Clif Bar Seasonal Flavors Are Back!

14 Nov

One of the greatest things about fall is the arrival of seasonal Clif Bars. For the past few weeks every time my wife went to the grocery store she looked for the seasonal Clif Bars and last week they finally arrived! In addition to Spiced Pumpkin Pie and Iced Gingerbread, this year Clif introduced the new Peppermint Stick flavored bars. If you want to try these delicious bars you had better hurry because they are only available until the end of December (or until they run out).

Clif Bar Seasonal Flavors

Clif Bar Seasonal Flavors

I have been an avid consumer of Clif Bars for nearly ten years. During my first year of cycling I tried to eat PowerBar Energy Gels on my rides, but those things always tasted like a high school chemistry experiment gone bad. The first time I tried a Clif Bar was the day I quit buying anything from PowerBar.

Clif Bars come is sixteen regular flavors plus the three seasonal flavors. The Iced Gingerbread is my favorite seasonal flavor and the Black Cherry Almond is my favorite during the rest of the year. Each bar has between 230 and 250 calories and they average around 44 grams of carbohydrates and 10 grams of protein each. And, if you are interested, Clif Bars are also Kosher and vegan approved.

Clif Bars are made with 70% organic ingredients. However, I am more impressed by what they do not contain. Clif Bars are made without high fructose corn syrup, hydrogenated oils, trans fats, or artificial flavors, sweeteners and preservatives.

I am not going to try to list the ingredients in every flavor of Clif Bar, but I think you can get a general idea by looking at the ingredient list for the Iced Gingerbread Clif Bar: Organic Brown Rice Syrup, ClifPro (Soy Rice Crisps [Soy Protein Isolate, Rice Flour, Barley Malt Extract], Organic Roasted Soybeans, Organic Soy Flour), Organic Rolled Oats, Organic Toasted Oats (Organic Oats, Organic Evaporated Cane Juice), Organic Molasses, Soy White Chocolate (Organic Evaporated Cane Juice, Cocoa Butter, Soy Flour, Soy Lecithin, Natural Flavors), Safflower Oil Roasted Pecans, ClifCrunch (Organic Oat Fiber, Inulin [Chicory Extract], Organic Milled Flaxseed, Organic Oat Bran, Psyllium), Crystallized Ginger (Ginger, Cane Sugar), Organic Soy Butter, Organic Raisins, Natural Flavors, Sea Salt, Ginger, Cinnamon, and Spices.

Clif Bars retail for around $1.50 at the grocery stores in my area, and they are cheaper if you buy them in a 12 pack. The best I can tell, fresh-baked Clif Bars have about a nine month shelf life. The grocery store where we shop has a high turnover rate on their Clif Bars, so I have never had a stale bar. However, Amazon.com has a terrible reputation for sending out expired or short-dated Clif Bars, so I think you would be better off finding them from a local store than buying them online.

Posted by on November 14, 2011 in Product Reviews, Sports Nutrition

Tags: , , , , , , , ,

7 responses to “Clif Bar Seasonal Flavors Are Back!

1. Tracy Wilkins

November 14, 2011 at 7:55 PM

I’m not a real fan of Clif Bars, but that pumpkin and gingerbread looks like something I might like! I might grab some if I stumble across them…..

2. pathguy

November 14, 2011 at 9:08 PM

Black cherry is one of my favorite flavors too in the regular season – I didn’t know about the seasonal ones until I saw the pumpkin spice recently. I was a little disappointed with it, maybe because it didn’t taste exactly like the pumpkin spice coffees that are around lately, but maybe I will like the gingerbread instead!

3. All Seasons Cyclist

November 14, 2011 at 10:23 PM

Tracy – The Gingerbread Clif Bar tastes better than some of the gingerbread cookies I’ve had in December. Pathguy – I agree, the pumpkin doesn’t taste like pumpkin pie, but I still like the flavor — it must be one of the spices they use.

4. Lauren Fach

November 19, 2011 at 12:35 PM

Yum. This is great for the holidays. Good stocking stuffers or a snack during a bike ride. I wanna try them all! Thanks for the info!

5. TdF

November 12, 2012 at 12:49 PM

sorry…i do not like clif…I LOVE CLIF :-)

November 12, 2012 at 12:55 PM

Love Clif Bars as well, but I also love several other brands! However, I was delighted when my wife brought home several of the seasonal flavors from the grocery store this week!