6,000 Miles Down And Seven Weeks To Go

12 Nov

Yesterday I passed the 6,000 mile mark for the year. Last December when I set a goal to cycle 5,000 miles before the end of 2011 I never dreamed that I would hit that goal before the end of September. In my area of the country even dedicated cyclists usually hang up their bikes by Thanksgiving, but I ride all year long. Two days ago I spent two hours riding in light snow and I can honestly say that I am looking forward to winter.

The All Seasons Cyclist passed the 6,000 mile mark this week

The All Seasons Cyclist passed the 6,000 mile mark this week

I have ordered a new Surly Black Ops Pug (now called the Necromancer)and the local bike shop I use said it should be in around Thanksgiving. After all the time I’ve spent making fun of “Bike Ninjas” I decided to go over to the Dark Side—the Surly Black Ops Pug is only available in solid black (they call it Necromancer). Not only is the frame black, but so are the spokes, rims and components. However, since this bike will be used to ride in the snow I should still be easy to see (plus I use reflective gear in the winter). The Black Ops Pug has Rolling Darryl rims, 3.8″ wide tires, a Shimano drivetrain and Mr. Whirly offset double crankset. This bike is incredibly heavy, but no one is really expecting you to set any speed records while riding in several inches of fresh snow.

During the past few weeks I have run a lot of reviews for winter bike products and I still have many more cold-weather cycling products to tell you about. The National Weather Service claims the Chicago area is supposed to have the worst winter we’ve had in over 30 years, so it looks like I’ll have a lot of opportunities to try out the new winter gear I’ve bought.

Posted by on November 12, 2011 in Life On Two Wheels

Tags: , , , , , ,

7 responses to “6,000 Miles Down And Seven Weeks To Go

1. Chasing Fifty

November 12, 2011 at 9:41 AM

You are a better man than I am, Gunga Din! I’ve done marathon training in two feet of snow and 40 below zero, but don’t like to ride through the snow. Congrats on crushing your goal, and enjoy the new bike!

November 12, 2011 at 9:09 PM

Chasing Fifty – I have to believe that running a marathon (snow or not) has to be harder than riding a bike in the snow. The hardest part of riding in the winter is the first 500 feet — after that it is all a piece of cake!

2. Sajib

November 12, 2011 at 1:35 PM

Whoa! I’m trying to think how awkward it would be if I try to compare myself with you. :P I’m just trying to learn bicycling since yesterday and I don’t have a bike yet. (Check my blog for more on that). I find it pretty expensive. By the way, does your bike have gears? Do you find it useful? Or bikes without gear, probably referred to as being regular bikes, are better than the ones with gears?

November 12, 2011 at 9:29 PM

Sajib – All of my bikes have a wide range of gears. I think you will find that most of the single speed bikes are used for transportation; my bikes are all for speed and fun! Biking can be very expensive, but I ride to try and keep myself in good shape physically and it is hard to put a price on that.

3. James

November 12, 2011 at 4:49 PM

Congratulations on hitting another 1,000. Bloody brilliant. What are you going to set yourself as a goal for next year? You’re setting the bar high!

November 12, 2011 at 9:16 PM

James – I haven’t set my goal for next year yet. My goal might just be to “have fun” on the new Surly Black Ops Pug. My goal of 5,000 miles for this year (now aiming for 6,500) caused me to spend a lot more time on the road and less time on the bike trails. I love riding off-road, but with my weekly/monthly goals I knew I could grab more miles on the road than I could in the same amount of time on the trails.

4. anniebikes

November 23, 2011 at 11:02 AM

Way to go! I passed 3000 a while ago and I’m pleased. I’m still pedaling on my non-work days, but will give it up when it gets too snowy or icy.