Pearl Izumi P.R.O. Barrier WxB Shoe Covers

28 Sep

We had a very dry summer in the Upper Midwest, but fall is finally here and that usually means a lot of long rides in the rain. Riding in the rain can be relaxing (if you are not on a major highway), providing you stay dry. Fortunately, there are many great cycling products that can help keep you dry all day long (see the “Cycling In The Rain” link in the column on the right). If you are looking for a way to keep your feet dry then you should check out the Pearl Izumi P.R.O. Barrier WxB Shoe Covers.

Pearl Izumi P.R.O. Barrier WxB Road Shoe Covers

Pearl Izumi P.R.O. Barrier WxB Shoe Covers

The Pearl Izumi P.R.O. Barrier WxB Shoe Covers are designed for riding in rainy weather and they work great! This product is recommended for road shoes with external cleats. Though they are fleece lined, they are not really intended for cold weather cycling. On a sunny day when the temperature is over 50 degrees you probably wouldn’t even want to use a shoe cover to keep your feet warm (a pair of toe covers will do). However, a rain day with a temperature of 35 to 50 degrees can just about freeze you all the way to your bones. If you are wanting to keep your feet dry in the rain, then these covers are for you. If you are looking for a great shoe cover for winter cycling, I would recommend the Planet Bike Blitzen Windproof Shoe Covers.

The P.R.O. Barrier WxB Shoe Covers are made of 70% nylon, 20% polyurethane, 8% elastane, 1% Cordura nylon, and 1% Kevlar. The sole is made of a very durable Kevlar so you should not have any trouble walking with this cover on your shoes. This cover also has reflective elements (the Pearl Izumi logo) for low-light visibility. These shoe covers have fairly tall cuffs so they will easily fit under your pant legs if you are riding with rain pants on. Like most Pearl Izumi products, this shoe cover is extremely well made and designed.

The Pearl Izumi P.R.O. Barrier WxB Shoe Covers retail for $50 and are available in two colors (Black and Screaming Yellow). This product comes in five sizes (S, M, L, XL and XXL). In my opinion these covers run a bit small, so I would order covers one size larger than you usually wear. If you want a similar cover for your mountain biking shoes you should buy the Pearl Izumi Elite Barrier MTB Shoe Covers.

If you are looking for a fantastic pair of cycling pants to wear in the rain I would recommend the Pearl Izumi P.R.O. Barrier WXB Cycling Pants—they are breathable, windproof, waterproof and they have kept me dry in torrential downpours on days when no one in their right mind would be outside.

Tags: , , , ,

8 responses to “Pearl Izumi P.R.O. Barrier WxB Shoe Covers

1. xcountrypearl

September 28, 2012 at 11:11 AM

I’ve been a puddle pusher and on one very wet 90 mile day, when I stopped for the night at a little motel, I dripped a puddle on the floor of the registration office. The owner offered to dry my clothes for me which was absolutely wonderful. I even allowed my shoes to go too, after I poured out the water and wrung out my socks. I didn’t know then about shoe covers! But I don’t often choose to ride in the rain anymore either. After age 50 I wimped out and became a fair weather cyclist. Love the info on your site.

2. pilaketahoe

October 4, 2012 at 4:03 PM

Reblogged this on Pearl Izumi South Lake Tahoe and commented:
    We love it when the All Seasons Cyclist reviews our gear!

3. Shonnie

October 4, 2012 at 10:24 PM

I love riding in the rain in the summer … feels amazing! Never even thought about it in winter. what do you wear?

October 5, 2012 at 9:10 AM

Riding all winter is fun — the hardest part is the first 500 feet out the front door. As for what I wear, it all depends on the temperature and wind speed. If you click the “Winter Cycling” link on the right hand side of this page you will see some of my favorite pieces of winter gear.

• Shonnie

October 5, 2012 at 12:47 PM

Did I type Thanks or just think about it? I don’t know … so … thanks!

4. Mountainstroh

February 13, 2013 at 10:24 AM

Reblogged this on 10000 Miles of Advice and commented:
    I will be buying a set after reading this, so thought I would share!

February 13, 2013 at 12:24 PM

I would love to know how you like them after you’ve used them for a while! Please let me know.