Trek Soho Commuter Coffee Mug

03 Oct
Trek Soho Bicycle Commuter Coffee Mug

Trek Soho Commuter Mug

I am not a commuter, nor am I a coffee drinker. However, I know of a great product for coffee drinking commuters—the Trek Soho Commuter Mug. This 18-ounce coffee mug has a stainless steel exterior with a plastic interior, and is designed to fit in the water bottle cage on your bike. The insulation in the mug is decent, but the one weak spot is the lid—it is thin so there is going to be some heat less here.

Even though I am not a coffee drinker I have used this mug on occasions—it keeps my Gatorade or other sports drink from freezing in the winter. I know this is not the intended use, but winter cycling forces all of us to make compromises. The only downside of this mug is the height—it is nine inches tall and this might be a problem for small framed bikes. However, if you use the Zefal WIIZ Side Mount Bicycle Water Bottle Cage it should fit without any problem.

If you are looking for the right coffee to put in this mug you might want to try the new Sip, Clip and Go! Coffee that my friend Anna reviewed on this blog a few months ago.

The Trek Soho Commuter Mug retails for $15. The local bike shop I use just a got a new shipment of these mugs in, but I noticed yesterday that they are out of stock at the Trek online store (Item #05650). If you cannot find this mug at you local shop you might want to check out the 16-ounce Travel Mug from Sip, Clip and Go! Coffee (I have not tested this mug myself, but it looks like something that would work well for any commuter).

Posted by on October 3, 2012 in Product Reviews

Tags: , , , ,

15 responses to “Trek Soho Commuter Coffee Mug

1. shecyclesnairobi

October 3, 2012 at 8:23 AM

Very cool. I have often wondered if there is such an item. I am a tea drinker.

October 3, 2012 at 11:02 AM

I am with you! Hot tea is my favorite winter drink. The only problem is that the caffeine in tea is a mild diuretic — when the temperature is below zero I really hate to answer the call of nature any more than is necessary.

2. Carrie

October 3, 2012 at 9:36 AM

Perfect for early a.m. rides!

October 3, 2012 at 10:52 AM

I am in favor of anything that will keep my drinks from becoming blocks of ice!

3. irishkatie

October 3, 2012 at 4:50 PM

Mmm…I LOVE coffee…and tea…but like you, I do not want to have to stop anymore than I have to! Besides which …uhmm…tis harder for “us” to find potty break areas! Haha.

October 3, 2012 at 5:52 PM

Katie, finding a “potty break area” is no problem on the off-road trails — there are trees everywhere. The problem is that frostbite can happen to any exposed skin, and that is something I would rather avoid.

• irishkatie

October 3, 2012 at 5:56 PM

Uhm….it might be easy for you there lol. I am NOT dropping my britches unless I am stuck out there…and NO ONE is around! Oh lord…why am I even answering this lol.

Still…if the hand warmer thing does not work for keeping snack bars from freezing, then putting them in that insulated cup would work nod nods.

4. bgddyjim

October 3, 2012 at 8:34 PM

Coffee…on the bike, oh my that’s fantastic.

5. RayDvD

October 4, 2012 at 4:32 AM

Like the look of it

6. theslipangle

October 4, 2012 at 8:37 PM

Oh dear. I need this! Much better than stashing a thermos in your pannier!

7. bamboogirl

October 10, 2012 at 9:07 AM

Nice Mug! Uh.. if tea is a mild diuretic, then coffee is better drunk in the safety of your home or cafe ;) personally, I order a triple mocha when cycling, so that size fits even the whipped cream! My favorite sustainable + organic “regular” coffee produced in the North America is from Kicking Horse near Banff. I drank it while I was in Whistler Mt. Bike Park and fell in love with its high octane power.

October 10, 2012 at 9:53 AM

I think that riding anywhere near Banff requires industrial strength coffee (and some heavy duty clothing).