012 at 6:14 PM

holy moly. if that was considered “disturbing the peace”, I’m not sure what “assault” would be. sadly, cyclists are much more exposed than motorists. stay safe out there and good call on the ID tags.

29. samlowephoto

November 26, 2012 at 3:03 PM

I’m a RoadID wearer, as well, and while I wear it because I would like for them to do for me what most people would expect, speak for me during a “normal” cycling mishap: I puncture and take a tumble, I swing side on a turn and run off the road, etc. However, since moving back to the Midwest 2 years ago, my exposure to driver vs. cyclist violence has escalated dramatically. It’s ranged from lewd and threatening comments by drivers near me at a traffic signal, to passing motorists hurling half-empty Gatorade bottles at me as they go by at 50+.

There is a “ghost bike” along one of my favorite training routes; a memorial to a rider who was literally mowed down while training in the early morning prior to heading to work. The most recent situation occurred during my favorite weekly shop ride, where the owner of the shop, himself a former competitive cyclist, was bumped by a motorist, and then threatened. It stopped short of your experience.

Your situation goes beyond simple driver irritation at cyclists, obviously, due to the specific background of the perpetrator. You’re to be commended for being so egalitarian. Had I been in your shoes, I’d have likely done the same, as I don’t want to drag an already difficult situation out. I’d hope the city, county, or state would press ahead on your behalf. But bamboogirl has a solid point; if those who are attacked don’t use the means provided for to make change, how can change happen?

Very glad you’re safe. Keep writing. Enjoy your blog a lot.

November 26, 2012 at 4:19 PM

I am kind of used to having things thrown at me — I stay away from the high school when they are letting out. Even though Wisconsin is way up north, they still have a lot of Rednecks! High school boys in pickup trucks love to throw things at cyclists.

30. Carrie

November 26, 2012 at 4:05 PM

Holy cow! Glad to hear you’re OK. That’s so crazy. During one group bike ride, a driver yelled at us because we were “taking up the entire road” when in fact we were riding on the shoulder. It’s really honorable you decided not to press charges. Good luck telling your wife what happened!

31. Casie

November 26, 2012 at 4:17 PM

Wow! It’s a good thing you’re ok! That is crazy that he hit you! Seriously?

November 26, 2012 at 4:21 PM

I would like to know what he was thinking. However, the truth is that he probably wasn’t.

32. meganjanicke

November 26, 2012 at 4:25 PM

I am so sorry to hear that this happened! This makes me so sad and angry. Kudos to you for still thinking of others in this situation. I don’t think I could have kept that kind of temperament.

November 26, 2012 at 4:27 PM

I think if you would have seen his wife’s face you would have done the same thing. It was not a look of anger, but of long-term despair. She told me they had fought (verbally) that morning, but I suspected that it was more than that (and she lost).

• meganjanicke

November 26, 2012 at 4:35 PM

Uggg. Makes me even more sad. I’m glad to hear you weren’t more seriously injured though.

33. meganjanicke

November 26, 2012 at 4:27 PM

This is also a good reminder for me to wear my Road ID. I have one that I consistently forget to put on. Doesn’t do much good for me sitting on my dresser.

34. Dr. G

November 26, 2012 at 4:34 PM

Gald you are okay.

35. Charles Huss

November 26, 2012 at 5:08 PM

Sorry to hear what happened and glad you are okay. It seems that 99 percent of people are good but that last one percent more than cancels out the other 99. I think you should have pressed charges because, along with his other warrant, he may have spent time behind bars where he can’t hurt anybody else. If he is abusive to his wife, your act of goodwill won’t change that. On the other hand, he may have come after you when he got out.

November 26, 2012 at 5:22 PM

Unfortunately, “time behind bars” is fairly short anymore for anything less than murder.

36. Frank Burns

November 26, 2012 at 6:26 PM

A very human story. Thanks for sharing it.
    Although very different to your situation, I once went out for a two hour ride and returned home 10 days later nursing a broken femur. Public enemy number 1?………Black ice! But it was my fault entirely.

November 26, 2012 at 6:40 PM

I’ve been there with the black ice! Even with steel studded tires unexpected patches of ice can ruin your day (or an entire season for that matter).

• Frank Burns

November 27, 2012 at 6:45 AM

Like you, I now wear Road ID. Not just on the bike, but every day. Why not?

37. Irish Katie

November 26, 2012 at 7:56 PM

I have been reading through all of the responses …

Tags … a good idea. Like another reader, I too just started looking at them online.

MOST important … I am glad you are now okay … but it was NOT an okay situation … I am sorry it happened to you.

And … like bamboogirl, my first instinct would have been to press charges….just to get something on record. However, as you have stated numerous times, if the only charges were for distrubing the peace…grrrr’s. I totally understand why you didn’t press charges though. Here in washington and oregon, I believe they take bike/auto incidents a lot more serious ….as well as road rage issues …. so that likely influences my thoughts on the matter a bit.

Another and … SPEAK to your wife. You have given all of your cycling friends very good advice when it concerns biking …. listen to the many here now … you should let her know. She will not like knowing this has happened to you … but she WILL want to know about it. (Think of it this way … if this something similar happened to her, would you want her keeping it from you?) I don’t mean to sound pushy about it … errrr…. but I kinda am nod nods.

I really am glad you are ok.

November 26, 2012 at 8:12 PM

Katie being pushy? NEVER! My sweet wife is a lovely little redhead of Irish descent (though she has never been to the Ould Sod). Unlike some redheads, she does not have a hot temper. However, I just don’t want her to worry when I am away from home. But I promise you that I will tell her very soon!

• Irish Katie

November 26, 2012 at 8:18 PM

*smiles* …then I will stop nagging!

*whispers* … I am not a fiery red haired one either … oh…wonders if I can be pushy about making you take her to a trip to visit the homeland?!?!?! Lots of good places to ride bike … and they have pilates there too!

November 26, 2012 at 8:24 PM

We really do plan on visiting Ireland (as soon as I feel safe leaving our sons on their own). I’ve traveled to Europe and the Middle East on many occasions, but have never been able to get to the Emerald Isle.

38. sarahsdoodles

November 26, 2012 at 8:31 PM

Your logic for not pressing charges is very sound — and quite sad for his wife. Glad you are OK!

November 26, 2012 at 9:19 PM

I hope I did the right thing — but I will probably never know for sure.

39. AndrewGills

November 26, 2012 at 9:40 PM

Glad to hear you weren’t more seriously injured in the attack. And to read your compassion to Jerk’s wife.

I might go out and get me a road id. Especially given that I take medication and don’t always carry my wallet when I ride/run/walk Though I do have an ICE number in my phone (In Case of Emergency).

November 26, 2012 at 9:44 PM

You could really use the Road ID if you are on any medication since it seems like every medicine you take will not “play nice” with other medicines — and the folks at the hospital won’t have any idea of what medicines you are on if you can’t talk.

40. Be fit, be full, be happy!

November 26, 2012 at 9:43 PM

You are a sweet person! The Jerk got off too easily!! :O I hope you are all better now ^_^

41. MikeW

November 27, 2012 at 1:21 AM

Makes me sick to hear this happened to you. Thanks for the Road ID takeaway. Tell you what. Let’s see the next review on best cyclists’ onboard pepper spray on your blog. Next time give him a nasal rinse with it and be on your way.

November 27, 2012 at 10:28 AM

Mike, the funny thing is that I HAD pepper spray — I just didn’t see this confrontation getting physical. When he hit me it was totally out of the blue. If I had thought it was going to get physical I would have gotten off my bike!

• MikeW

November 27, 2012 at 12:31 PM

Yeah because you’re a good citizen. Guys like that need a trip to a brain surgeon. I don’t know why our culture tolerates it. Just zap that aggression center a few times with the Gamma Knife laser and watch him become a good, kind gentleman his wife can’t quite believe exists. If he drools a little bit, that’s no big deal. We have napkins for that.

42. Daniel Undem

November 27, 2012 at 7:04 AM

Wow. crazy story. Glad to hear you are okay and glad to hear the Road Id worked out for you. I never ride without mine.

November 27, 2012 at 10:30 AM

Love the Road ID — once I got about a mile away from my house when I realized I forgot to put it on — decided to ride back home to get — don’t like riding without it.

43. FitAbulous

November 27, 2012 at 9:23 AM

Sometimes you just feel better being the bigger person. I enjoyed reading through the post and got a laugh from te end of it even thogh it was a serious story!

November 27, 2012 at 10:31 AM

Glad we could at least make you laugh! I laugh now, but I wasn’t when I was sitting in the ambulance.

44. mtbtokyogirl

November 27, 2012 at 10:07 AM

ugh sh*t! glad it was nothing too serious! (or maybe it was?)
    anyway happy to here you are ok!

November 27, 2012 at 10:32 AM

My back was a bit sore the next day from where I hit the pavement, not I got over it (and I didn’t want my wife to know anything was wrong, so I couldn’t even complain about it)

45. kurtbredeson

November 27, 2012 at 10:59 AM

Wow, that’s a crazy story! I’m so glad you weren’t more hurt. Irrational people can and will do anything. I’m sorry to admit, I’ve been irrationally angry while driving too, just took it out on my own car and never anyone else. We as cyclists have to be extremely careful at all times, but times like this there’s no predicting. Glad you had your ID. I’ve taken to carrying my license and health card with me on all rides for the same reasons you have your ID.
    It’s just too bad so many drivers are so angry with cyclists and don’t understand that we don’t just have the right to ride on the road, we have the obligation to do so ($300 sidewalk fines in my city prove it).
    Stay safe! At least you’re doing the best you can, short of not riding.

November 27, 2012 at 4:38 PM

This guy was mad before he left home (fight with his wife) and it didn’t take much to set him off. Really makes you wonder how many other people like him are on the road every day!

46. kevinmayne

November 27, 2012 at 1:14 PM

First things first, glad you are OK.
    Secondly – a very brave decision not to press charges, a man of honour indeed. Not sure I would have been so sensitive.

November 27, 2012 at 4:39 PM

Like I told someone else, if you would have seen his wife crying you would have done the same thing. Like most men, I am totally defenseless when confronting a woman’s tears!

• Heather

November 27, 2012 at 8:54 PM

Dude. I’ll echo the “glad you’re okay!” And add that the Jerks response was probably a common response to guilt: offense. Some people can’t bear to admit wrong doing, but are triggered to react somehow. I was married to one of those… It is hell, and people like that need wake up calls to break the cycle. I hope the treatment from authorities does just that. He’ll end up with a happier life, and so will she. Fingers crossed!

November 27, 2012 at 8:55 PM

Let’s hope (for his wife’s sake) that this served as a “wake-up call” to him.

47. Mike M.

November 27, 2012 at 2:40 PM

Glad to read that you’re doing okay, all things considered. Really enjoy your site and stop by when I can. Keep up the insightful product reporting and excellent content, and be safe out there. Best for the holidays!

48. melissakoski

November 27, 2012 at 8:16 PM

Wow I’m glad you’re okay. What an intense experience. It sounds like your grasp of timing and the nursing home is perfect!

November 27, 2012 at 8:50 PM

Thank you! Some of the folks who responded here think I should have already told her. I am not used to hiding anything from my wife, but this one is in a whole new category!

• melissakoski

November 28, 2012 at 7:04 AM

I just know if I were married and my hubby told me he almost got blasted on his bike then got roughed up bya thug I would over-react, not want him to bike and worry my guts out every time he left to bike. (: Really glad you’re okay in the end!

November 28, 2012 at 1:15 PM

I am not as concerned about my wife overreacting as about her worrying while I am out. She is always very calm, regardless of the circumstances, but I know she quietly worries sometimes (like when I am overseas taking photographs in places where no one in their right mind would go).

49. Urban Rider

November 27, 2012 at 9:45 PM

I have had a few run ins with drivers while on my mountain bike….luckily none of them physically assaulted me….you are so fortunate “The Jerk” did not cause any broken ribs or other damage. Personally, I may have pressed charges. If he was capable of doing this to you, he more than likely will do it again. The police may have made him take anger management classes.
    Yes, you should tell your wife. What if the situation were different and she was the one who got assaulted?

November 27, 2012 at 10:30 PM

As soon as I figure out a good way to tell her I will. It’s not that she would get upset or anything like that, it’s just that I don’t want her to worry about me when I’m on the road (and I ride almost every day).

50. fitbellies

November 27, 2012 at 10:31 PM

Glad you are OK. Think your wife may know by now if she reads your blog!!
    I get my husband when ever he is riding to put his licence and phone in his tool bag under his seat. Also I.C.E numbers (in case of emergency). So if God forbid something bad were to happen, the emergency services know how to contact me.

November 27, 2012 at 10:43 PM

Fortunately, my wife does not read this blog! My Road ID not only has my emergency numbers listed, but also my allergies. It has has a code so the paramedics or ER can access all of my medical information. I don’t have the I.C.E. numbers listed on my phone since it is always locked anyway (my phone has all my secure business files and has to remain locked).

• fitbellies

November 28, 2012 at 2:35 AM

Sensible to have ph locked. My hubby does not have a smart ph yet. Ancient blackberry that I desperately want him to get rid of!!

51. jenniferlenhart

November 28, 2012 at 4:37 AM

Glad you are ok… humbling to see how cyclists are treated in different places. (I can never imagine that happening in Amsterdam, although one time I was yelled at). I really hope someday, the roads can be properly ‘shared’ and that bigots (i.e. the Jerk) realize that cyclists actually reduce road traffic & they can then live their idea of an ‘open road’ more aptly. Better bike lanes make a big difference for cars and bikes. In the meantime, I am glad you are safe and that you continue to do what you do. Respect.

November 28, 2012 at 1:19 PM

I love Amsterdam — such a beautiful city (and home of my favorite airport in the world). This incident happened WAY outside of a city where cyclists often ride — this guy was just angry at the world that day and I happened to be in his way.

52. Permie Pedalers

November 28, 2012 at 7:04 AM

I never really thought about the fact that I don’t carry a wallet/ID when going for a short ride…those tags sound like a great idea, thanks for sharing and glad you’re ok!

November 28, 2012 at 1:21 PM

Short ride or long ride — you still have a chance of getting hit by a car. I use the dog tags because if my ID is in my pocket it could easily get thrown out in a crash (don’t like to think about that).

53. fitnessaficionada

November 28, 2012 at 6:09 PM

I immediately laughed at your use of the word “quick” next to the words “50 mile bike ride”! I’m sorry that you had to deal with that jerk, but at least your accident wasn’t worse! On another note, I think you better tell your wife before she reads it here first! :)

November 28, 2012 at 6:12 PM

My normal ride throughout most of the year is 60 miles, but I also do a lot of longer rides as well. If you go through the numerous comments above you will find that the opinion about telling my wife is divided — and I can’t make up my mind as to the best time. However, I promise that I will tell her “when the time is right.”

54. Jessi

November 30, 2012 at 1:24 AM

Wow, that’s awful! I’m glad you’re ok. Does your wife read your blog? Because if so, telling her about the incident is probably a moot point =p. Joking aside, having an ID badge can really save you. A couple of years ago, my husband and I were walking in the parking lot of a state park and we saw this cyclist get hit by a car. He was bleeding from his head and couldn’t tell us who he was. We went through his stuff, but he had nothing that could identify him. He ended up being ok and could talk at the hospital, but it would have been a lot easier if we could have contacted his family immediately.

November 30, 2012 at 11:19 AM

My wife does not read this blog, but about 10 minutes ago I finally sent her an email with the link to this article (at the suggestion of nearly every women who read the article). I don’t know why anyone would leave the house without some form of ID, especially if they are on medication or have allergies (both apply to me).

• canadianinjersey

December 1, 2012 at 5:49 AM

Glad you’re okay. As an avid cyclist with a medical condition (prosthetic heart valve), and being on blood thinners as a result, I don’t leave the house – ever – without medical IDs. My primary ID is MedicAlert (bracelet and necklace) and their Emergency Info card in a waterproof bag with my smartphone. In winter, I wear a RoadID on the outside of my cycling jacket or tights, giving my MedicAlert ID and telling responders to check for my necklace or bracelet. I’ve been in 3 bike spills in the last 3 years, none involving cars, and 1 resulting in my first ever ambulance ride. I wasn’t dangerously hurt in any of them, but I feel a lot safer with my medical IDs.

December 1, 2012 at 11:34 AM

Three spills in three years is a record I do not want to break. Take care!

55. Irish Katie

November 30, 2012 at 1:59 AM

*gentle smile* …

Your articles…and reviews … they are helpful. And then a blog such as this one…tis inspiring. Look how many comments *smiles*

Because of the way you help people….I wanted to give you an award (the Inspiring Blog Award). Tis well deserved. Nod nods.

56. the drunken cyclist

November 30, 2012 at 9:20 AM

Sorry I have not responded, but things have been crazy. First, i am so glad that you are OK. I, too, wear Road ID hoping I will never have to ‘use’ it. Second, while I understand your decision to not press charges, I would be really concerned about his “I’ll kill you” statement. You might never ride that road again, but another cyclist will….

I also understand about not telling your wife. Riding my bike is a huge part of my life and I would be afraid she would want me to stop. If she asked me to stop, I think I would have to out of my love for her. So i would not want to have that conversation….

November 30, 2012 at 11:02 AM

The Jerk has not stopped me from riding on that road — I’ve been back on it several times. I guess the decision not to press charges will always make me wonder if I did the right thing or not — time will tel.

57. All Seasons Cyclist

November 30, 2012 at 11:10 AM

ATTENTION EVERYONE: On November 30, 2012 at 11:00 AM I emailed my wife a link to this article — so she now knows about the incident. I want to thank all of you for your opinions in this matter. It seems like ALL of the women thought I ought to tell her, but the men were evenly divided on the subject.

58. All Seasons Cyclist

December 1, 2012 at 11:37 AM

HER REACTION: OK folks, my wife finally read the article — then she stopped by my office with a smile on her face and asked why I hadn’t told her sooner. We have reached an agreement — from now on I promise to tell her about any cycling accident that involves an ambulance. Sounds like a fair agreement to me.

59. Urban Rider

December 1, 2012 at 12:47 PM

Sometimes people are more accepting and reasonable than you give them for. It’s good that you told her.

December 1, 2012 at 4:00 PM

I’ve always thought my wife was nearly perfect anyway! Her only fault is her choice in men (she could have done a lot better).

60. Urban Rider

December 1, 2012 at 12:49 PM

Oops. Typo. I couldn’t edit…I meant to say give them credit….

61. symanthaanne

December 3, 2012 at 5:37 PM

Seriously mate GOOD ON YOU! for being the bigger person and a selfless one at that. Dude you got to tell your wife this stuff though. (no doubt many others have said this as well) You share all good and bad moments. Cheers!

December 3, 2012 at 6:32 PM

I finally did tell my lovely wife and we have come to an agreement: I promised her that from now on any time I end up in an ambulance I will tell her the same day.

62. symanthaanne

December 3, 2012 at 5:40 PM

Oh by the way, thanks heaps for the ID tags article. This is the perfect present for my dad for his birthday as he has become quite a cycling nut!!!

63. ssmtber

January 23, 2013 at 10:52 AM

In regards to the Jerk, well, hope he eventually has a “come to Jesus moment” before its too late. Sucks the higher road sometimes, good job man. In regards to road tags, thats a good idea. I wear my military dog tags normally, I definitely will from now on. Stay safe man

January 23, 2013 at 12:50 PM

Dog tags are great — military dog tags rock (I’m the father of both a soldier and a Marine).

64. Marcela

February 3, 2013 at 8:24 PM

The dog tags is a great idea. Lol. Tell your wife when she drops you off at the nursing home, not before:)

February 3, 2013 at 9:01 PM

I finally did tell her and she was very kind about it (she is wonderful).

65. kruzmeister

April 15, 2013 at 4:00 AM

Sorry to hear about your run in with The Jerk. I was a cop for 12 years (retired 11 years ago) and am sad to say I have been to a lot of similar situations like that, it is always the average good guy who seems to get slugged by the rageaholic morons that think they have the right to do anything on earth they please. Glad to say I locked a few of them up in my day too! Anyway, happy to hear you pulled up okay after the incident and I too love my RoadID, it was one of the first things I bought when I started training again. Take care out there mate! – Simone

66. ezpc1

July 31, 2013 at 6:39 PM

I’ve just found and read your article about The Jerk and am pained to think you had to go through that because of the selfishness and lack of control of a fellow human being – we can be so heartless to each other at times…..sadly.
    I couldn’t agree more about the dog tag thing – in the UK they have SOS Talsiman and ICEID neclaces, dog tags and bracelets. As someone who is allergic to Penecillin, I wear a ICEID bracelet (velcro fabric with scotch reflective stripes – amazingly comfy) all the time as, like yourself, I like to go for reasonably long cycles of 50 to 70 miles out into the Scottish countryside. The combination of the scottish hills and amazingly quicj to change for the worse weather means I have been grateful to have ICE details to hand should the need arise. Just another something you’ve done that might make all the difference…who knows? – EZPC

July 31, 2013 at 11:35 PM

We don’t have many hills around here — but we do have a LOT of drunk drivers and idiots who love to check their email as they are driving their car! Ride safely!